PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Hartley boat owners

Aberdeen
30th January 2006, 11:01 PM
To anyone who owns, has owned, intends to own or knows anyone with the aforesaid -

I am wondering if there is a Hartley Boat Owners Club anywhere? Other than the TS16 type sail clubs.... 'cos I'm more into motors than wind :rolleyes:

There have been literally thousands built by pro's and amateurs from around the 1930's - there must be still a lot out there that have survived the years? My information is that the plans are still selling well around the world....... have just ordered my second set.

Come on you woodie Hartley owners.......

Glenn down south of Adelaide

Boatmik
1st February 2006, 08:14 PM
To anyone who owns, has owned, intends to own or knows anyone with the aforesaid -

I am wondering if there is a Hartley Boat Owners Club anywhere? Other than the TS16 type sail clubs.... 'cos I'm more into motors than wind :rolleyes:

There have been literally thousands built by pro's and amateurs from around the 1930's - there must be still a lot out there that have survived the years? My information is that the plans are still selling well around the world....... have just ordered my second set.

Hi Aberdeen,

I had a browse on the net and couldn't find anything. Maybe someone else will have better luck or insight.

But it is a really great idea - as you say - there are so many of them out there and they are historically important.

If a Richard Hartley hadn't been born it would have been necessary to invent one.

Perhaps you could put a website together yourself? It is not too much harder than writing a wordprocessor document these days.

Michael

Aberdeen
2nd February 2006, 12:09 PM
Michael
Had the same bad luck looking on the net. I agree that there should be something for these historical boats.. Sad thing is I have 2 websites already to keep up with, plus work :( , plus helping the good wife with her business :eek: , plus a kid still at school :confused: , plus boat building..... :D phewwww... where can I get some spare time ???

Can you think of any other options, eg maybe a sub-site on the woodie forum dedicated to Hartley's ??

Just had an email from a chap in NZ, still has a couple of his Dad's boats from over 30 yrs ago and still going strong. He is presently building the 37 foot Marksman although only about half way thru - a big job. His brother still runs a 16' Hartley that is 20 yrs old and as solid as the day it was built. (All stink pots)

Glenn

Hi Aberdeen,

I had a browse on the net and couldn't find anything. Maybe someone else will have better luck or insight.

But it is a really great idea - as you say - there are so many of them out there and they are historically important.

If a Richard Hartley hadn't been born it would have been necessary to invent one.

Perhaps you could put a website together yourself? It is not too much harder than writing a wordprocessor document these days.

Michael

Daddles
2nd February 2006, 12:21 PM
Create a yahoo email group Glen. Dead easy to do and self running. Create a page on your website to advertise it, plus word of 'email'. Not a problem.

Richard

Aberdeen
2nd February 2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks Richard
I think I have set up the group okay???

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hartley_boats/

Now need to work out where to go next???

Glenn

Create a yahoo email group Glen. Dead easy to do and self running. Create a page on your website to advertise it, plus word of 'email'. Not a problem.

Richard

fxst
2nd February 2006, 08:16 PM
Good luck with your site Glenn. I won't be visiting though to many ads to their sites for me even 9msm is easier to deal with ....if its in the right mood :D ......
good luck from a ts 21 owner
Pete

Aberdeen
2nd February 2006, 08:27 PM
Hi Pete
Seems I'm a little ignorant on the matter of Yahoo and the like.
I assume from your comments that posting there seems to attract unwanted attention from spammers and the like ?

Happy if you can enlighten me a bit more.

Glenn

Daddles
2nd February 2006, 09:51 PM
Being a member of a Yahoo email group does NOT attract you unwanted attention from spammers and the like. I'm on about ten of the damned things, a few of which I set up myself. There are no problems apart from dickheads on the list and they can be dumped by the moderator of the list (and in this case, if the moderator, Glenn, doesn't, he'll have me to answer to and I KNOW WHERE HE LIVES **we need an 'evil' smilie**.

Sorry, shying away from yahoo groups is displaying internet paranoia and while this disease is often warranted, in this case, it isn't.

