PDA

View Full Version : Steel Garden Edging

dazzler
25th January 2006, 10:41 PM
Hi

Does anyone know what type of steel was used for garden edging in Federation gardens. There is some at old parliament house and Gov Generals Place and is basically long strips of steel plate about 4" wide and 1/4" thick and are placed on edge to prevent the lawn growing into the garden bed.

They are not painted but they dont seem to rust none the less. :confused: Could they have been galvanised?

Could this be replicated today?:confused:

Any ideas?

cheers
dazzler

Shedhand
25th January 2006, 11:32 PM
Hi

Does anyone know what type of steel was used for garden edging in Federation gardens. There is some at old parliament house and Gov Generals Place and is basically long strips of steel plate about 4" wide and 1/4" thick and are placed on edge to prevent the lawn growing into the garden bed.

They are not painted but they dont seem to rust none the less. :confused: Could they have been galvanised?

Could this be replicated today?:confused:

Any ideas?

cheers
dazzlerIts probably been dipped in hot zinc.
Cheers
PS: Love the EEE cream mate.

Jacksin
26th January 2006, 10:55 AM
If you have young kids that play on the lawn I personally wouldnt install metal edging. It could be awfully dangerous if a little one falls on it head first.

dazzler
26th January 2006, 11:44 AM
good point Jacksin

The stuff I have seen is kind of rounded on the edges but would still smart if you fell on it with your noggin:(

Could put that down to natural selection spose;)

The steel is below the surface of the grass section, or level with the roots, and the garden bed kind of slopes down so there is a drop of about 2" or so from the grass to the bed.

Look into my mind and you can see what Im talking about:rolleyes:

cheers

dazzler

postacomment
27th January 2008, 11:52 AM
Hi,
I've seen this edging too, I think it's called FormBoss but it's only available in Australia

ledbe
28th January 2008, 01:09 PM
Howdy,

Just moved in to another house and it has the same metal edging around it. I found a clean supply in the back corner of the yard and it is all dipped in hot zinc (including the reo rods used to hold it in place).

If anyone has found out where to get more of this, let me know?

Also - say no to bubble wrapped kids!

Ben

snowyskiesau
28th January 2008, 03:25 PM
Is this the stuff?

http://www.greenlines.com.au/formboss.php

Sir Stinkalot
28th January 2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the link ..... just the thing I was looking for to replace the redgum sleeper edging in my garden. I find the grass (running) quickly gets around sleepers into the beds. With any luck the steel can be set below the root level and prevent garden bed penetration. Not a bad price either!

ledbe
31st January 2008, 07:49 AM
If you get an approximate price when you are buying it, let us know!

Bleedin Thumb
31st January 2008, 09:33 AM
I use steel edging on all my jobs now. Mostly because I like my designs like my women -very curvatious:)

We use 5.5mm mild steel. We started by using Galv. but it was too hard to weld -grinding away the gal..and now just use untreated...it just doesn't seem to rust:? or at least very slowly.

BTW I have no problems using them in kids playgrounds....the edging always has to be flush with adjacent surfaces to eliminate trip hazards so you are talking about a 5.5 mm profile..thinner than any other edge and no different to a child falling over on any hard paved surface, so its perfectly safe if installed flush.

This photo was taken before the poured rubber softfall was installed. the adjacent granite path also is edged with steel - not that you can see it.

Sorry having trouble with the photo.

Bleedin Thumb
31st January 2008, 10:03 AM
Trying again....

GGrrrrrrrrr never had problems with photo's before. Its asking me to resize it which I have done but still won't rcognise my changes!!!!!!!

Has someone been playing with the settings???? I thought that < 1 meg was the criteria?

Finally Grrrrrrr

Sir Stinkalot
31st January 2008, 08:38 PM
If you get an approximate price when you are buying it, let us know!

The prices are listed on their website. :2tsup:

dazzler
31st January 2008, 09:34 PM
Blast from the past. THanks all.

Bleedin Thumb
1st February 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks Postacomment....welcome to the forum:~

Sir Stinkalot
1st February 2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks Postacomment....welcome to the forum:~

An old unanswered post now has an answer ...... I would suggest :2tsup: not :~. It has answered a question I hadn't even thought about asking.

Bleedin Thumb
2nd February 2008, 11:31 AM
I stuffed around with that picture for half an hour ....if people want to revisit old threads it is good edicate to tell people that it is an old thread...for no other reason that we dont direct our answers to the original thread instigator.