PDA

View Full Version : dust masks

ss_11000
9th February 2006, 10:40 PM
hi all

should u wear a dust mask all the time or just wen your sanding?

i always wear safety glasses but should i consider getting a full face sheild?

Cliff Rogers
9th February 2006, 11:40 PM
Yes, & a good one, not just a paper nosebag.

I have a 3M with twin cartridges & a Triton helmet with an extra power pack (so one can be charging while I use the other.)

I don't wear the 3M at the same time as the Triton, it's is just that it suits some jobs better.

The less fine rubbish you breath in, the longer your respiratory track will live.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2006, 11:50 PM
Ideally, all the time.

A faceshield is a very, very good idea. I have a dislike of large chunks hitting me in the face. If you're doing any serious amount of turning, this will happen sooner or later. I dislike the plastic ones, they fog up on me too quickly and I like to see when my fingers are getting too close to whirly, splintery things. But the mesh ones for use with brush-cutters suit me nicely. I've also heard the opposite opinion expressed... I guess 'tis a personal thing.

I can't comment on the ones with inbuilt respirators: I'm not rich enough to put one through its' paces. [shrug]

There's plenty of discussion on this board on the pros'n'cons of all types. Do a search. :rolleyes:

Gil Jones
10th February 2006, 04:43 AM
If I am finishing, I wear the dual organic vapors cartridge respirator mask. If working wood or grinding/sharpening tools, I wear the Trend AirShield. "Working Wood" includes turning, sawing, sanding, ++. I am 61 years old, and would like to breath a lot longer, so I protect my lungs. Even quit smoking 13 months ago.

Jim Carroll
10th February 2006, 07:50 AM
There is 3 things all woodturners need
A dustmask or combination unit with face protection So a triton or similar so you get full face protection and lung protection.
The powered respirators are best as they give you protection from flying peices and blow cool air over your face so you are breathing clean air. They also push enough air through them that they eliminate fogging of your glasses if you need them and if there is any gaps around the unit say where there is a beard there is enough pressure that it pushes out through these gaps so there is no way of the dust getting sucked in.

Dust extractor to try and eliminate some of the dust etc while you are working.

Air filter system for recycling clean air in your worshop and help eliminate a lot of the fine dust that lingers in the air as you are working. if you look at a stream of sunlight in your workshop and see all the dust filtering through this. That is what the air filter system should clean up. They usually have a 2hr timer setup on them so at the end of the day you push the timer button and it keeps working cleaning when you go home . Hopefully when you come back the next day the air will be clear for you.

These have become necessary due to the different types of timbers we use. Everyone is different and some timbers are worse for some and not others but at the end of the day the dust will affect everyone. We have a local builder that cannot go near cedar anymore due to working with it all his working life, anytime he goes near cedar he gets an asthma attack. He gives me a call first to make sure I am not working on cedar so he can come around.

You only get one set of lungs, do you want to coughing up some one elses flem.

PAH1
10th February 2006, 11:37 AM
When I first started turning I used simple face masks when turning and got nosebleeds, no matter how good they are leakage occurs around the nose. Purchase of the triton eliminated that problem and makes turning in general much more enjoyable.

bitingmidge
10th February 2006, 11:43 AM
When I first started turning I used simple face masks when turning and got nosebleeds, no matter how good they are leakage occurs around the nose.
If you mean paper filter masks, you are correct.

If you are referring to respirators, then they don't all leak. Mine even has a blank gasket to fix over the filter inlet so that it can be checked for leaks. (If you go the same blue colour as the mask after a few minutes, it doesn't leak.)

Cheers,

P;)

Kris.Parker1
10th February 2006, 05:39 PM
To be safe I wear a respirator when I am cutting and sanding wood. I have a young child and don't let her in the shed until the dust has gone. Exhaust fans are good too. I have whirly birds that aid in dust extraction too.

ss_11000
10th February 2006, 06:14 PM
how much do these face masks cost.

Cliff Rogers
10th February 2006, 06:48 PM
The 3M twin cartridge unit is about $90 & the filters are about $20 a set.

The Triton is about $275 & the extra power pack is about $115.

You can get cheaper twin cartridge unit but they are made of a harder material & as well as not being as comfortable as the 3M, they can leak just between the cheekbones & the side of the nose.

Wayne Blanch
11th February 2006, 09:32 PM
Hi I have a Purelite Air Shield Face Mask, I tend to use it most of the time when I am turning and find it great. It keeps almost all the dust out of my lungs (I don't know of anything that works perfectly.) and because it has a full face shield it offers the protection from those flying bit and pieces. Prior to getting this I used paper masks which work well if your intention is to contain the dust closer to the nose and mouth for later consumption. I no longer spend hours trying to remove revolting stuff from my lungs and nose. The big disadvantage with this was the price I think that it cost about $400. (It was given to me as a present. Thanks Mum:D)

PAH1
13th February 2006, 11:58 AM
If you mean paper filter masks, you are correct.

If you are referring to respirators, then they don't all leak. Mine even has a blank gasket to fix over the filter inlet so that it can be checked for leaks. (If you go the same blue colour as the mask after a few minutes, it doesn't leak.)

Cheers,

P;)

Yeah I did, however I have a rather large head and I doubt that any face mask would actually fit. I certainly tried enough of them in an attempt to get one to fit. The triton unit works well for me and would recomend it.

Peter

rsser
13th February 2006, 02:29 PM
Wood dust is a carcinogen on a par with asbestos acc to the US Society of Industrial Hygienists.

The worst dust is the stuff you can't see - it floats around in your workshop and you breathe it in unawares. It's not just sanding that produces this but it's the worst.

The only safe option is a combination of powered filtered visor and an air scrubber. A pleated filter dust extractor or an extractor fan are also good additions, as Jim describes.

Not cheap but then you can't pick up a new pair of lungs at Bunnies.

bennylaird
13th February 2006, 03:06 PM
Has anyone seen CIG filter inserts around? Bunnings no longer carry them and I need new inserts.

Cliff Rogers
13th February 2006, 03:28 PM
CIG is now called BOC, look them up & see if they can point you in the right direction.

bennylaird
13th February 2006, 03:29 PM
Ta Cliffy.

hughie
15th February 2006, 12:23 AM
If you do a search online, you will come across a mass of info about the dangers of wood dust.
In Aust now all wood dust is considered carcinogenic, even the lowly pine.
So do what ever your able to minimize the dust problem. As Ern mentioned Bunnies don't sell new or replacement parts for lungs.

hughie