Richard

Aberdeen
2nd February 2006, 10:02 PM
Okay Richard I'll accept your reality of things Yahoo... after all I know where you live also and can always send on the spam :D

Glenn

Being a member of a Yahoo email group does NOT attract you unwanted attention from spammers and the like. I'm on about ten of the damned things, a few of which I set up myself. There are no problems apart from dickheads on the list and they can be dumped by the moderator of the list (and in this case, if the moderator, Glenn, doesn't, he'll have me to answer to and I KNOW WHERE HE LIVES **we need an 'evil' smilie**.

Sorry, shying away from yahoo groups is displaying internet paranoia and while this disease is often warranted, in this case, it isn't.

Richard

fxst
2nd February 2006, 11:32 PM
Spam doesnt worry me I use throw away addies . its the ads that annoy the crap outa me
Pete

Aberdeen
2nd February 2006, 11:44 PM
Pete
Ads are a pain I agree.
Have had an offer to set up a forum in the boat building forum if a few people show an interest. Wouldn't mind it in this one. However the offer has come from their moderator...... could get lucky and move from Yahoo if enough people respond to his request for anyone else interested ;)

Jeff has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Hartley Boats - Yahoo group - in the Wooden Boat Building and Restoration forum of Boat Design Forums.
This thread is located at: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10336&goto=newpost (http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10336&goto=newpost)
(please click the above link to reply on the forum itself - do not reply to this email)
Here is the message that has just been posted:
Any time a few people are interested, we would be very happy to add a forum here.
Would anyone else be interested in such a forum?
To reply: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10336&goto=newpost (http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10336&goto=newpost)

Spam doesnt worry me I use throw away addies . its the ads that annoy the crap outa me
Pete

Boatmik
3rd February 2006, 09:04 AM
Howdy Aberdeen,

I am sure that whatever you do there will be someone who doesn't quite like the arrangement.

The important thing in life is "to do something". If it is a little bit wrong you can fix it later.

A much lower penalty than doing nothing!!!

And what you are planning is a great idea. So onward! Please!

Generally if you are getting something for free on the net you will be paying in another way. Fair enough too. Maybe there are better alternatives than Yahoo, but their newsgroups must be popular for a reason.

Maybe someone has a suggestion as to what those alternatives are? Midge - are you there?

Did you get my email about going with yahoo (or similar) vs the forum on the boatdesign.net? The yahoo approach is easier to find and offers a greater degree of flexibility. Use it as "proof of concept" and when you get heaps of people ... then add a forum to boatdesign.net. They will feed off each other nicely (all the references to the yahoo site on Boatdesign will lift your google ranking so you get a better position when people search on Hartley)

And above all keep up the good work.

MIK

Boatmik
3rd February 2006, 09:23 AM
Howdy all,

I just had a closer look at all the pages on the Yahoo Duckworks forum.

There is a banner ad at the top of the page. About as big as the ad for the Hats on this forum.

There are three two line text ads at the bottom of the page.

I don't understand the above comments at all.

If there are ads that pop up in seperate windows (I don't get any - ever!) get firefox or one of other newer browsers (thats why!) that have a simple option to click to prevent all ads from popping up. Makes browsing pain free.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Particularly if you dislike ads so much.

When it is installed go to the top of the window and click on Tools/Options/WebFeatures and click the box for "Block Pop-ups"

Done! You will never be bothered again! Well by pop ups anyhow.

MIK

fxst
3rd February 2006, 10:25 PM
Its ok Glenn just me and a dislike of yahoo which goes back a long way in puter terms
I'll survive tho enjoy it all that enter
Pete

rum runner
16th June 2006, 05:38 PM
Hi to all this is my first login so I will get straight into it.

Six years ago I bought a 21-foot half cabin timber boat. I have had tinnies up until now, but I was not put off being a joiner by trade. I am told that it is a Hartley design
but I would like another opinion. (see photos) It took about three months to get her into good condition so we could get out on the water. The boat is built form coachwwod marine ply and mahogany and has been glassed over from new. It has a v birth, a stand up galley and head and the helm is in the cockpit. It is not the kind of boat you would take into a heavy sea but we do use it off Sydney and broken bay in slight seas. It is powered by a Volvo AQ 170 with a 280-drive leg. Top speed 56 klm per hour, cruises around 45 and eats up 12 litres per hour, so for about $70.00 we can have a good day out.
I keep it in a shed all the time so over the last five years I have been doing all the extra bits and keeping up the maintenance so she looks her best.
It has been a lot of fun owning and working on a timber boat, people comment on
how she looks at the boat ramp and say it is good to see a real boat for a change instead of the lollypops that are every were these days. I would like to know more about Hartley boats so maybe some forum members can fill me in look forward to talking to you in the future goodbye for now Rum runner.

