PDA

View Full Version : Fixed base Routers

Phil Spencer
7th February 2006, 05:17 PM
Does any one know if there is a ½” Collet fixed base router on the market?

Auld Bassoon
7th February 2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Phil,

This has been asked quite a few times. However, to the best of my knowledge no-one sells a fixed based router with a 1/2" collet in Australia - all are the plunge type.

By happy to hear if anyone knows any different as I wouldn't mind one myself

Michelle123
7th February 2006, 05:20 PM
:o sorry to do this Phil. I am just wondering how to post on this site? It is so hard to find the information on how to do it.

Phil Spencer
7th February 2006, 05:23 PM
Hi Phil,

This has been asked quite a few times. However, to the best of my knowledge no-one sells a fixed based router with a 1/2" collet in Australia - all are the plunge type.

By happy to hear if anyone knows any different as I wouldn't mind one myself

Maby we can loby the manafacturers and get what we want not what they think we want

Phil Spencer
7th February 2006, 06:24 PM
:o sorry to do this Phil. I am just wondering how to post on this site? It is so hard to find the information on how to do it.

Hi Michelle

You seem to have posted Ok.
You live in Ferntree Gully so do I

Regards

Phil

Auld Bassoon
7th February 2006, 06:39 PM
Maby we can loby the manafacturers and get what we want not what they think we want

That has, I believe, been tried by a few: The issue here is that Australian testing and certification rules being so costly,mean that only a reasonably likely market of thousands of units would make commercial sense.

The use of a transformer to take our domestic 240v/50MHz wouldn't work as the transformer would reduce the voltage to 110v (say), but wouldn't change the A/C frequency to 60MHz.

You could, of course, import a petrol/diesel US genset :eek:

Termite
7th February 2006, 06:48 PM
Ask and the information will be forthcoming, along with a lot of unwanted crap also. :D

Phil Spencer
7th February 2006, 06:57 PM
That has, I believe, been tried by a few: The issue here is that Australian testing and certification rules being so costly,mean that only a reasonably likely market of thousands of units would make commercial sense.

The use of a transformer to take our domestic 240v/50MHz wouldn't work as the transformer would reduce the voltage to 110v (say), but wouldn't change the A/C frequency to 60MHz.

You could, of course, import a petrol/diesel US genset :eek:

I have a 3HP 30,000 RPM brush motor in the shed I might try and cobble something up, its handy selling motors I get all sorts of good stuff.

regards

Phil

Just George
7th February 2006, 07:05 PM
Makita used to sell a fixed base router, they can be bought second hand, GMC also had one for a short while.

Long live the plunge router, longer live the wind up Triton Router...

Phil Spencer
7th February 2006, 07:31 PM
Makita used to sell a fixed base router, they can be bought second hand, GMC also had one for a short while.

Long live the plunge router, longer live the wind up Triton Router...

Thanks George
I have a plunge router and, but for some jobs a fixed base is better, its a shame that we don't get the choices that the overseas markets get. I have been told that GMC has purchased Triton seems that they need a better brand name for their products.

Regards

Phil

derekcohen
7th February 2006, 07:40 PM
Phil

GMC marketed a good lil' 2 HP fixed base 1/2" router up until about 18 months ago. Several of us on the forum picked up end-of-line clearance ones for $39 each. Mine does not get much use - lives in a router table - but it runs well (silently and powerfully) and is a nice design. If you do a search on the forum you will no doubt be able to view it. I wonder if there are more kicking about somewhere? Could be worth a call to GMC.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mick C.
7th February 2006, 07:41 PM
Makita have listed a 1/2" fixed base router in their catalogue 3601B Only problem with it is that it is only fixed speed not variable. I'm looking for a similar thing myself, but am after a variable speed unit, nonexsistant it would seem.... Anyone know if Porter Cable do one for the OZ market??? Or better still, i'd actually love to be able to get a 1/2" trimmer with variable speed???

Phil Spencer
7th February 2006, 07:45 PM
Phil

GMC marketed a good lil' 2 HP fixed base 1/2" router up until about 18 months ago. Several of us on the forum picked up end-of-line clearance ones for $39 each. Mine does not get much use - lives in a router table - but it runs well (silently and powerfully) and is a nice design. If you do a search on the forum you will no doubt be able to view it. I wonder if there are more kicking about somewhere? Could be worth a call to GMC.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek
It is still shown on the GMC web site have emailed them to see if it still exists.

Regards

Phil

Phil Spencer
7th February 2006, 07:47 PM
Makita have listed a 1/2" fixed base router in their catalogue 3601B Only problem with it is that it is only fixed speed not variable. I'm looking for a similar thing myself, but am after a variable speed unit, nonexsistant it would seem.... Anyone know if Porter Cable do one for the OZ market??? Or better still, i'd actually love to be able to get a 1/2" trimmer with variable speed???

Hi Mick

Have found a 1400W variable speed one on the GMC web site don't know about the quality though have shot off an email to find out more.

Regards

Phil

Just George
7th February 2006, 08:18 PM
Phil

I wonder if there are more kicking about somewhere? Could be worth a call to GMC.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I asked about them a while ago, they were a short lived router. There was a problem with a few but it was easy to overcome, it wasn't a bad problem and off the top of my head I can't think wjat it was. Those lucky enough to make the purchase usually bought two of them.

craigb
7th February 2006, 08:40 PM
Those lucky enough to make the purchase usually bought two of them.

Yep. :D :D

routermaniac
7th February 2006, 08:43 PM

I think you can still get these routers new. I recently bought a used one and I love it, it is light enough, powerful but also relatively quiet. I have tried it with a bearing bit and I was really pleased with it. It is extremely well balanced as a tool, easy to adjust, the only negative is lack of variable speed. Also if you are looking at getting a new one its around $500 which is a little much for a fixed speed router :eek: .

As far as I know porter cable have not got a 240v version and I have never seen a 1/2inch laminate trimmer.

Do you have a specific job in mind? It seems a little strange to need a laminate trimmer with a 1/2inch collet.

regards

Marios

Mick C.
8th February 2006, 07:49 PM
Actually, somthing between a trimmer and a full sized router would be perfect, i really only want it that small so its easier to hold and to use free hand or on the odd jig, and the 1/2" collet would b great so that i dont have to have 2 sets of router bits. I usually only buy the 1/2" ones for reasons of chatter and finish quality and strength etc.:)