PDA

View Full Version : cathedral doors

mickp
26th January 2006, 10:34 PM
hi all

am building a new kitchen for a customer. the doors, shelves and carcass are all to be pine, the top will be english oak (which the customer is supplying).
my prob is that they now want cathedral doors (still using pine), is there an easy way to make these, have about 24 to do. am thinking of just using a slot cutter in the router table and the inserting a pine panel into it so I can still give it the raised panel look.
but if anyone can tell me of a better/quicker/easier way then I'll listen.

yes I will be making a profit from this job, 1st time for everything.
am also hoping customer has lots of that oak, cos I'm sure the offcuts will stay in my shed

redwood
26th January 2006, 10:55 PM
Mick cathedreals are a pain in the u know what. normal doors the rail meets the stile, on a cathedral when you do it that way the arch comes to a sharp point. it will break. often people sit the rail on top of the stile and shape it into it after glue up. id be interested to hear from our learned members their approach to them:confused:

seriph1
28th January 2006, 06:41 PM
could you please post what you mean by Cathedral Doors? Do you mean a pich-arch at the top of the door? If so, there are ways of doing a Gothick style door that will meet their requirements I reckon and not be too hard to build.

mickp
28th January 2006, 11:41 PM
thats exactly what I meant steve. whats the gothic stuff look like, if its easier for me I may be able to change the blokes mind

redwood
29th January 2006, 12:02 AM
could you please post what you mean by Cathedral Doors? Do you mean a pich-arch at the top of the door? If so, there are ways of doing a Gothick style door that will meet their requirements I reckon and not be too hard to build.

Steve , can you show what you have in mind. Propper cathederals arch smothly into the stile. some use a step at the bottom of the join because of the break out factor but is wrong. the original gothics were stone so it didnt matter, they flowed smothly. thats why its common they sit the rail on top of the style. id be interested to hear your methods:D :D

seriph1
29th January 2006, 01:26 AM
I think I need to see some pics and post a couple of mine when I can find them but to achieve a Gothick look/feel may be different in the client's mind/maker's mind and my mind. One way of recreating the feel is to take a standard stile and rail cabinet door and apply a Gothick style infill. This will give the look of Gothick paneling within a square framed door. I think about this issue a lot as I would love to panel our hallway like this. I believe it would be a matter of cutting a series of shapes that would then be molded and fitted into the frames. Years ago I toyed with the idea of reproducing some panels I saw at a major restoration centre in Melbourne (seeing as they refused to sell the originals to me) using polyurethane or similar. i.e. make one panel as a pattern then mold them. I have seen this done in plaster successfully.

I found this link, which might be a help - http://www.newyorkcarver.com/geometry/geometry.htm

I will try to find some images of what I mean - if others could too, that would be great as this is a topic close to my heart

have fun!

ps. I mean Pinch-Arch in my previous post, not Pich

seriph1
29th January 2006, 01:41 AM
one more to ponder

http://www.woodstockfurniture.co.uk/Kitchens.projectdetails.lasso?projectID=18

redwood
29th January 2006, 01:55 AM

seriph1
3rd March 2006, 12:20 PM
a few pics I was able to scan today (after a new scanner arrived)

have fun