PDA

View Full Version : Domino jointing tool

knucklehead
9th February 2006, 10:20 AM
Well I was just going through the motions of clicking some of the adds on the BB, when I actauly found one that could be usefull.

I am wondering if anyone has seen or used on of these tools.
http://www.festool.com.au/artikel/artikel_weiterleiten.cfm?id=356

They appear to be a handheld tool for loose tennon joinery. The cutter spins like a router bit with a pendulam action.

I have only found one price at the moment but as far as I know Festool stuff is normally around the same price every where.
At $1200 its too rich for my blood.
http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3919_1.htm

John Saxton
11th February 2006, 06:45 PM
There's no doubt that Festo make a fine product and you're right in that the price generally is reflected at the upper end of the market.

$1200 is a lot to find in anyones pocket at any time however given time and the proving of the product perhaps Festo will come to the party will some special deals.

I would want to see all the functions of this tool performing and well before even considering it and as it is a new and innovative product on the market it' has to do that, but ultimately it could supplant dowellers/biscuit machines and that factored into the cost could well mean a worthy tool.

Of course it goes without saying that you have to justify it work/cost wise.

I've a couple of their tools and they are certainly a quality manufacturer and have to date not let me down.

Cheers:)

Wongo
13th February 2006, 09:56 AM
I am tempted. :o

Greg Q
13th February 2006, 08:30 PM
Australia is the first country outside Europe to get this tool, and its only been out a week or so. I was hoping that it was going to be less expensive, but it is a sophisticated tool that is meant to replace the plate joiner and the dowel joiners.

I am going to pass on this one though, as I already have a loose tenon machine, but for a user without that or a quality plate joiner it would be a great tool, I think.

For comparisson purposes, if the Lamello Top20 plate joiner were available here, it would have a similar price.

Greg

John Saxton
13th February 2006, 11:47 PM
For comparisson purposes, if the Lamello Top20 plate joiner were available here, it would have a similar price.

Greg

I have'nt researched this but I know they used to be available here and at around that price,however that is still only minimal in terms of functions whereas the Festo is offering up a multi function too with all mod cons & extras in the 1200-1600$ range ..reasonable value if one is objective in ones needs.

Just my thoughts!

Greg Q
14th February 2006, 07:15 AM

Greg

I have'nt researched this but I know they used to be available here and at around that price,however that is still only minimal in terms of functions whereas the Festo is offering up a multi function too with all mod cons & extras in the 1200-1600$ range ..reasonable value if one is objective in ones needs.

Just my thoughts!

John, I agree that it isn't unreasonable value. I have several Festool products, and like them all to varying degrees. I offerred the Lamello as a price comparison only, as it is the most capable plate joiner that I know of.
It is minimal in function only in the sense that it is a dedicated plate joiner.

I thought I was being objective in my needs. I was looking forward to the release of this tool, but realise that right now I don't need it. That is not to say that it is not everything that it promises to be.

Cheers,

Greg

LineLefty
14th February 2006, 12:24 PM
umm, you could just use a beadlock. Same diff really. Cost ya $80!

underused
15th February 2006, 01:08 PM
It'll be useful for those in small businesses, much faster and easier than traditional joinery. That said, traditional joinery is most respected, but when you have dead lines and can make more $$$ taking "short cuts", it has to be considered. I'd like one:D
Cheers. Gary.