NeilR
17th June 2006, 04:39 PM
Rum Runner, thats a lovely boat. My father build one of that design about 45 yrs ago and for the life of me, I cant remember the design name. It was a great sea boat and we caught tons of fish in it. The memories come flooding back! It had a 250 falcon engine with shaft and prop arrangement but cant remember what sort of speed he used to get out of her althoug it was quick.

Re the other Hartley queries, ive owned and lived aboard/cruised a 51ft Hartley "Dateline" cruising yacht for 4 yrs when my kids were younger. True to Hartley form, it too was a fantastic sea boat and a pleasure to own.

Ive also owned a Hartley TS21 some time back although I sold it shortly after restoring her.

Currently I have a 24ft gaff rigged sharpie that I built recently - not Hartley sorry :)
Rgds
Neil

rodv
23rd February 2007, 09:56 AM
We're building a Hartley Marksman 37 in Scotland. We've started planking the hull. We've got a website at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/z8000736/main.html
We'd be delighted to hear from anyone interested.
Cheers,
Roddy

Aberdeen
23rd February 2007, 06:57 PM
Hi Rum Runner
Seems I must have missed your posting back then...... the boat looks great...... about to start building it's little brother.. an 18' Vixen.... still trying to decide between fitting an outboard or a stern drive as with yours....

Glenn

Aberdeen
23rd February 2007, 07:35 PM
Hi Roddy
A serious boat.... makes my next Hartley 18' Vixen look like a puppy....
Have book marked your site and will watch the progress with great interest......

:2tsup:

Glenn in Adelaide, Sth Australia

PS Also noted your joining the Hartley boat group on Yahoo.... welcome aboard..... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hartley_boats/

We're building a Hartley Marksman 37 in Scotland. We've started planking the hull. We've got a website at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/z8000736/main.html
We'd be delighted to hear from anyone interested.
Cheers,
Roddy

Bleedin Thumb
23rd February 2007, 08:08 PM
I used to sail a Hartley/sparkle? tri a long time ago and from memory the stories were all about how the hartley brothers came to grief from various misadventures with their tri's can anyone tell me if this was true?

Aberdeen
23rd February 2007, 08:23 PM
Mate,
Don't know about those stories... did read an article somewhere a long time back about Richard Hartley but can't recall anything about their misadventures in tri hulls.... I think Richard has been gone quite a few years now and hadn't been able to dabble with boats and designs for something like nearly 30 yrs... but his legacy continues.. A lot of the more recent improvements to designs etc I believe comes from his accomplice Colin Brookes over there in NZ. Colin I believe is still kicking around and involved in the business..... Maybe an email to him might shed some light on your query? [email protected] ([email protected]?subject=website noticeboard)

The Designers....Hartley boats have all been designed in house by Colin Brookes, Richard Hartley, Jock Read and John Avent.

Glenn aka Aberdeen

I used to sail a Hartley/sparkle? tri a long time ago and from memory the stories were all about how the hartley brothers came to grief from various misadventures with their tri's can anyone tell me if this was true?

Aberdeen
23rd February 2007, 08:34 PM
Bleedin Thumb
Just a thought... was it the ORIGINAL Hartley Boat designs from NZ or a more recent entrant in Trimaran designs from Lenoir, North Carolina USA ?

http://www.trihulls.com/about.htm

Glenn

Bleedin Thumb
23rd February 2007, 09:24 PM
Bleedin Thumb
Just a thought... was it the ORIGINAL Hartley Boat designs from NZ or a more recent entrant in Trimaran designs from Lenoir, North Carolina USA ?

http://www.trihulls.com/about.htm

Glenn

No Glen I'm talking about 1975-76 and the boat had seen a few years by then I'd guess mid 60's build at the latest.

I'll do some research & get back to you.

