PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question #3587

craigb
27th January 2006, 01:10 PM
Here it is:

How do you tell when it's time to change your respirator cartridges?

(And don't say when you can't breathe anymore :rolleyes: :p )

dan_tom
27th January 2006, 02:12 PM
Hi Craigb

I just bought one yesterday (and what a difference! no more nose-wood putty!) and the back of the box said when you can start to smell wood dust again you need to change the filter. I guess this sort of advice is more obvious if using a noxious gas or spray paining or something. Seems to me that by then it would be too late? Maybe check the website of the company brand and it might be able to tell you a more specific time frame. I guess it depends how often you use it.

Cheers
Dan

bitingmidge
27th January 2006, 02:59 PM
Glad to see you came to your sensed Dan!;)

Smelling stuff is the sure-fire way to tell that it's not working any more Craig.

Using a pre-filter (like a disc of blotting paper) will prolong cartridge life too.

Cheers,

P

Termite
27th January 2006, 03:48 PM
When you turn blue and fall on the floor. :D

craigb
27th January 2006, 03:55 PM
Well I'm anosmic so smelling isn't an option. :(

I s'pose I could ask the missus but I doubt if she'd wan't to wear my mask.:eek:

They are quite a "personal" piece of equipment. :D

bitingmidge
27th January 2006, 04:33 PM
Well I'm anosmic so smelling isn't an option. :(

I suppose the expression "welcome as a fart in a space suit" is lost on you then?

P
:D

bitingmidge
27th January 2006, 04:35 PM

Given that the simpler alternative isn't satisfactory, I think you'd better stick with plan B. (see I didn't say it!)

P
:D :D :D

dan_tom
27th January 2006, 05:40 PM
Maybe colour? The filter papers on my respirator are white - don't know whether they would discolour when it is time to change them - but a good guess if you've lost your sense of smell.

Cheers
Dan

bitingmidge
27th January 2006, 05:47 PM
Dan,

Colour change doesn't work if you're sanding epoxy, or gyprock, or limestone or anything else that's white. By the time the pre-filter has blocked to the extent that you can see it, you'd be the same colour as the face mask (assuming you have a blue silicon one).

Cheers,

P

craigb
27th January 2006, 06:47 PM
(assuming you have a blue silicon one).

Nope. Got a green one.

What I do now is regularly take the caretridges out and tap them on the bench.

Wen doing this no longer leaves a white filter on the inlet side I buy some new cartridges.

I'm probably not getting terrific mileage out of my cartridges this way though.

Oh well, better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

I just thought that there must have been a bit more of an objective way to tell when they are full than doing a sniff test. :rolleyes:

Where's Eastie? If anybody knows, he does. :)

craigb
27th January 2006, 06:48 PM
I suppose the expression "welcome as a fart in a space suit" is lost on you then?

P

Not really. I wasn't always anosmic.

journeyman Mick
27th January 2006, 11:49 PM
Craig
how did you come to be anosmic (if you don't mind me asking) and does it affect your sense of taste (I've always been told no smell = no taste other than sweet, sour, salt & bitter).

Mick

craigb
28th January 2006, 08:17 AM
Craig
how did you come to be anosmic (if you don't mind me asking) and does it affect your sense of taste (I've always been told no smell = no taste other than sweet, sour, salt & bitter).

Mick

Bad upper respiratory tract infection about 20 years ago. You know how you lose your sense of smell when you have a cold? Well sometimes it doesn't come back.

The medicos all say that if it hasn't come back within 3 to 6 months then it never will and there's nothing you can do about it. :(

Yes taste (flavour actually) is dependant on your sense of smell so like you say, it's sweet sour bitter salty only without smell.

I can taste some flavours though so I must have a little bit of a sense of smell just not enough to register in the nose.

Craig

bitingmidge
28th January 2006, 09:47 AM
I can taste some flavours though .
So everything really does taste like chicken??

P
:D :D :D

journeyman Mick
28th January 2006, 04:43 PM
Craig,
bummer!:( (I really LIKE food) So do you still really enjoy a good meal and a glass of red for instance (other than in an abstract- "well this is nice company and it's a really well presented dish" type of way?)

Mick

rrich
28th January 2006, 05:09 PM

Actually, that is the answer. When breathing becomes difficult, the filters are pluged.

Sorry,

craigb
28th January 2006, 06:52 PM
So do you still really enjoy a good meal and a glass of red for instance

Yep. Like I said, I can still detect some flavours. Funnily enough fruit is one of the things that I can still pick up. I can tell I'm eating a banana or a melon for instance and not just by texture.

However as much as I like a red, I'm never going to have a career as a somelliere (sp) :rolleyes: .

I can't pick up the flavours in wine really, although I know some people with their sense of smell that can't do that either. :D

It is a bit of a drag though I must admit. Especially as having smelt in the past I know what I'm missing out on. :(

C'est la vie I guess.

Cheers
Craig

PS Thank God for chilli! :D

Auld Bassoon
28th January 2006, 07:04 PM
Hi Craig,

Mate that has to be a bugger!

I really like food (and wine!), and the smells are an almost equal part to the tastes and textures. Losing one's sense of smell must be a complete bugger.

Cheers!

craigb
28th January 2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Craig,

Mate that has to be a bugger!

I really like food (and wine!), and the smells are an almost equal part to the tastes and textures. Losing one's sense of smell must be a complete bugger.

Cheers!

Yeah it's a bit of a PITA Thanks for the understanding though. :)