PDA

View Full Version : Jet or Dewalt Thicknesser

Ingin
31st January 2006, 01:52 PM
Has anyone a view on these two items. The Dewalt 735 at $1190 Vs the Jet at $800? The DW is a 13 inch/10,000rpm and the Jet is 12/8000 rpm, but they look very similar in other ways.
Appreciate any views

mkemila
31st January 2006, 03:17 PM
The Dewalt 735 is a three knife thickness planer (not sure about the Jet) and of all the articles I have seen about it produces the finest cuts

peter
31st January 2006, 05:12 PM
The new Jet is 13" and two speed. A really nice machine in my opinion. You can also pick it up for under $800.

bloggs1968
31st January 2006, 05:29 PM
Injin,

I have the jet 13" two speed and use it commercially. Great finish. little or no snipe. Sometimes I want for a larger machine but not often.

Try Gary Pye woodturning ( http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/330thicknesser.html ) price $699 and he is good to deal with.

Hope this helps.

AD

routermaniac
31st January 2006, 06:56 PM
have you thought about the delta at $599 from carbatec, currently on special?

Ingin
31st January 2006, 07:16 PM
I wonder, is the dewalt 735 really so much better than Jet or Delta, as it ia up to double the price. Is it a case of you get what you pay for really?
The reports posted on the 735 certainly tell a good story.

underused
31st January 2006, 09:45 PM
If You are going to use it on a daily basis, I would recommend You look at a thicknesser with thicker, resharpenable blades. The dewalts blades cannot be sharpened, and have a bit of a growing reputation for losing their sharpness quickly in hardwoods?:confused: This is what has made me hesitant in buying one.

Cheers.

dan_tom
1st February 2006, 09:35 AM
Has anyone bought the $599 on special deal from Carbatec (the Delta)? Would be interested in your experiences/thoughts. We'd be using it for hardwoods.

Cheers
Dan

felixe
1st February 2006, 08:38 PM
The delta looks good, I was thinking of it myself, but the jet at $100 more seems better value for money when it comes with 2 speeds and 3 blades not 2 like the delta machine.
I am going to wait for the working with wood show 'cause I want to look out for the jointer/thicknesser combo from carbatec ( the ml392 ) and the combo from gregory machinery (TRUPRO PTRJ-2600A) to see what is around for about $1000.

mudguts
2nd February 2006, 12:06 AM
The delta looks good, I was thinking of it myself, but the jet at $100 more seems better value for money when it comes with 2 speeds and 3 blades not 2 like the delta machine.
I am going to wait for the working with wood show 'cause I want to look out for the jointer/thicknesser combo from carbatec ( the ml392 ) and the combo from gregory machinery (TRUPRO PTRJ-2600A) to see what is around for about $1000.
hi

I'm not trying to hijack but, when is the www show on in melbourne.

Cheers

Cliff Rogers
2nd February 2006, 12:25 AM
Try typing 'working with wood' into google. ;)

http://www.workingwithwood.com/

Brisbane Working With Wood Show
Dates 12 - 14 May, 2006
Venue RNA Showgrounds, Fortitude Valley
Sydney Working With Wood Show
Dates 2- 4 June, 2006
Venue Royal Hall of Industries, Hordern Pavilion, Sydney
Adelaide Working With Wood Show
Dates 14 - 16 July, 2006
Venue Royal Adelaide Showgrounds, Wayville
Perth Wood Show
Dates 11- 13 August, 2006
Venue Robinson Pavilion, Royal Showgrounds, Clarement
Canberra Working With Wood Show
Dates 8 - 10 September, 2006
Venue Bundawang Pavilion, Exhibition Park, Mitchell
Melbourne Working With Wood Show
Dates 20 - 22 October, 2006
Venue Melbourne Exhibition Centre, Southbank

Looks like it's last.

