PDA

View Full Version : nail guns and stuff

dzcook
13th February 2006, 10:30 PM
ok thinking of getting a brader / nail gun just a cheapie to use to attach the trim on the house inside mainly but just want a few answers brefore i do are the brads the same as nails ie have a head etc and will they go thru the pine trim into the harder old wood below are they hard to remove if they dont have a head !! have always used screws for all the trims etc easier to remove and paint then re inbstall but am now getting into the hundreds of screws and think the nailer might be easier

what are the pitfalls are they hard to maintain only have a small compressor so what do i have to look for was thinking of something from supercheap or bunnies thou have seen a gmc cheap as w ell
have done a search but didnt really find the answers also what is the difference between a nail gun for frameing and a brader do the nail guns just take normal nails ?
hope some one can help

Wildman
14th February 2006, 09:06 AM
I bought a new Campbell Hausfield bradder on ebay for $27 and it is sensational, easily drives into anything and doesnt feel cheap or nasty and fires brads as fast as I can pull the trigger. Yes the brads have a head (although it is small and not round), however they usually get driven well below the surface so are difficult to remove. They are easy to buy nails for (Bunnings have them). To answer your question, yes they take normal nails, normal nail gun nails that are glued together in a strip. Mine is only a 32mm max nail size, it takes 15, 24 and 32mm nails. Some bradders will drive up to 50mm. Framing guns are generally capable of 75-100mm nails and are far heavier and stronger. Nail guns dont use much air, a small compressor will be fine. If you keep you gun clean and well oiled, they wont give you much trouble for a long time. A cheap brad gun will be fine, if you want a framer, get a good one.

Cheers
Ben

Andy Mac
14th February 2006, 09:41 AM
At work we've bought a Basso brand combination bradder/stapler(Model # BS32P-A2) which takes brads up to 32mm long. The staples are 5.8mm wide, not huge, but OK for some jobs. It wasn't cheap, and apart from the fact that the brads are ejected off-centre from the nose/tip (?) its a great little tool. The off-set thing is marked on the nose, but still takes some time to get used to!
Within limits, you can play around with air pressures to get the head of the fastener where you want it, on the surface or under, depending on the thickness and type of timber you're joining.
If I finally get around to buying a bradder for my home workshop, that's what I'd buy.:)

Cheers,

Bluegum
6th September 2006, 08:27 PM
I bought a supaworks cheapie bradder from supa cheap auto. Does the job for what I need. Perhaps one day I may consider upgrading to something else.