PDA

View Full Version : transparent

ss_11000
11th February 2006, 11:42 PM
hi guys

has any one had white pearl acrylic go transparent.:confused: By transparent i mean u could see the brass tube.

it happened to me today wen i was making my first pen with ct's S22 acrylic. :( all other acrylic has worked out fine.:D

will post pic wen i get round to taking a foto:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th February 2006, 11:56 PM
Yes. Most acrylics are translucent to some degree. In general, if you can see the tube through the acrylic you've taken too much off and there's only a paper thin layer left. Sometimes it can give a nice effect, but I wouldn't deliberately try for it until and unless you've already gone too far and can already see the tube.

Then, well... what do you have to lose?

At worst you'll lose one part of the blank, so turn off the rest of the acrylic so you can re-use the tube in another pen and the other half of the blank can be made into a key-ring.

Ruffy
12th February 2006, 06:33 PM
You will find that is a common problem with the S22 acrylic if you are turning the standard 7mm pens. You need to get fancy with the shape of the pen and add some curves etc to increase the finished wall thickness.

ss_11000
12th February 2006, 07:17 PM
You will find that is a common problem with the S22 acrylic if you are turning the standard 7mm pens. You need to get fancy with the shape of the pen and add some curves etc to increase the finished wall thickness.

yeah i was thinking along those lines.

i've got a couple more pieces of it so i'll try a few new things

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th February 2006, 10:16 PM
I meant to add this in my other post but... [shrug] You can also dip the brass tube in an oxidising agent to turn 'em darker, usually a dark brown or black, which helps 'em not to show through quite so much.

darley56
13th February 2006, 09:06 AM
hi guys

has any one had white pearl acrylic go transparent.:confused: By transparent i mean u could see the brass tube.

it happened to me today wen i was making my first pen with ct's S22 acrylic. :( all other acrylic has worked out fine.:D

will post pic wen i get round to taking a foto:p

Next time you do 1 again paint your pen tube in white, that will solve your problem

ss_11000
24th February 2006, 05:46 PM
Yes. Most acrylics are translucent to some degree. In general, if you can see the tube through the acrylic you've taken too much off and there's only a paper thin layer left. Sometimes it can give a nice effect, but I wouldn't deliberately try for it until and unless you've already gone too far and can already see the tube.

Then, well... what do you have to lose?

At worst you'll lose one part of the blank, so turn off the rest of the acrylic so you can re-use the tube in another pen and the other half of the blank can be made into a key-ring.

i know see what you mean. i had an orange acrylic go transparent the other day.