PDA

View Full Version : which mixer

dzcook
13th February 2006, 10:56 PM
thinking of getting a cement mixer for small jobs around the hse are the lightburn the best ?? parts etc have seen a gmc which was same size as lightburn but 1/2 the cost what do i need to look at i mean belts or chains or what ,, how do they work ? is the size of the motor most important thanks for the ifo

ozwinner
14th February 2006, 05:28 PM
If you are only going to use it part time I would look at getting a secondhand one.

Al :)

Auld Bassoon
14th February 2006, 05:35 PM
Borrow SWMBO's kitchen mixer for small jobs :D

echnidna
14th February 2006, 05:55 PM
I've got a GMC oine and it works ok for a small mixer.

ozwinner
14th February 2006, 06:21 PM
Borrow SWMBO's kitchen mixer for small jobs :D

Not as crazy as it sounds.

I have seen a brickie mix his mud in a big plastic drum useing a big asre drill and a big paint mixer..

Roofers do it that way all the time.

Al :)

sol381
15th February 2006, 08:02 AM
A mate of mine bought a gmc mixer and it works fine.. Only problem we found was where the barrel slides into the frame it was a bit loose so we added 2 50mm wahsers to tighten it up and runs well now. without them the cogs dont alwasys meet up and the barrel slips.. We have used it many times and it hasnt stopped yet.
stef

lnt9000
22nd February 2006, 11:35 PM
Apples aint apples so they say, hop into bunnies and have a look at westmix,
1..Boxed you put it together $200 2.2cm
2..already assembled $500 2.2cm

Difference: one is made in china, the other in WA.
one has slip rings the other bearings
one has toughened precision cut gears the other hasn't
one has a quality wound industrial strength motor...
All implying one thing, if you want quality you have to pay for it.:)

Wood Butcher
22nd February 2006, 11:46 PM
Yes you get what you pay for, but you also need to weigh up what you are using it for. Dzcook is after a mixer "for small jobs around the hse" and the GMC may be perfect. My suggestions is to keep a look out in the local trading ads. I have seen lightburn mixers for sale in QLD for around $150 - $200.