PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl (follow up to catching thread...)

CameronPotter
30th January 2006, 10:52 PM
Hi all,

First of all thanks to all those who helped me - especially Kev Morse.

He invited me down, showed me a thing or two then to top it off he gave me two "reject" blanks.

Well, here is my first attempt at a bowl using such a "reject".

I used U-Beaut finishes (Vic Woods' rotary sander to 1200, EEE, Shellawax Cream). Put it this way, it is hard to get wrong!

Anyway, thanks again and I suspect that this will be the first of many.

Oh, also, I got sprayed by the Shellawax the first time! Oops...

Cheers

Cam

ps It looks better in real life, but ain't that always the case!

Cliff Rogers
30th January 2006, 11:04 PM
Good on ya Cam, look pretty good to me.

TTIT
31st January 2006, 12:29 AM
Good to see you got finally there ! Pretty good stuff for a first shot. Worth a greenie I think. What's the wood???

KevM
31st January 2006, 07:35 AM
Cameron,
Great job, has come up a treat, well done.

See how long it takes for someone to come up with the timber species.

Kev M

CameronPotter
31st January 2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks fellas.

I tell you what, I was pretty stoked with how it turned out and the timber just glows.

TTIT, I'll take Kev's advice and let you all have a guess at the timber, but put it this way, it shouldn't be all that hard...

On another point, how do you best photograph shiny wood? On a cloudy day (ie like metal work)?

This one turned out OK (for at night inside), but I took about 8 pictures before I was happy.

Cam

ptc
31st January 2006, 09:09 AM
Huon ?

CameronPotter
31st January 2006, 09:17 AM
Told you it was easy... first try!

Cam

RufflyRustic
31st January 2006, 09:25 AM
Lovely Wood, Brilliant Finish and a beautiful bowl - I especially love the edge detail!!!

Great Job!

Cheers
RufflyRustic

keith53
31st January 2006, 09:26 AM
Well done mate. You've made a nice, useful bit of kit there. At least you knew where you were headed with it. My first bowl started out with just mucking around with a piece of she-oak. After half an hour or so and a lot of shavings I had.. a... sort of ... bowl..:D I was so surprised & excited I forgot to put a finish on it.

CameronPotter
31st January 2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks again.

I had a blast doing it and using all of the polishes are fun as that is when it goes from being a hunk of wood into a glowing hunk of wood.

Out of interest, I think that I may have over sanded a bit as there is a slight swell in the bottom (as the sander wasn't too keen on sanding the centre). It is able to be felt, but not seen.

How is this addressed? I am not fussed about it, but the bowl was basically flat bottomed to begin with...

Do you need to account for this by starting off with the centre cut slightly deeper than the surrounds, or simply be more careful with the sanding?

Cheers

Cam

KevM
31st January 2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks again.

I had a blast doing it and using all of the polishes are fun as that is when it goes from being a hunk of wood into a glowing hunk of wood.

Out of interest, I think that I may have over sanded a bit as there is a slight swell in the bottom (as the sander wasn't too keen on sanding the centre). It is able to be felt, but not seen.

How is this addressed? I am not fussed about it, but the bowl was basically flat bottomed to begin with...

Do you need to account for this by starting off with the centre cut slightly deeper than the surrounds, or simply be more careful with the sanding?

Cheers

Cam

Cam,
You will get a greater sanding effect with the rotary sander the further you are from the centre of the item.

In the Q & A's on the rotary sander the following is advised regarding the difference:-

The sanding action and the speed with which the work is done is completely dependant on the timber going past the sanding disc. For instance if the sander is placed on the outer rim of a 300mm (12 inch) platter spinning at 1,000 rpm the sanding head will be running at between 900 and 9,000 rpm depending upon how the head is applied to the surface. Whilst at the centre of the same platter spinning at the same speed the head will only run at approx. 300 rpm or less.

You need to keep this in mind when sanding, the further out you sand, the less time you leave the sander in that spot.

regards

Kev M

Baz
31st January 2006, 07:23 PM
Cameron, well done, looks like I will have to find another excuse to back to Tassie.
Cheers
Barry

Wayne Blanch
31st January 2006, 10:44 PM
:) Fantastic for a first try - I wish my first bowl was that good. I think it ended up square:D. Aint Huon great to work! Congratulations

CameronPotter
1st February 2006, 08:51 AM
Yeah Kev, I had figured that out (afterwards).:o

As for coming down to Tassie - it is a great place, and like you really need an excuse!;)

Cam

Tool Man
2nd February 2006, 07:16 PM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
beautiful work.
love the design. look forward to seeing more of your work