PDA

View Full Version : Carbatec SBW-5300CE

bloggs1968
8th February 2006, 06:30 AM
Hi all,

done the searches etc but has anyone got any direct experience of using or having a good look at this machine. Budget $2K. Featurewise it seems ok but for the money is the build quality alright or I am I wasting my money?

TIA

AD

Fossil
10th February 2006, 07:42 PM
Do you really need a 21" machine. The 18" jet that is discussed on another thread is a real beuty. I had a very good look at one last week while I was buying another machine, and it was going for under $1800.00

Even though some of the chinese stuff has a CE mark, I personally would not expect to get a top quality machine from them. Mabey in another 5 or so years, but they haven't got there as yet, as far as I am concerned.
If you do go for the chinese machine, pay very special attention to all parts that are hidden from view. It has been my experience that costs are cut in critical areas that are not often noticed at purchase.

bloggs1968
10th February 2006, 08:21 PM
Hi Fossil,

Thanks for the reply. I know that Jet make good gear ( I have a Jet 14" bansaw, thicknesser, jointer, dust extractor and are happy with it all) but I am looking at decent capacity to cut heavy timbers. I am a wooden boat builder and until recently was using a ledacraft 24" saw at my last place but don't want to have to outlay 4-5K for a saw if I can get away with 2K for something slightly smaller. About a year ago I bought(for $600) and onsold a 36" saw wondering what I would ever do with a saw so big - silly me.

I see Jet have a 20" saw but only 2hp single phase motor.

Thanks again

AD

Fossil
10th February 2006, 08:42 PM
Hi bloggs,

I am not lucky enough to even have a jet 14".
Due to a terrible occurrance ten or so years ago, I lost my big woodfast machine, and now only have 14" chinese peice of...... :rolleyes:

I am very very cautious of any machine purchase these days. I have my own joinery shop again, but bought the woodfast when I was young, and was very lucky. I new nothing of machines then, and stupidly bought the samll chinese machine asuming it would be ok, without going in to it fully. I estimate I have spent a full 10 days on mofiying the machine to a satge where I could sell it to a rank amatuer, with only a glint of guilt.... so I guess I won't do that, but will give it away when I can afford a decent machine.

I have seen quite a few good machines of the older variety floating around at auction, and well within your price range. I guess that's not so much of an option for you though, being in Tassie.

INTEM (International Electric Motors) in melbourne sell great motors at really good prices. I bought a 3hp 4pole motor for my jointer from them for under $250.00 and it cost under 20 bucks to deliver in Sydney. You could swap motors and sell the 2 horse as an option. A 4hp 2 pole might cost you less than 300?

Good luck. :)

DavidG
10th February 2006, 09:50 PM
I have the SBW-4300CE. Bought it in May 2003.
No problems. Plenty of power in the motor if the blade is kept sharp.
Can use a lower speed for more torque if required.

The SBW-4300CE SBW-4800CE SBW-5300CE (http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_320_580_590)all have the same depth of cut but the wheels get bigger (and the box).

If 300 mm depth of cut is enough then decide what is the max distance from the edge you need and buy appropriately
The SBW-4300CE is $1295.00 this month.

boban
10th February 2006, 10:16 PM
Also have a look at the Hammer machine for that sort of money. I have a Jet 18" and am satisfied with it.