redwood
2nd February 2006, 12:27 AM
At $600 you would be silly not to get the Delta over the Jet:)

mudguts
2nd February 2006, 12:31 AM
Try typing 'working with wood' into google. ;)

http://www.workingwithwood.com/

Brisbane Working With Wood Show
Dates 12 - 14 May, 2006
Venue RNA Showgrounds, Fortitude Valley
Sydney Working With Wood Show
Dates 2- 4 June, 2006
Venue Royal Hall of Industries, Hordern Pavilion, Sydney
Adelaide Working With Wood Show
Dates 14 - 16 July, 2006
Venue Royal Adelaide Showgrounds, Wayville
Perth Wood Show
Dates 11- 13 August, 2006
Venue Robinson Pavilion, Royal Showgrounds, Clarement
Canberra Working With Wood Show
Dates 8 - 10 September, 2006
Venue Bundawang Pavilion, Exhibition Park, Mitchell
Melbourne Working With Wood Show
Dates 20 - 22 October, 2006
Venue Melbourne Exhibition Centre, Southbank

Looks like it's last.

Shanx cliff. You're a good man doing all that typing.

Cheers

TassieKiwi
2nd February 2006, 05:26 PM
I like my 735. Noisy bast@rd. It has its own powerful chip extractor which is good as I don't have a DC yet. It leaves a top finish - a few strokes of the ol' #7 or BU jack an all is cool. Leaves Myrtle glowing. I have worn down a few blades, tho' cant see why a DerekII sharpener wouldnt sharpen a few times. Blades are a rip-off $140 a set. I swindled a third set when I bought it, so still have lots left (six sides)
Tip - if you are dressing recycled or old dusty timber, reserve a 'dull' set and do all the first 0.5-1mm of all the faces first. Change to nice sharp blades and continue. DAMHIK......:p
The jet looks OK - there is a bigger floor mount that has a moving table and will take moulding blades for about $1200 - nice quiet induction motor too.

felixe
3rd February 2006, 02:34 PM
Redwood - I have to ask, why?
Do you own the delta thicknesser?
I am assuming the delta is chinese made like the delta saw I just bought, do you know where Jet are made?
I thought that the ability to change "speed" for feeding timber would be worth the $100 extra.

underused
3rd February 2006, 10:03 PM
Im not sure about the thicknesser, but alot of Jet tools are made in Taiwan. Almost all Delta tools are made in China these days...
Taiwan has a better reputaion for producing quality/QC, compared to China. China's quality control can be somewhat slack. I'd go with the Jet personally. If I had the money and space, I wouldnt go with the benchtop thicknessers at all;)
Cheers. Gary.

redwood
3rd February 2006, 10:54 PM
Redwood - I have to ask, why?
Do you own the delta thicknesser?
I am assuming the delta is chinese made like the delta saw I just bought, do you know where Jet are made?
I thought that the ability to change "speed" for feeding timber would be worth the $100 extra.

i own the single speed jet and have used the delux with the two speed. both are under powered and struggle and i didnt like the post locking on the two speed which is a single lever that you lift. i had more snipe on the delux than the basic one. the best thing about the delux is the preset depth knob for standard sizes. and when a machine is underpowered like them 2 speeds isnt as important. i got the new jet 2006 cat the other day and the new 13" isnt twin speed but single. i think they worked out as well that its unessary. the delta is more powerfull and has fantastic colum locking and it had zero snipe. and both delta and jet are only twin blade. id save the $100 and spend it on better quality spare set of blades. basicly the end result of the 3 machines is identical. and the china/tiawan issue isnt even a factor with me when it comes to cheap machines. get the cheapest they are all good for the money.:D oh and in the new cat the big boy linisher is now oscillating...fantastic... gotta save for that now:D

redwood
3rd February 2006, 10:58 PM
If I had the money and space, I wouldnt go with the benchtop thicknessers at all;)
Cheers. Gary.

Agree. get the $250 gmc and put the rest away and save for a 15 or 16" the little one frustrates the hell out of me and its not even over worked:(

felixe
4th February 2006, 08:06 PM
Fair enough then, thanks for the feedback. I might save my money for the wood show after all.