PDA

View Full Version : Help design NewLous WorkBench

NewLou
12th February 2006, 02:37 PM
Gidday Everyone:D

As some of you are aware I'm presently in the design process of my new workbench:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=27697

I've decided not to use a hardwood top and have got the Benchtop down to 3 options:

Laminate
Melamine
Tempered HArdboard

Help me decide which one should I use????

REgards Lou:confused::confused::confused:

journeyman Mick
12th February 2006, 03:49 PM
Lou,
my benches are made of 32mm melamine coated particleboard (kitchen benchtop material). Cheap (2nds, paid $20 for each 3.6 x 1.8M sheet), prefinished, flat and stable. Don't know that I'd recomend it for a darksider bench though, laminate and melamine are pretty hard on edge tools and you'll really dull those scary sharp edges should you slip and hit the benchtop. It is ideal for glueing up on though, as it's easy to clean even set epoxy off it. Maybe go with 32mm melamine board with a removeable masonite or thin ply sacrificial top. BTW, where's the poll? Edit - okay the poll is there now.:o

Mick

Shedhand
12th February 2006, 05:34 PM
I reckon the Hardboard would look better, be easier to replace and would only need a quick burst with a ROS to clean it up. If you chip melamine or laminate you have an ugly obvious black hole. IMHO;)

Lignum
13th February 2006, 12:42 PM
I like Melamine. Its cheap, tough and bright, making cutting and marking of projects so much easier than the dark brown almost black temperd masonite. Fine pencil, knife or scribed lines dissapear to easly in the background on masonite for me. And melamine has the advantage of being able to draw construction ideas and write dimentions, materials to order etc for your job at hand, then just scotch brighting of with spray and wipe:)