PDA

View Full Version : WIP MoreTea box's

nessie11
11th February 2006, 08:30 AM
G'day Folks and folkess's

Below should be a couple pictures of couple more tea box's i'm in the process of making for Family, previous Post was in Pictures forum, SIL was delighted with her TB that the other family members now require one went with the same design on the lid inlay, this time though tried to inlay an oval which worked reasonably well. My digi camera was playing Silly buggers so have only got pic's of the nearly finished item. some small mistakes, which i couldn't retify because i'm running out of the free Red cedar boards i had picked up. but learning i know what the mistake are and how to fix them next time. as usual on the forum heaps of great advise, and interesting reading from all the folks here. dimensions and details are.
300mm X 250mm x 100 mm high Western Red Cedar
Band in lay 7mm
Oval Bird's eye maple Background
tea leaf is 3 different veneers Wenge was one , teak is the lighter on the leaves, no idea on the darker venner

Nessie

chrisb691
11th February 2006, 09:52 AM
Lovely box!! & nice marquetry too. :)

DPB
11th February 2006, 09:57 AM
Nice work, Nessie.:)

I note that you have used three panels to make up the lid. These are not centered, hence the oval appears off-centre. Is this intentional? What finish did you use?

nessie11
11th February 2006, 11:17 AM
finishing 1 in danish oil, satin poly, 1 in danish oil was gonna just use danish but inlay is pretty thin so thought i'd use the poly to protect it a bit more, off centre panels is one of the mistakes i made cut too much off 1 side when measuring so had to go with the offcenter, which dissapointed me cause as u said with the oval it looks way off. we live and learn, thanx for the comments. appreciated

Nessie

DPB
11th February 2006, 01:06 PM
finishing 1 in danish oil, satin poly, 1 in danish oil was gonna just use danish but inlay is pretty thin so thought i'd use the poly to protect it a bit more, off centre panels is one of the mistakes i made cut too much off 1 side when measuring so had to go with the offcenter, which dissapointed me cause as u said with the oval it looks way off. we live and learn, thanx for the comments. appreciated

Nessie

Regardless, still a lovely box. Are the compartments sized to hold tea bags, or is each for a different type of loose tea?

AlexS
11th February 2006, 02:09 PM
Beautiful boxes, Nessie.

nessie11
11th February 2006, 03:29 PM
DPB each row will hold 3 box's of those specaility tea bags so 12 in all

have also attached a close up of the inlay on no 1 box Both are very similar.

again thnx for coments

nessie

nessie11
16th February 2006, 07:12 AM
G'day guys some progress on T Box's, Stuuffed up when sanding, ended up sanding through the veneer, :( so decided a new top was in order, as the top was starting to become dished, and sanding the edges to match would only have made the problem worse, sanding through the banding as well, pictures describe the new veneer being asembled

Pictures;
1.Background Veneer, Curly Maple ? Inside band No idea
2. Leaf, different design, 3 veneers used from darkest to lightest, Catalam, Teak, Avodiro( not sure if these are just styles or actual wood names)
3. top glued up and finished with 2 coats of sanding sealer. will finish with a coat of Glass clear on top

Picture 1 in next post. Exceeded the upload by 100.1Kb :eek:

Nessie

nessie11
16th February 2006, 07:15 AM
Pict #1,

bennylaird
16th February 2006, 08:22 AM
Stop it..... I have too many irons in the fire now your getting me interested in Market... marquet.... oh something I can't even spell ....

Lovely work.

(Remember the tea boxes we used to get to store stuff in? Ply and metal edging? Have not seen them around for years)

BobR
16th February 2006, 02:15 PM
Very nice work.

Harry72
17th February 2006, 09:46 AM
Great work, I hope to get into some box making soon... must ask Zenwood for a few how to tips at the Adel meet up.