PDA

View Full Version : Stabilisation

CameronPotter
2nd February 2006, 09:19 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone did their own stabilisation and if so, what did you use?

Selleys has just released a glue called Aquadhere Durabond - it is a polyurethane glue. I have found two good sets of instructions. One says use Minwax Wood Hardener, one says use Minwax Polyurethane.

The only wood hardener I have been able to find is by a company called Earl's, but I couldn't find any info about them on the web and the bottle didn't say what it was.

The Selley's glue is MUCH cheaper, but it is also thicker and is slightly brown coloured (although it may go clear when dry).

Any advice?

Cheers

Cam

darley56
2nd February 2006, 09:44 AM
You're talking about a lot of work I do my own Stabelized wood especialy with spalted wood, you need a vaccum pot or chamber and a vaccum pump, pot is easy to find you can use a large pickle jar now the pump is another story all depend how thick is your pocket, you see to stabelize wood he as to be vaccum at 20 atmosphere that mean no air at all by sucking the air out the liquide or what hever you use go into the fiber of the wood, when the vaccum is done let sit over night your wood will be at the bottom of the jar, remove and let dry a week or so, turn as normaly you will do for a pen but no dust here very fine thread of wood and plastic

CameronPotter
2nd February 2006, 09:54 AM
Yep, I know the process, but I want to know which would be better, the polyU or the wood hardener?

What do you use?

Cheers

Cam

darley56
2nd February 2006, 09:59 AM
Yep, I know the process, but I want to know which would be better, the polyU or the wood hardener?

What do you use?

Cheers

Cam
Both will do the same work but will prefer the wood hardener, I can't find where I'm so I use aceton and plexi:eek: :D

CameronPotter
2nd February 2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks.

The wood hardener I found is just at our local Mitre 10 near the glues.

It is having a big sale today, so I might get some.

I have seen a vacuum set up where you can use heating and cooling to produce the vacuum. Super cheap, maybe a little more work.

Cam

darley56
2nd February 2006, 10:02 AM
Now 1 question where do you find Minwax woodhardener here in OZland?

darley56
2nd February 2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the reply will check this one out

CameronPotter
2nd February 2006, 10:04 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean Minwax Wood Hardener, the brand I found was Earl's Wood Hardener.

Cam

darley56
2nd February 2006, 10:18 AM
no worries

Dave52
2nd February 2006, 10:23 AM
Hello Cam and darley56.

I have read this thread with interest and hope I have not misunderstood what its all about. I guess the idea is to impregnate timber like burls and other bits with holes in it so that it can be turned without flying about?
I recently turned a bowl out of a blackwood burl, but had to trim the outside on the bandsaw to be able to get the burl onto the lathe. I have been trying to think of a way the use the offcut for pens. Is your tecnique useful for this idea?:confused:

CameronPotter
2nd February 2006, 10:29 AM
Basically, yes.

The idea is to fill the holes and pores in wood or antler or a vast range of things with some kind of resin which fortifies the wood/antler/etc - making it stronger and heavier.

Pen turners do it a lot, as do knife makers.

It is especially useful for turning weak spalted wood into a tough wood-resin hybrid.

Cam

CameronPotter
2nd February 2006, 10:38 AM
I just found this site:

It looks like they are using the "Vacuvin" manual vacuum pump.

I have one of those, I might give it a go...

Cam

darley56
2nd February 2006, 02:14 PM
I just found this site:

It looks like they are using the "Vacuvin" manual vacuum pump.

I have one of those, I might give it a go...

Cam

Thanks for the site but which site are you talking about? any address?
Manual vacuvin pump wno't work, so look like you don't have any set up for stabelizing and din't done any before, now find your Earl's wood hardener luky I got thick skin and strong mind but at $ 24.98 per 250ml you must be kidding I use 3 litre of acetone ( when I stabelised my wood ) at $ 12.30 per litre and plexi, now you don't have to be rocket sience to figure out which way is more economical.

CameronPotter
2nd February 2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah, it is expensive unless you buy it in bulk. I got a litre for $25 today (40% discount voucher).

Sorry about missing the link :o

http://www.roarockit.com/rc_wood.php

This site says that their pump (which looks just like a Vacuvin pump) can pull 24 Hg of vacuum. I have been told that you only need 20.

Finally, what is plexiglass? Where do you get it from and how do you use it?

Cam