PDA

View Full Version : Diy

Christopha
7th February 2006, 08:52 PM
Lousy paint jobs and even worse preparation, poor plumbing using incorrect fittings and/or materials, rotten wiring by colour blind dyslexics, tiling over plasterboard in wet areas, filling an entire roof space with styrene offcuts to save a few bob, DIYers will try just about absolutely everything that you can imagine to save a quid, do it easily, do it cheap because they don't give a crap whether the poor bugger who buys their heap of &&&& dies from their styrene in a fire, has their family get electrocuted or if they are afloat in sewerage...... Even worse, the cretins don't seem to realise that in a lot of cases it could be their OWN family that cops it!
There are quite a few DIYers out there who go to great lengths to make sure that they do a good job of their homes, they are the ones who aren't afraid to spend a few bob on the best quality, correct materials, they are the ones who ask tradespeople how to do the job properly, not some flaming DIY nitwit who imagines he is an expert. They also are the ones who get the properly qualified people in to do the parts that they REALLY aren't equipped to do properly.
However, on this forum they seem to be outnumbered by the idiots who will tell some newchum that is OK to tile over old tiles, potential pyros doing their own electricals, use particle board intheir wet areas. There are some bloody good tradesmen on this forum and they give some bloody good advice too(NOTE: NOT INCLUDING AL!!!), but there are also too many morons who think they might have an inkling of an idea about a task so they advise poor old newchum to do absolute dumb schite to their homes....

echnidna
7th February 2006, 08:58 PM
Yes.:)

JohnM
7th February 2006, 09:11 PM
Which is why, although I consider myself reasonable proficient at diy, I rarely comment on threads in this area. I will do the work on my own place, but I do not advise others.

Gaza
7th February 2006, 09:40 PM
there are nam nuts every where. tell u one thing i have seen some &&&& work before by trades on big building sites, you are safe no where, if buying GET AN INSPECTION. & when diying ask if you dont know.

Shedhand
7th February 2006, 09:59 PM
Yes.:)Yes...

Cliff Rogers
7th February 2006, 10:00 PM
Sounds like art to me.... ever thought about taking up art? :p

Sturdee
7th February 2006, 10:02 PM
However, on this forum they seem to be outnumbered by the idiots who will tell some newchum that is OK to tile over old tiles, ...................................... but there are also too many morons who think they might have an inkling of an idea about a task so they advise poor old newchum to do absolute dumb schite to their homes....

As I posted that it was possible to tile floor tiles over existing floor tiles I must be the one of the idiots and morons you are referring to.

Whilst I'm not a professional tiler before I did this I comprehensively studied the subject by reading books on tiling and asking the tile shop and various tilers by visiting building sites. They all advised that it was possible, provided the old tiles were scored before fixing the new tiles so that they wouldn't move. As the area I had to tile was bounded by walls except for a door opening I did not score them as they were not able to move anywhere. This I did at least 10 years ago and none of the tiles has moved or become loose.

As you seem to be hung up about this advice maybe you can explain your expertise and experience in tiling for I wasn't aware that you are a professional tiler.

Peter.

Christopha
7th February 2006, 10:53 PM
I have done a lot of tiling over the years even though I am a carpenter by trade. I have worked with a lot of tilers over the years as wel and not only wouldn't I tile over tiles but I Know of no other tiler who would even consider doing so....... oh, and none of mine have ever come adrift either!

Sturdee
8th February 2006, 10:45 AM
So you are not a professional tiler by trade, thus when you are tiling you are one of those idiotic and moronic DIY'ers yourself.

So the question then is which advice by which DIY'er is correct. I know that the advice I gave is correct, as it has been done and was advised to me by experts, but this enlightened knowledge probably hasn't filtered down to South Australia.

Thus I think your intemparate outburst was unwarranted.

Peter.

Markw
8th February 2006, 11:47 AM
Is this not a forum for the DIYers who have a problem and Trades persons or skilled individuals get together and discuss what is a good method and when they are getting out of their depth?

If so then why the rant Chistopha?

If you have something helpful to say then do so but to blindly trash those who are not Tradies only asks for scorn. Yes I know you put in all those "IT MIGHT NOT APPLY TO YOU" type comments but the general context of your post was if you're not a trades person then you're a moron DIYer. After which you have the hide to tell us your not a tiler and by the sounds of it, not even a builder - carpenter.

Well Gee who's cred is shot now

I have a trades background but not in the building trades which makes me a DIYer but I still have the skills to use hand tools. I find your post offensive - a red one for you

outback
8th February 2006, 01:21 PM
What's wrong with Al's advice.

The aliens haven't got me yet. :D

Gra
8th February 2006, 01:24 PM
What's wrong with Al's advice.

:D

Im with outback, Al's advise is fine, as long as you wear your foil when following it...:D :D

Pulse
8th February 2006, 01:40 PM
Christopha, Just a few anecdotes:

1. the painter who didn't sand any of the holes I filled prior to painting over them, even after I left a message.

2. the plasterer who put up multiple short lengths of cornice because the long bits were awkward to handle - now there are cracks every 3-4 m

3. the air con guy who left the corrugated conduit 10cm short of the aircon.

4. the plumber who ran out of pipe and used 1m of auspex spliced in.

I don't do it crap, I don't do it cheap, I do it because then I know its done well! The whole purpose of this forum is to help people who are willing to give it a go. So please join in the spirit.

Cheers
Pulse

DanP
8th February 2006, 01:53 PM
There are some bloody good tradesmen on this forum and they give some bloody good advice too(NOTE: NOT INCLUDING AL!!!), but there are also too many morons...

Including Al?:p

Zed
8th February 2006, 02:17 PM
ACRIMONY!!!!!!!!! here!!!! I dont BELEIVE IT!!!!! How dare we disagree with each other!!!!!!

bennylaird
8th February 2006, 02:19 PM
Or not BELIEVE it for that matter??????:D :D :D

Sorry couldn't resist, must be taited by the spelling Nasties:eek:

craigb
8th February 2006, 02:27 PM
ACRIMONY!!!!!!!!! here!!!! I dont BELEIVE IT!!!!! How dare we disagree with each other!!!!!!

Time for a few verses of Kum-bay-yah you think Zed? ;) :D :D

namtrak
8th February 2006, 03:08 PM
Jeez, your an angry bugger C. Shouldn't this post be in the Open Slather section?

Wood Butcher
8th February 2006, 03:09 PM