PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast lathe query

big scot
29th January 2006, 08:19 AM
I've just bought a M410 5-speed (370-650-1200-2000-2700rpm) 240v 1hp single phase short bed lathe. I'd like to convert it to variable speed. I think the original model had a 1.6hp motor (24-3800rpm) fitted.
Can someone help me with the other details of the motor spec, such as speed, pulley and belt details and also if possible the inverter details.
I think I need to buy a 3phase motor and connect it (in delta) through an inverter, but I'm not sure what motor and inverter to buy and whether I need to change the 5-step pully arrangement.
Also, is Woodfast still a going concern, there's not much news to be had in England on these lathes or the company, except that everyone has a good word to say and a very good reputation exists.
Looking forward to hearing from someone with good news for me.
Thanks,
Big Scot in England.

Happy amateur
29th January 2006, 09:25 AM
Axminster power tool centre sell woodfast lathes
I presume they would be able to assist you.

Fred

big scot
29th January 2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks Fred, but unfortunately Axminster have moved over to Jet / Powermatic for their large lathes and their technical department don't seem to hold much info on Woodfast now.
Thanks for such a quick reply.

morsetaper
4th February 2006, 04:22 AM
Try Craft Supplies U.S.A., www.woodturnerscatalog.com

rsser
4th February 2006, 06:44 PM
Seem to recall some discussion on this forum about whether WF still made lathes. Try a search.

Edit: www.timbecon.com.au (http://www.timbecon.com.au) sell WF accessories, but not the kind you're looking for unfortunately

China
4th February 2006, 10:55 PM
Big Scot
Woodfast no longer make lathes (very puzzling to most of us) however they still make most of the accesories.
There is some talk of another manufacturertaking over the paterns ( just hope it's not some Chinese mob)

big scot
5th February 2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks Guys.
I'll follow up rsser and morsetaper suggestions and check out the links. I'd agree with China too that Woodfast's lathe manufacturing demise seems a damn pity.

Would have thought the market was big enough for this size and quality of lathe if their price was right, but although competition is a good thing for the customers in keeping prices down, maybe it does take its toll as well.

But who would say lathes are not expensive?