PDA

View Full Version : Makita 3612 guides

bennylaird
2nd February 2006, 10:44 AM
Up till now I've used the Makita in the Triton table, pity about no speed control though.

I have been trying to find guides for it in order to use it hand held with templates.

Anyone know when I can find some guides. Are they specifically for a certain router or are there universal guides? :confused:

bennylaird
2nd February 2006, 10:53 AM
http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/hand-held-router-accessories-344_2.aspx

Maybe this is the go?

Greg Q
2nd February 2006, 11:30 AM
maybe one of these? I have the black one, and the guides. The only problem is that they are sized to fit the LV plate only. Porter-Cable guides are the standard, but I don't know if there is an adapter for the Makita router base.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51208&cat=1,43000

Cheers
Greg

bennylaird
2nd February 2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks Greg got me on the right track, thanks.

Will keep looking.

bennylaird
2nd February 2006, 11:53 AM
Funny about that, read them manual. Makita does make them as an optional accessory just don't have them listed at their web site. Emailed them for a part number and source. Just a bushing held with two screws.

silentC
2nd February 2006, 12:03 PM
They are optional spare parts from Makita. I bought a couple for mine from the local power tool shop. He had to order them in though.

bennylaird
2nd February 2006, 01:03 PM
I'll do the same, Makita Australia might email me the part numbers if I wait long enough lol. Thanks.

underused
2nd February 2006, 06:33 PM
Thats Your best bet mate, go straight to Makita.
I own a 3612c, and even here in Japan I have to order parts for it directly from Makita. Nowhere else seems to stock them.
Cheers. Gary.

Sprog
2nd February 2006, 06:35 PM
I'll do the same, Makita Australia might email me the part numbers if I wait long enough lol. Thanks.

Try this

bennylaird
3rd February 2006, 07:56 AM
Try this

Beauty thanks mate......:D

mat
3rd February 2006, 09:07 AM
I bought the Makita template guide adapter. With this you can use any generic 30mm screw in template guide. I bought mine primarily to use with a leigh dovetail jig but many of the brass router bushing kits such as the one from carbatec then just slip in.
The carbatec kit would then give you 8 different sizes for an additional $39
Carbatec Cat RM-9

IMHO this gives a cheaper and more versatile way to go rather than the individual sized template guides Makita makes (assuming you want more than 1 size)

bennylaird
3rd February 2006, 09:22 AM
Found the RM-9 in the catalogue but couldn't find it on their web site.

Buy the way still not a sausage from Makita Australia, maybe one day they will reply.

cornwel0
5th February 2006, 01:24 PM
18774Makita do have a reasonable range of guide bushes but I found the sizes a little confusing so I cobbled together a table showing each Makita guide, and the standoff for each guide/cutter combination for a few cutters up to 25mm.

I reckon the Carbatec solution is probably a better way to go if you haven't already bought the Makita guides....

By the way bennylaird, you aren't the only one having problems getting an answer from Makita, I ended up having to ring them up.

bennylaird
6th February 2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks cornwel0 , have not had a chance to get any as yet, been too bust selling (tasting) wine, lol.

I am so sick of companies that go to the trouble of providing an emailing address for inquiries and then never bother to have someone respond. Says a lot about how they value a customer.

Template Tom
1st March 2006, 11:10 AM
Up till now I've used the Makita in the Triton table, pity about no speed control though.

I have been trying to find guides for it in order to use it hand held with templates.

Anyone know when I can find some guides. Are they specifically for a certain router or are there universal guides? :confused:

Find a good tool store and they will order them in for you They will not know how they are used but at least you can get them. Though I must admit they are not always readily available.

I can honestly say I was responsible for Makita reinserting the template guide into the 3612 Router box a few years ago (THough they have still to admit it) And I suppose they are wondering why they did it. There has been no information presented with the router on how they are used therefore they again are being left in the box and never used. I was also reponsible for them changing the size of the guide from 16mm to 40mm.

I would be interested in those who purchased a 3612 in the last two years and tell me what you did with the 40mm Guide
Tom

Wood Butcher
1st March 2006, 01:51 PM
I think that there are about 5 guide thingys in a box at work. (Dad likes his makita router!) I'll see if they are still there tomorrow when I see him and ask if he wants to get rid of them.

Template Tom
1st March 2006, 02:11 PM
QUOTE=Wood Butcher]I think that there are about 5 guide thingys in a box at work. (Dad likes his makita router!) I'll see if they are still there tomorrow when I see him and ask if he wants to get rid of them.[/QUOTE]

Template guides are the most important accessory for the router. That is only my opinion but I have projects constructed to back up the statement
Tom