PDA

View Full Version : Matching Render

jimc
1st February 2006, 01:09 PM
I need help. My house was built 80-100 years ago and is surrounded by bouble brick wall up to window plate height. It has been finished in a render that has soft raised random bumps all over it. These bumps range in size from 2cm to .5cm and often join.
I have seem this finish many a time on early deco houses around Melbourne.

My problem is I have to patch some fairly large holes in the brickwork and (hopefully) match the surrounding area.

Anybody got any ideas?

Tools
1st February 2006, 06:45 PM
What you are looking at is called stucco.You will find it very difficult to invisibly patch,and the pool of renderers that are able to do it is dwindling.Best to ring some renderers and look at other stucco jobs that they have done.
Tools

huc
6th February 2006, 11:11 AM
What you need to do is cement render the area flat, let this set. Then you somehow need to flick small lumps of cement render on top of this. Then get a steel trowel and lightly flatten these lumps of render. Hopefully you have a match. Try a test patch first. Hope this helps

andrew

barnol
31st March 2006, 05:10 PM
I've just finished blue boarding part of my house and intend using "stucco" to cover up some....ok, a lot of inperfections.
I'm after some tips and tricks as well but I once saw a guy with a small machine that flicked cement onto a wall as he turned a handle, I didnt stick around long enough to see what he done after that.
I was also told that you can splash the stucco on with a paint brush then trowel it smooth but so far, Im still in the dark.