PDA

View Full Version : First Up - G'Day, Secondly - Thanks

Glenn_M
27th January 2006, 08:35 PM
Hi All,
Been reading the Forums for a few weeks now, originally found it when doing research for a drill press for my new shed. (Moved houses and was without a shed for over a year - nearly drove me nuts but thats another story).

Anyway, when reading the posts while looking for info on tools I was struck by a) the amount of good info here and b) the willingness of many to share their knowledge. I have also seen some posts recently commenting that people don't always thank those who provide this valuable information.

Fair enough I reckon - I certainly have learnt a lot here, stopping me from making some expensive mistakes. So to all the contributers, thanks for the input. I'm sure there are many others like me reading who have also benefitted.

Although a strange thing has occurred since I've been reading here........I used to skip over all the pages in the Carbatec catalogue with planes and chisels but now............

I remember back to the distant past when my dad gave me a jack plane, tenon saw and hammer and started a little kit of tools to teach me woodwork which I carried on through high school and now as a hobby. Could be worth a revist......

Anywhoooo Cheers all!

Glenn

ozwinner
27th January 2006, 08:41 PM
Although a strange thing has occurred since I've been reading here........I used to skip over all the pages in the Carbatec catalogue with planes and chisels but now............

Noooooooo.........Glennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Dont do it......................................

Al :eek: :p :D

outback
27th January 2006, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the fold. Feel the force Glenn, feel the force.

keith53
27th January 2006, 09:57 PM
Noooooooo.........Glennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Dont do it......................................

Al :eek: :p :D

Allllllllllllll............., are you OKkkkkk mate.........:D

journeyman Mick
28th January 2006, 12:00 AM
...................Anyway, when reading the posts while looking for info on tools I was struck by a) the amount of good info here and b) the willingness of many to share their knowledge..............

Glenn,
you forgot: c) the thread hijacks :p and d)the meaningless drivel:eek: :D ;)

Mick (hijacking driveller ;) )

Ivan in Oz
28th January 2006, 05:16 AM
Hi All,
> nearly drove me nuts but thats another story
Glenn

Glenn,
You're not there YET!
It's when it drives you NUTTIER!!

One has to be Nuts to start with;
to be Nuttier, I know...........:o :eek:

Glenn_M
28th January 2006, 08:13 AM
Glenn,
you forgot: c) the thread hijacks :p and d)the meaningless drivel:eek: :D ;)

Mick (hijacking driveller ;) )

Hi Ya Mick,

Yeah, I certainly noticed that the thread title was sometimes more of a suggestion rather than an indicator of the actual content.

Regarding the meaningless drivel well........sometimes you go to the circus to watch the clowns dont you?;)

Glenn

Glenn_M
28th January 2006, 08:19 AM
Glenn,
You're not there YET!
It's when it drives you NUTTIER!!

One has to be Nuts to start with;
to be Nuttier, I know...........:o :eek:

G'Day Ivan,
I reckon the shed keeps me sane. Nothing better after a day in the office than a bit of "workshop therapy". Even if its just tinkering about rather than actually making something. Even, dare I say, cleaning the workshop? It amazes the wife that I'll vacuum the workshop each day after working in it, but it doesn't occur to me that the house could do with a clean occasionally to. Wonder why that is......:confused:

Cheers,
Glenn

Christopha
28th January 2006, 08:51 AM
Why the bloody hell is this touchy feely crap in the woodTURNING forum instead of down below in the bloody bilges where it flamin' well belongs?????

You're welcome Glenn, enjoy the wrath!

bitingmidge
28th January 2006, 09:42 AM
Why the bloody hell is this touchy feely crap in the woodTURNING forum instead of down below in the bloody bilges where it flamin' well belongs?????

Errrr.... aren't all turners "that way" inclined??

P
;)

Auld Bassoon
28th January 2006, 04:55 PM

I remember back to the distant past when my dad gave me a jack plane, tenon saw and hammer and started a little kit of tools to teach me woodwork which I carried on through high school and now as a hobby. Could be worth a revist......

Anywhoooo Cheers all!

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Had a look at Lee Valley's catalogue - or the Lie Nielsen web site lately?

Be warned, however, that consumption of these materials can lead to major wallet depression:eek: - but much satisfaction :D

Glenn_M
28th January 2006, 10:23 PM
Hi Steve,
Yes, I found the Lee Valley site a weeks or so back. So many tools, so little money......However did get quite a few ideas and am off on a jig building spree. Got some bits from Lee Valley and Woodpeckers on the way.

Seriously though the cost of these things (planes ans chisels etc) is a bit scary. They would surely be nice but I think my mak electric planer is not going to be out of a job in the near future.

Cheers,
Glenn