PDA

View Full Version : Western Red Cedar Window Finnish

DavidC
5th February 2006, 11:19 PM
I have just sanded back my WR Cedar duoble hung windows exterior side
and oiled with Cetol HLS light oak stain in sikkens

This is a fairly transparent stain

What I found is I was not happy with the result.

the windows are made by Stegbar and inconsistant framing colour of wood
some are rich dark WR and other parts of frame a light WR almost pine colour.

I sanded back first using 120 Grit paper to bar timber , blow dust away with air then wipe with clean cloth soaked with Turps.
When dried out stained with Cetol HLS , but found one part of frame too dark and as if timber was bruised.

I am then supposed to go over with two coats of Sikkens Supernatural

This is a long process and time consuming considering the result.

Forum can you suggest agreat product that leaves WR shinning through natural timber apperance and easy one or two coat system. Also can you suggest the best technique to restore and beutify my windows.
If it doesn't get any easy next time I will hit it with the paint. pss I wonder if thats why when i go for a drive I see mostly painted Wood windows.

I have aslo heard the maintence is 1-2 yrs.

:cool: Photos to follow

Ashore
5th February 2006, 11:44 PM
Sillkens make a product for exterior wood that looks good and gives better protection than just oil , it is "Cetol Filter 7" , there is also a wattyl product that I have had success with , " Wattyl Exterior Clear"
Have used both on western red and am happy with them both.
Both are for external wood in sun and weather and let the natural colours shine through, the wattyl gives a glossier finish.
If you have issues however with the colour change in diffrent areas of the windows you could try a coat of stain bringing the lighter areas up to match with a couple of coats and the darker areas with onle a thin coat, food for thought anyway

Rgds

la Huerta
6th February 2006, 07:45 AM
what about trying feast watson 'prooftint', it comes in little bottles and is just for this sort of thing where there may be different colours of the same spieces, you can use it on just the lighter areas only,instead of staining the whole window, wipe on wipe off,thin it out if necessary to get the right shade, the pro's use this a lot with flooring when theres the odd lighter shade of wood ...not sure if it for out doors 'contact feast watson and ask' but if it's clear coated then i'm sure it'll be fine...

i also know of a clear product that does not need sanding between coats and is for exterior use, it breaths and is used on boats, easy to apply, just keep brushing coats on anytime, as often as you like...but i can't remember the name , will ask my mate and post it here shortly...

la H

memoryman
3rd April 2006, 11:05 PM
DavidC wrote:
the windows are made by Stegbar and inconsistant framing colour of wood some are rich dark WR and other parts of frame a light WR almost pine colour.

I also have Stegbar WRC window frames, and reently had to match the stain (boxing in a frame because I had internally lined the room with V-joint MDF). Told by Stegbar they use Sikkens Filter 7 in the 077 Pine Natural. I used two coats then the clear HLS.

Yes, it does stain to a different colour depending on the grain of the WRC, but overall the stain range on the new timber was a very good match for the Stegbar.

I would not use the little bottles of stain ... first problem is matching a test sample and then the next is reliably recreating it ... maybe if you're a chemist and are used to wielding an eye-dropper ...

Good luck.

Ashore
3rd April 2006, 11:23 PM
DavidC wrote:
the windows are made by Stegbar and inconsistant framing colour of wood some are rich dark WR and other parts of frame a light WR almost pine colour.

I also have Stegbar WRC window frames, and reently had to match the stain (boxing in a frame because I had internally lined the room with V-joint MDF). Told by Stegbar they use Sikkens Filter 7 in the 077 Pine Natural. I used two coats then the clear HLS.

Yes, it does stain to a different colour depending on the grain of the WRC, but overall the stain range on the new timber was a very good match for the Stegbar.

I would not use the little bottles of stain ... first problem is matching a test sample and then the next is reliably recreating it ... maybe if you're a chemist and are used to wielding an eye-dropper ...

Good luck.
Reasonably Good Advice ............but the thread is 2 months old and I think David has already dealt with the problem

memoryman
5th April 2006, 09:11 AM
Ashore, I couldn't resist ... having solved the staining problem to match what I assume are a common variety of Stegbar windows (to my satisfaction anyway), I thought I'd post it anyway :) Cheers.