Buzza
23rd February 2007, 10:27 PM
Maureen & Barry Wright were charters of the Murray River. They did this from about 1973, and when they did a revision in 1987, they used a Hartley Trailer Sailer minus centre-board and mast. :rolleyes:

I harboured a secret desire to do this trip going upstream with sails. The Wrights did have a land based back-up group though. :cool: I think it may be a great boat to camp in. :U

I thought I'd add this story, as it a part of our history that the Wrights charted the river and had a great seller in "River Murray Charts Renmark to Yarrawnga", which lots of people seemed to want to own badly.

Bleedin Thumb
24th February 2007, 03:06 PM
Found this on the net.

A good insight into what it was like sailing trimarans in the 70's. A lot of them seem to go down. Whenever you went on a long voyage every one would share their trimaran horror stories with you. It was one such session prior to a trip to Noumea when I heard of how the Hartley Bros came unstuck.
These stories may be urban myth so it would be nice to know the truth.

http://www.multihull.com.au/www/pdf/pdfs/bris_to_glad.pdf

hartley '68'
3rd November 2007, 04:36 AM
hi mate how u doin im a 20 yr old male living in sydney and a very proud owner of a hartley built 1968 14.72m half cabin. Dont know too much about these boats and very excited too see this forum. Ive owned my boat allitle under a year and it has seen better days the old bloke i bought it off was the second owner of this and glassed it with fibre glass locking in moisture now threating to destroy my pride and joy. Wanting infomation on these boats and would love any help from what seems very proud ppl building and restoring Hartleys boats

mabelsgift
3rd August 2009, 12:58 AM
I built a Hartley tri and they never bothered to reply to a couple of letters I sent them while I was building. A few days ago I asked for them to put me in touch with people who had built the designs I am now interested in building myself and they refused, I asked for pictures and pointed out that their website has very little information on. Their response was It's unfortunate that you feel our website and ideas are so bad, we also feel it would be better if you took your business elsewhere, we don't need customers like you and the possibility of us connecting you with any of our other obviously happy customers is of course absolutely zero." I suggest that anyone wanting to build looks elsewhere. Bruce Roberts is very helpful, Mike Waller is great, Ian Farrier always helps. The Hartley boat group seems to e barely alive, I'm not surprised.

kim s
10th August 2009, 06:41 PM
I built a Hartley tri and they never bothered to reply to a couple of letters I sent them while I was building. A few days ago I asked for them to put me in touch with people who had built the designs I am now interested in building myself and they refused, .

Hi mablesgift,

I have just found this site and Saw your post.
I have just aquired a sparkle/ lively28. and I have orderd a sett of plans and have now waited for 2 weeks.Short curt reply to any inqureies as to when Iwill receive the plans. not impressed so far.
Fortunatly I all ready have the boat and wanted the plans to check on the cross beams, as the originals (if they are) have rotted away and fell apart.
where are you in uk? Do youstillhave the tri.

Cheers

Kim

Aberdeen
10th August 2009, 08:42 PM
G'day gentlemen and any ladies reading,
Re Hartley Service etc.... sadly Richard HARTLEY passed away many, many years ago.
I had great success with queries some maybe 5 years ago and corresponded with his original partner (and co-designer and designer in his own right) Colin BROOKS. I believe even back then Colin was only taking an interest in the business and not involved full time... given his age....

I can now only assume Colin has either passed away also or is too old to effectively 'steer' the new generation in customer service. I had a couple of what could be described as terse replies back then and they didn't originate from him.

It could only be assumed that the business of old and the fantastic assistance has now fully migrated to someone who really doesn't care, or worse still doesn't know anything about the designs or business principals and ethics.....

If so, it is a sad chapter in this wonderful historic enterprise... :C

Kev da Fridgee
10th August 2009, 11:06 PM
G'day, A, how are you going........ as to the Hartley issues, yes they have dropped off the "Service" so tospeak, i waited about four weeks for my plans and never got an answer to any of the questions at all point blank

billyh
13th September 2009, 10:00 PM
they never bothered to reply to a couple of letters I sent them while I was building.

I suggest that anyone wanting to build looks elsewhere.

The lack of Customer Service from Hartley is unbelievable.

I placed a substantial order for plans, books and other stuff about a month ago but didn't get any confirmation that my order was received.

