PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Door Locks

Wood Butcher
4th February 2006, 04:18 PM
Just had a call for FIL for some help. He has just moved into a new house where there are two sliding screens doors that are closed and locked with no keys to unlock them. Is there some trade secret to unlocking / removing the key barrel so that we can replace the barrels and render the doors usable?? He does not want to ruin the door if possible but may have to resort to that if needed. Thanks,

journeyman Mick
4th February 2006, 05:36 PM
You usually need to have the door unlocked to remove the lock. Looks like it's either:
a) call a locksmith
b)try to remove the locks without damaging the doors (drilling and grinding)
:( goodluck

Mick

Barry_White
4th February 2006, 06:10 PM
Woodbutcher

Have a look through this post and see if there is an answer.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=25789&highlight=security+door+lock

Ashore
4th February 2006, 07:07 PM
Mate I get the locksmith and have him change all the locks to the same key while he's there , might cost $ 100 depending on the number of locks.
The local locksmith I have used in newcastle is about $80 a call out for the first hour and $9 per lock which comes off the original callout fee
So if you get 10 locks done in the hour total cost is $90
The last time I used him was for the MIL and got the 8 locks changed , including the one there was no key for , for $80, mind you that was 4 years ago......

Rgds

Wood Butcher
4th February 2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. Mick and Barry, I think that your suggestions for drilling and force will be the way to go. Getting replacement barrels is easy and the distance from a locksmith would make it cost too much. Will let you know what happens!

echnidna
4th February 2006, 09:31 PM
Drill a hole where the key fits in.
A bit of jiggling with a screwdriver and all the tumblers will fall out of the way and you can turn the barrelwith the screwdriver to unlock the door.
Put new barrels and keys in the locks and yer back in business,