PDA

View Full Version : Website for the handtoolers

derekcohen
30th January 2006, 06:06 PM
Have a look at http://www.wkfinetools.com/

Info on handtools - historical and practical, tips, plus many of the tool reviews I have done!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Farm boy
31st January 2006, 06:23 AM
thanks derek
i book marked the site for later
greg

Waldo
31st January 2006, 11:53 AM
G'day derekcohen,

Just spent the last hour reading through bits of the site, in particlar restoring planes. (I should really be getting some work done ;) )

Like Farmboy, I've also bookmarked the site.

Thanks for the great link.

Andy Mac
31st January 2006, 12:48 PM
I got waylaid in there! Thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Wood Borer
31st January 2006, 01:20 PM
It's in my favourites now too - thanks Derek.

Auld Bassoon
31st January 2006, 07:39 PM
Listed, noted - and kept for moments when I'm not being pursued by folks wanting answers...

Thanks for that, noting that your articles get quite a prominent positioning...

Beefwood Pete
1st February 2006, 01:28 AM
Hey, cool site Derek. I've bookmarked that one.

Beefwood Pete
3rd February 2006, 08:08 AM
By the way Derek, that plane you made that you use as your avatar - is it nice to use? What angle is the bed? Do you have a web page about it?

derekcohen
3rd February 2006, 02:31 PM
Hi BP

No website on the plane, although I have described it several times to others here-and-there.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Tools%20that%20I%20have%20made/Stanleyinfill1.jpg

It started as an attempt on my part to build an infill plane out of a Stanley #4 about 4 or 5 years ago. This was partly an exercise in design, so it has a rather spacy, modern flavour.

I found a derelict shell, ground out the internals, and filled it with Jarrah. The bed angle is 55 degrees, the mouth is very, very fine. The blade is a full thickness (1/8") LN and the cap iron came out of a Mathieson woodie. The reaining brass I cut and filed out of a solid block.

How does it work? Very well. It takes such fine shavings that it is reserved as a finishing smoother for difficult woods.

Regards from Perth

Derek