PDA

View Full Version : Want to replace window with double doors??

2 Bob
5th February 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi all,:)
Just wondering if you can Help me with some advice on Exchanging my window with Double doors.when I pull the window out Its going to leave a Hole 2800widex2200high the doors I want to fit are[Togeather]1660x2035 so I am going to have to frame up the ends of the Gap as I want to fit the doors Central to the cap in the wall.what is the best way of making the Frame super strong to take the weight of the door Jambs with the solid doors.:confused: Is there a trick??any and all help will be appreciated:D

Thanks, Cheers. 2Bob

julianx
8th February 2006, 12:36 AM
so long as you put 2 studs beside each of the jambs it should be ok maybe put in 2 rows of noggings instead of one as well

seriph1
10th February 2006, 12:00 PM
what he said

:D:D

What materials are the walls made from and what will you be doing to patch them?

TassieKiwi
10th February 2006, 12:37 PM
Man that was a BIG window. If constructed correctly the existing beam over the window space is already taking the load of the roof etc, so you really only need to frame out the gap on either side normally. Some like double trimmer studs on the hinge side, but as long as the new door is fitted correctly I don't think that this is necessary for french doors. Leave a good 10-15mm all 'round for the new door, and pack out with strips of timber. I use 2 100mm galv nails near where the hinges are.

Good Luck, you'll love the doors.

D

seriph1
10th February 2006, 12:45 PM
I didn't even think to look twice at the opening size - it is bloody huge! Sure those dimensions are correct? Also, you will need to check to see if the window is load bearing - sounds like it might be at that size.

have fun