PDA

View Full Version : Three Drawer Box With Lid

DPB
12th February 2006, 09:43 AM
This jewelery box was inspired by one shown in Taunton’s Complete Illustrated Guide to Box Making, by Doug Stowe, page 97. There are no drawings or dimensions given in this publication, so this is my interpretation.

I continue on my quest to make perfect dovetails by hand, but I’m not there there yet. The ones in the top four corners are mitred dovetails, a first for me, and a little trickier than standard through-dovetails.

I cut the top away on the table saw after joining up the four sides. Each of the three drawers and the top shelf have slightly different divider configurations to accommodate a variety of jewelery items. The drawer dividers are removable so that the felt liners may be removed for cleaning or replacement. The Ebony handles are press fit into mortises (no glue). I hope they hold.

The dimensions of the box are: Width 325 x Depth 200 x Height 180mm (not including the base).

The colour is reddish as shown in the photos, but I may retake them because the tone is not quite correct.

The primary timber is nicely figured Queensland Maple (Flindersia Breyleyana). The dividers and drawer sides are European Beech with Solomon Island Ebony drawer handles (Ebenaceae, Magnoliophyta, order Ebenales, class Magnoliopsida). The grain of the Maple runs continuously around the box, but this is not that noticeable when interrupted by the drawers and dovetails. The 10mm Concealed Barrel Hinges and Brusso Lid Support are from Lee Valley.

The finish is four coats of MinWax WipeOn Poly with a light buff with steel wool in between each coat. Great stuff!

martrix
12th February 2006, 09:59 AM
Wow! Beautiful piece. Looks like a lot of time was spent.

I am also discovering the miraculous wipe on poly, so easy to use!
If you take new pics, lay down a white sheet for a nice background, will make a big difference.

Look out, big greenie incoming! well done.........http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Groggy
12th February 2006, 10:08 AM
Bewdiful!

Wood Butcher
12th February 2006, 10:37 AM
Amazing Work Don.
Looks Fantastic!

AlexS
12th February 2006, 10:42 AM
Great result Don, I really enjoy looking at your boxes.

Auld Bassoon
12th February 2006, 05:58 PM
G'day Don,

Beaut box - must be, it's achieved your award plaque :D

A really nice box, beautifully executed. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

How do you find the fitting of the morticed hinges? I really like the look of them, but might be a bit concerned in getting them straight and level - and to size :eek:

Cheers!

BobR
12th February 2006, 06:26 PM
Great looking box. I always find creating the dividers a little tricky. And if not done well can down grade the box. Yours look a real treat!

Harry72
12th February 2006, 09:10 PM
Beautiful work DPB, giv you a greeny

Zoot
12th February 2006, 10:07 PM
Don,
Am really impressed, particularly with your hand cut dovetails ...

Cheers,

Zoot Esq.

DPB
12th February 2006, 10:12 PM
Great looking box. I always find creating the dividers a little tricky. And if not done well can down grade the box. Yours look a real treat!

I have found that half the problem of poor looking dividers is choosing the wrong timber. I like to use something in the white colour range and with very straight grain. I don't think there is any point in using a timber with a complex grain or that is the same colour as the primary timber. If the box has an interesting grain, I don't want the dividers to compete with this. They should be simple, plain and dead accurate in terms of their angles, and joinery. Otherwise, as you say, they detract from the main game.:)

G'day Don,

Beaut box - must be, it's achieved your award plaque :D

A really nice box, beautifully executed. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

How do you find the fitting of the morticed hinges? I really like the look of them, but might be a bit concerned in getting them straight and level - and to size :eek:

Cheers!

The hinges in this box are concealed barrel hinges. They simply require that you drill holes the same size as the barrel, in this case 10mm holes into the two surfaces. I didn't get one of the holes exactly right and you can see a very slight twist in the hinge mechanism. Had I remembered. I have a hole alignment device that sits in the first hold and pricks a small indent in the location of the matching hole. I'll use it next time to avoid mis-alignment.

If you are referring to the lid support, it is mortised into the side wall of the box. I drilled this out with my drill press and a fence to make sure that the holes were in a line. I chiseled out the wood with good quality sharp chisels in about 15 minutes. Not very difficult at all if you take it easy and don't rush the process.:)

zenwood
12th February 2006, 11:17 PM
Very nice looking box, DPB.