PDA

View Full Version : wooden geared clock

nine fingers
26th January 2006, 03:27 PM
Hi, I found this web site www.woodenclocks.co.uk/index.htm offering free plans for wooden geared clocks. If you look up the site it has 4 clocks available,I choose the plans for clock #1
As I had not attempted anything like this before,the first job was to make indexing jigs to fit the rear of a vicmark chuck,for the spacing of the teeth.
Cutting of the teeth was with a small router (gmc) fitted to a slide controlled by a fulcrum lever attached to the lathe bed.
Cutters were ground from 1/4 inch drill bits,as each size wheel has different shaped teeth. All measurments must be accurate to a fraction of millemetre.
The frame and axles were straight forward in construction.
Modifications had to be made to the winding gears,ratchet,timing wheel and pallets,to get it ticking.
As of today it is loosing about 1 minute in 4 hours,adjustment of the pendulum is still being done.
I used kiln dried redgum (very fine grain )for the gears and axles ,ash for the rest.
No photos available until I get some one with more computor knowledge than I have to post some pics.
Have a good Australia Day
Nine Fingers

bitingmidge
26th January 2006, 03:30 PM
When you get round to posting, could you also post pics of the indexing jig??

If you can't get help, send me a PM
Thanks,

P
:D

nine fingers
29th June 2006, 05:42 PM
I have made another clock,this one has Satin Box gears with Blackwood frame [case]. The running time is about 27 hours with variation of about one minute,depending on tempreture and humidity. As I have another one under construction ,would any members put a figure on it to sell on Ebay. I hope the next model will run for at least 48 -49 hours.
now to try some attachments, the first time.
nine fingers.

Jim Carroll
29th June 2006, 07:42 PM
Excellent work John.
As to what it is worth only you can put a value on it.

Terry B
29th June 2006, 10:18 PM
Absolutely wonderful!!
I can't imagine ever having the skill to produce such an object. As for price, I don't think anyone would pay enough for it to compensate for the hours of work involved.

Terry B

Stuart
29th June 2006, 10:39 PM
Wow! Looking at the plans - great site.

Irrespective of the plans (that look excellent), translating them into an actual object is an amazing combination of skill, and patience.

I take my hat off to you.

BTW - price. Don't think eBay is going to get the price you deserve. I have no idea how long something like this would take, but for an uneducated guess on value - $1000.

Instead, I'd make up 1/2 a dozen or so, then find a gallery and have them as an exhibition where people can buy the works. Given you are in Geelong, you are in a reasonable location for those sorts of galleries. There is one in Williamstown that I have used in the past for a photographic exhibition. They were a bit expensive to exhibit, so I'd find somewhere prepared to work with you.

Let us know when it is on - it'd be worth the trip to see these clocks in person!

PPS - I assume that you have talked to the owner of the website, as he does state the plans are given for personal use only - I guess you need to actually buy the plans for commercial ventures.

dazzler
29th June 2006, 11:19 PM
Hey

Great work:D

Am I reading the site correctly. You attach the stencil of the gear to the timber and send it to a cnc shop or Dr Evil if he is nearby for him to cut with his "laser"?:confused:

this could be fun

dazzler

hughie
30th June 2006, 02:27 AM
I have made another clock,this one has Satin Box gears with Blackwood frame [case].

Nice, very very nice and impressive.

I have down loaded the same drawings some time ago. But put off doing it cos the lack adequate jigging :( .

If your gonna post any pics re jigging I sure would like to see 'em

hughie

nine fingers
30th June 2006, 10:11 AM
Hi Stuart
The clock will be on show at the Barwon Valley Woodwrights Expo november 4 & 5 here in Geelong.
The works of the clock are my own design , layout and construction. Only information used from other plans was the number of teeth on each cog.

Dazzler, all gears were made on the lathe with router attachment.
see first post on this thread.
Will try for some phohos of indexing jig and lathe attachments.
nine fingers

zenwood
30th June 2006, 11:36 AM
Suberb work, nine. Wish I could see them in the flesh. I once built a wooden clock from a kit, and can only imagine the intricacies involved in making all the gears, escapements, etc. so precisely. I believe John Harrison (of Longitude fame) was able to get very accurate and near frictionless wooden clocks by using mixtures of different timbers in his gearing to compensate for wood movement. One of them is still working isn't it? Not bad after almost 300 years.

TTIT
1st July 2006, 12:31 AM
That is one beautiful piece Nine! Very classy!:D:D I've seen some similar clocks done by a bloke in the Coffs Harbour WW club and I seem to remember price tags of over $2000. Don't undercut yourself on it - it's gotta be worth more than $1000.:D Personally, I couldn't bear to part with something like that unless it was staying in the family so I could visit it.:o

Auzzie turner
1st July 2006, 12:34 AM
Very nice indeed (english accent):D

nine fingers
2nd July 2006, 06:01 PM
Attached are photos of the jigs I used to cut the teeth on the gears. I hope this is enough information .
nine fingers

Wood Butcher
2nd July 2006, 06:20 PM
Nine Fingers
Thanks for the links and now the jigs.

The clock is fantastic!!!!

TTIT
2nd July 2006, 11:52 PM
Attached are photos of the jigs I used to cut the teeth on the gears. I hope this is enough information .
nine fingers
"Groovy" set up Nine :)- just making a few mental notes for future projects :D. Thanks for sharing!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd July 2006, 12:29 AM
That has to be the simplest lock-pin for an indexing wheel I've ever seen!

Jig noted and mentally pinched. ;)

hughie
3rd July 2006, 09:48 AM
That has to be the simplest lock-pin for an indexing wheel I've ever seen!

:) Yep, simplicity wins the day again....hughie

zenwood
3rd July 2006, 11:08 AM
Nice jiggery, nine. As simple as it has to be, but no simpler. I like the sliding dovetail and lever actuator. Have a greenie

trover
4th July 2006, 02:24 PM
Now I was at the rocks in Sydney two weeks ago, and next to the $14000 a pair dining room chairs was a wooden clock. It was in a glass case 1200 high 500 wide 300 deep, with wooden gears, but smaller teeth on gears, with an offset pendulum o a linkage to the mechanism. Looked very nice - $8,500 I think.
Your clock is also very well done, along with the jig, no indexing head and miller involved. Congratulations - well done. With the amount of work that is obviously there, it should be an heirloom to be remembered by!