PDA

View Full Version : Architraves and Cladding

DavidC
30th January 2006, 09:56 PM
Hi forum

I have just completed most of my cladding all except around entrance door.
The Clad is James hardie - linea and is 16mm thick
so if you look down side edge of cladding it will be 30mm because of lapping thickness.
My problem is how to butt the door jams so as the architraves will cover over clad on door jams. because of thickness.The door james only protrude out by 15-20mm. The jam is 110mm wide and I have already fitted and inside architraves worked fine and flush with gyprock.

If cladding of 5-9mm was used it would be fine

But 16mm thick clad seems to pose a problem.

I thought maybe if I used thick bullnose architraves say 19mm I'd get away with butting the clad upto the architrave and using no mo gaps weatherboard to seal clad to the architrave.

Does anyone now how the best way
:)
here is a link to the type of board I use
http://www.jameshardie.com.au/Products/Weatherboards/LineaWeatherboard/

echnidna
30th January 2006, 10:02 PM
2 choices.
1. A small packer on front of the jamb. Use silicon in the join so its basically weatherproof.
2. Use a thick arc and rebate the section that fits over the cladding

silentC
31st January 2006, 09:14 AM
Why not use the Linea window adaptor butted up against the side of the jamb?

seriph1
31st January 2006, 07:21 PM
As suggested, couldnt you use a packing piece and then butt the WB's up against the architrave?

silentC
1st February 2006, 08:19 AM
The window adaptor is designed for this situation. It has a slight recess so that you don't see the edges of the boards. Check the James Hardie site for information.

Keep in mind that if you use a packer it will be visible between the jamb and the 'architrave'.

seriph1
1st February 2006, 08:29 AM
the adaptor reminds me too much of those godawful edges people stuck on the sides of retro-fitted vinyl cladding jobs...... I guess if done right it would look OK - if colour matched with the boards or Architraves to be as invisible as possible ....... hardie's have some nice products though!

http://www.jameshardie.com.au/Products/Weatherboards/LineaWeatherboard/Accessories/

silentC
1st February 2006, 08:38 AM
You just paint it with whatever you paint the weatherboards with. It's aluminium, not PVC and it matches the boxed corner if you're going to use that.

There are probably a dozen ways you could do it, including milling up a trim to suit. This is the 'Hardies' way for finishing Linea around openings. I prefer it to their other option of using a 3" board to frame the opening, but that would work too.