PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos in metal sheet?

rbrtoclto
13th February 2006, 12:23 PM
Hi again all,

We're in the process of gutting an old, very spartan bathroom. The timber floor is covered with masonite, underneath that around the shower recess is a thin sheet of partly rusted metal (waterproofing :eek: I guess).

It's branded "Lysaght Queen's Head" and I've noticed some of the rusted parts look a bit like they have "hairs" sticking out of them. I 'm not sure whether they were originally embedded in metal or are from the fibreglass shower, or what.

Given that they put asbestos in nearly everything back in the day, including an AC metal sheeting called "galbestos", I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before going any further.

I usually err on the side of paranoid when dealing with potential AC material, but this stuff is really well attached to floor underneath, so pulling it up will be an absolute p***k of a job. If I can avoid having to suit and mask up while doing this in the Qld heat, that'd be a bonus. :)

Cheers.

mic-d
13th February 2006, 05:46 PM
I have no idea if it could be asbestos but if you want to take it up, seal it somehow. one idea is to spray diluted pva glue over the material and allow it to dry. However if I were doing it I would also be dampening everything down during the demolition as well. You could also seal it with some old acrylic paint if you have some lying around.

Cheers
Michael

PuppyPaw
13th February 2006, 09:17 PM
if your concerned get it checked, that way you don't risk your self or your family.