I did however get a confirmation from the Royal Band Of Scotland that the money had been taken from my credit card. The RBS confirmation clearly states that this is not a confirmation that Hartley have received the order or were processing it and that I should contact Hartley for confirmation that the order had in fact been received.

I copied the transaction details into an email to Hartley and asked if the order had been received and when it was likely to be dispatched. All I got was a curt response saying "read our website!" That was it nothing else!

I then emailed Hartley back including the full email from RBS that clearly stated that this was not a confirmation and also stating that I should contact Hartley for confirmation. Again, all I got was an unbelievable short email reply - "Your question was already answered!"

I emailed again (copying the email to their UK & USA addresses) stating that all I wanted was to know if the order had been received? However I received no reply whatsoever.

So I've still had no response, still received nothing and yet Hartley have had my money for nearly 5 weeks now. I think it's time to get a refund from the Credit Card people.

I think that we all know that any reputable company would be able to confirm that an order had been received. Hopefully, they'll soon realise that a business that has no consideration or time for their customers won't be able to carry on indefinately.

I came across this forum when I "Googled" Hartley customer service and it seems there are very many unhappy customers getting no satisfaction from Hartley!

billyh

b.o.a.t.
14th September 2009, 01:34 AM
What did you order?
cheers
AJ

billyh
14th September 2009, 05:12 AM
What did you order?

As stated in my previous post, books and plans!

At the end of the day it doesn't make any difference what I ordered.

How difficult would it have been to answer my question, which was "have you received my order and when will it be dispatched?" rather than send two curt and useless replies.

billyh

b.o.a.t.
15th September 2009, 02:38 AM
I was actually interested in what you are proposing to build, but never mind.
Judging by past reports, you'll get your plans & stuff.
Eventually.

Happily for you, NZ is far enough away that you'll never have to even think of the place
again once you have received them. If you want to, you can probably make life difficult
for everyone by reporting fraud to your card provider at this point. Your stuff is probably
in transit by this time. The card provider & insurer probably don't care. Hartley &
Brookes clearly don't care about their business reputation. It's already lower than a
snake's belly so you can't damage that.

cheers

SimonP
20th September 2009, 04:30 PM
It's such a shame that designs that have brought so much joy to sailers should be marred by a lack of interest and sheer rudeness from the company that owns the plans. The last thing a boat builder needs is anything that dampens enthusiasm.
The following sites may help:
Hartley TS forum
http://dsn.au.com/phpBB3/index.php
The local association which sells plans (TS16) and may be able to source plans for other Hartleys (thanks Mik for this)
http://www.ts16sa.yachting.org.au/

owene
24th September 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm also building a Hartley New Marksman, stretched out to 40'. Piccies at www.english-family.net/boatbuild (in date order 1991-present) and hope to have hull completed by Dec-2009. Be interested to hear from anyone else building any of these boats. [email protected]

owene
3rd July 2010, 11:08 PM
Yep without doubt, that's a Superstyle which was plan drawn at 17' 6 but has been nicely stretched by spacing the aft frames wider apart. Know these well. I'm the NZ chap mentioned about and I'm building a 37' New Marksman stretched to 40'. You can see it all at New Page 1 (http://www.english-family.net/owen/boatbuild/index.htm) and 2009 (http://www.english-family.net/owen/boatbuild/2009/) (has to split the site into two halves to make manageable!). Damned good seaboats and I'd say yours would be fairly OK in heavy seas with that sort of power. Do you know what ply thickness was used on the bottom? Cheers Owen [email protected] :2tsup:

m2c1Iw
4th July 2010, 10:13 PM
Wow that is some project, good on you.

lowlander
15th October 2012, 03:13 AM
G' Day,

I am building a Hartley scamp 15 .
Is there anyone who builds this type of boat

Regards, Lowlander

agb
10th January 2018, 09:05 PM

Hi Glen, have worked on several Hartley boats including one at present would be good if there was a hartley club ? [email protected]

AGB

agb
10th January 2018, 09:20 PM
Hi Glen,

I have worked on Hartley boats and also doing up one at present.
Would be keen to know of HARTLEY CLUB I am also in the south of Adelaide [email protected]

agb