PDA

View Full Version : Pyrography

Good Wood
19th November 2001, 03:29 PM
I would be grateful for any help and suggestions about signing work with a pyrograph.

I make small turned boxes (70-100mm diameter) which are increasingly more detailed and often contain inlays. These are beginning to sell!!

I have been asked to sign them, and write the timber/s name. As a result I need to use something which is very fine and can be held like a pencil, that is, close to the end for accuracy. I have tried several things but nothing has the required delicacy. On page 181 of Mike Darlow's book "Fundamentals of Woodturning", there is pictured such an item; a 2 wire pyrograph but it seems to end in one narrow wire.

As I live in Townsville (no jokes please) it is not possible to call in at my local woodturning shop. Any ideas?

Also, is there anyone out there who is into wood coollecting; that is small samples of different species. If so I would like to hear from you especially if you are in Queensland.

John Elliott
Good Wood.

RETIRED
19th November 2001, 05:54 PM
Gooday.

John, forget about pyrography for signing work. it leaves a charred edge that can be a real pain to remove.

Also it is an art in itself.

The best way I found to sign work that is cheap waterproof and easy to use is an Artline pen. They come in sizes down to .5 mm

Check out your local newsagent or stationary store.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Hartley
28th November 2001, 12:40 PM
Hi John,
I too, have ruined a good piece of work trying to sign it and write the name of the wood with a pyrograph.
I find a cheap Laundry Marker (Safeway) excellent in that it has a very fine point and will also write on waxed surfaces.

Good luck with the boxes.

Regards ... Hartley

------------------