PDA

View Full Version : Glue Q

Scissors
7th February 2006, 04:29 PM
I was just wondering if there was a glue suitable for non-structural elements that are subject to (small) movement. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Termite
7th February 2006, 04:41 PM
More details, my crystal ball is off line at the moment. :D

cellist
7th February 2006, 04:45 PM
Hi Scissors...

Yes, there certainly are such glues! I've built boats using many different adhesives, and the Sika brand of products will almost certainly have something useful for you. As an example, polycarbonate windows on boats react to temperature variation to a remarkable degree. When fitting them, you actually have to drill 10mm holes for 3mm screws.

Sika makes adhesives that will withstand structural movement such as this, whilst at the same time are resistant to UV, vibration and water. Check out their website:

http://www.sika.com.au/cmc/cmc-applicationfield.htm

Hope this helps!

Mike

Scissors
7th February 2006, 05:06 PM
Here is an old sketch, but it shows what i am talking about. The cross-memberes in the sides of the frame are the beasts in question, they sit in a rebate in the frame verticals. In turn they are grooved to accept a tongue on the drawers.

I was going to do the slot/screw thing, but meh, there is no other metal in the table so far... (and I am lazy.)

Termite
7th February 2006, 06:16 PM
My thoughts are that you are not likely to encounter a significant timber movement problem. I would just glue them in with a standard glue, my favourite in this case would be Titebond 3 for about 10 min working time.

Scissors
7th February 2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks, that's just the answer I wanted to hear! :) I thought that might be the case, but considering that I am still trying to get my head around the whole 'timber moves' thing I thought it best to ask.

AlexS
7th February 2006, 10:11 PM
Plain old PVA will creep enough to accommodate a bit of movement - certainly as much as you will encounter there.