PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at a pen

Gra
12th February 2006, 09:23 PM
Here it is my first attempt at a pen.

Well second, The first one turned out oval, I tuned it in my fathers metal lathe and the bearings are shot, so it turned out oval, Didnt get to take a picture of it as mum saw it and conficated it for her use.

This one will be my wifes valantines day present. It was turned in my drill press from huon pine.

Babytoolman
13th February 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Gra,
Nice pen mate and welcome to the mad house. get ready to get addicted to this. Keep them comming.

Gra
13th February 2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks toolman,

I think I know what you mean about the addiction, I have been looking at my scraps bin, and drooling, Jarrah, tas oak, red gum, river red gum and english ash....

All 19mm thick. Hmm great pens stock.. Guess what everyone is getting for chrismas this year :D :D

darley56
13th February 2006, 07:33 PM
Here it is my first attempt at a pen.

Well second, The first one turned out oval, I tuned it in my fathers metal lathe and the bearings are shot, so it turned out oval, Didnt get to take a picture of it as mum saw it and conficated it for her use.

This one will be my wifes valantines day present. It was turned in my drill press from huon pine.

Gra when you put pen blanks on mandrel do not tight the brass nut to much and do not tight the tail stock to much, WHY?? well you will bow the pen blanks first and second you will bow the mandrel, result OVAL pen LOL:D
Those 2 as to be tight enought to hold,
1) the pen blanks on the mandrel
2) the tail stock just hold the mandrel

If you do that you will not have any more oval pens but beautifull pens, hope this help

Dennis Millard
13th February 2006, 07:47 PM
Hey! What's wrong with oval pens? I like the idea. It sounds as if Mum haad the right idea...