PDA

View Full Version : Urns

morsetaper
4th February 2006, 01:39 AM
Need help in turning an urn for a recently deceased, small dog. The urn will also, in the future, contain some of the remains of the owner. What I need help with is:
1) Volume

2) Method of sealing/unsealing the container.

3) Finishing options, particularly, grain filling before applying a topcoat.

Thanks

ribot
4th February 2006, 02:36 PM
As far as volume goes, I'd be contacting my local undertaker.

rsser
4th February 2006, 06:33 PM
Well with all the and wind burned off .... ;-}

MathewA
4th February 2006, 09:42 PM
You need to be more specific as to how much of the dogs owner will be eventually placed in the urn. As a standard urns for humans must have a volume of 200 cubic inches or 3.3 litres. A small dog something like a yorkshire terrier would easily fit in a volume similar to a coffee cup. So you should be able to make something in between to accomodate both

MathewA
4th February 2006, 09:50 PM
The urns I made usually were accessed from the bottom with a plywood disk held on with screws as the lid (Is it still called a lid when its on the bottom?) Once the ashes have been placed in the urn the funeral homes usually sealed them with silicon and screws.

Finish - I used to just build up the lacquer so it would fill the pores in woods such as walnut. In oak I didn't bother with filling the pores. I was making these on a lathe so it was easy to get a fairly thick coat of lacquer built up in a short period of time without fussing with fillers.