PDA

View Full Version : Goblet Finish

dnelson
15th February 2006, 02:47 AM
Hello,
I have been planning on turning a goblet one of these days, and I was wondering if someone would recommend a non-toxic alcohol resistant finish.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You
David

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th February 2006, 04:40 PM
For my goblets I prefer the look of Danish Oil on the outside, but for health reasons I use a PolyUrethane inside. Even on what I consider purely "display pieces," 'cos I never know what'll happen to 'em once they leave my sight.

I've had the occasional quibble about not sealing the outside lip as well... in which case I simply recoat the whole thing in PolyU. The customer is always right. [shrug]

I'm sure there are other methods (maybe a CA?) this is simply the one that works for me.

RETIRED
15th February 2006, 10:09 PM
I have used Rustins plastic finish in the past.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th February 2006, 11:40 PM
I have used Rustins plastic finish in the past.

That's exactly what I use. I just don't like pushing brand-names unless specifically asked. [shrug]

dnelson
16th February 2006, 11:53 PM
Thank you for your help I will look into the Rustins plastic.
David

ubeaut
18th February 2006, 02:10 AM
Have heard from a guy in US making ceremonial goblets http://www.ubeaut.biz/beersmiley.gif which are used for Wild Turkey Bourbon. http://www.ubeaut.biz/zonked.gif He swears by Shellawax (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html) (liquid not cream) 3 coats and leave it for a month to allow for full cross linking of hardener.

Cheers - Neil :)

rsser
18th February 2006, 02:23 PM
Takes all types.

Wonder what Wild Turkey is like before the Shellawax has hardened.

Remember they used to call office workers 'shiny bums' ;-}

Grizz
25th May 2006, 07:50 PM
Would there be any difference in using the shellawax cream? I'm thinking of making some goblets soon (probably redgum and cypress pine) and was seriously thinking of either no finish or grapeseed oil finish on the inside.

Grizz.

rsser
25th May 2006, 07:59 PM
Grizz, FWIW, Cypress gives some folk nasty reactions, and redgum is in my experience either rock hard or prone to moving or checking.

Any case, were you thinking these would be used or just for display?

Grizz
25th May 2006, 08:04 PM
I was hoping they'd get used. I also take your point about the cypress, think I'll take that off the list. As for the redgum, have managed to get my hands on some nice, very well cured stock at the right price (FREE :)). I've worked with it before and love the challenge.

If the cypress was well sealed with say a poly finish, would that take care of the allergy problems? I also have a good supply of 5" x 4" x 6' posts at the moment.

Grizz.

RETIRED
25th May 2006, 10:12 PM
Would there be any difference in using the shellawax cream? I'm thinking of making some goblets soon (probably redgum and cypress pine) and was seriously thinking of either no finish or grapeseed oil finish on the inside.

Grizz.Yes. The glow is harder than the cream. As Neil said it needs 2-3 coats for the best resistance to alchohol.

Hickory
26th May 2006, 03:30 AM
Have heard from a guy in US making ceremonial goblets http://www.ubeaut.biz/beersmiley.gif which are used for Wild Turkey Bourbon. http://www.ubeaut.biz/zonked.gif He swears by Shellawax (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html) (liquid not cream) 3 coats and leave it for a month to allow for full cross linking of hardener.

Cheers - Neil :)

What a terrible thing to do to Bourbon. Bourbon should be served in fine crystal or Silver. IF I were to use a wood Goblet It would be unfinished White Oak as that is where the flavor originated. The seasonal infusion in and out of the wood, the carimalization of the natural sugars in the chared White oak barrel is where good Kentucky Bourbon gets its flavor. Shellac be Damned, I'd never use that stuff. Or any product that contains it, on my favorite beverage. :mad:

hughie
26th May 2006, 11:35 AM
What a terrible thing to do to Bourbon. Bourbon should be served in fine crystal or Silver. IF I were to use a wood Goblet It would be unfinished White Oak as that is where the flavor originated. The seasonal infusion in and out of the wood, the carimalization of the natural sugars in the chared White oak barrel is where good Kentucky Bourbon gets its flavor. Shellac be Damned, I'd never use that stuff. Or any product that contains it, on my favorite beverage. :mad:

Hickory,
Sounds good to me, enough to get me drinking Bourbon again....burp!

Maybe he drinks the rotgut type and needs all the help flavour wise he can get :D

hughie

rsser
26th May 2006, 04:16 PM
Hickory,

Maybe he drinks the rotgut type and needs all the help flavour wise he can get :D

hughie

Heck, in that case he should bypass the goblet and suck the Shellawax straight out of the bottle ;-}

That would put the ooh in hooch.

Grizz
26th May 2006, 06:00 PM
Could be on to a whole new range of mixers here. Bourbon and shellawax, bourbon and turps, bourbon and linseed oil...... the mind bogles!

Griz

La truciolara
26th May 2006, 06:24 PM
Heck, in that case he should bypass the goblet and suck the Shellawax straight out of the bottle ;-}

I might try this one :D It might help my spiral turning

Wood worrier
27th May 2006, 01:44 AM
Hello,
I have been planning on turning a goblet one of these days, and I was wondering if someone would recommend a non-toxic alcohol resistant finish.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You
David

Rustins works well but is pricy, I use it on all goblets that are intended for actual use vs just for display and have had no problems or returns.

Hickory
27th May 2006, 04:25 AM
Bite your tongue Griz
Could be on to a whole new range of mixers here. Bourbon and shellawax, bourbon and turps, bourbon and linseed oil...... the mind bogles!

Griz

Around here, the only AND that goes with Bourbon is Ice, and very little of that.

Okay on occasions I wilst use some mint syrup and make a Julep or perhaps some Sweet Vermouth for a Manhattan before dinner, but My preference is just as the gods delivered, straight & neat.

Wow! are we off subject here...... Sorry but you woke a subject dear to my heart.

TimberNut
30th May 2006, 01:35 PM
and whilst we are all hijacking this thread...

I just discovered Wild Turkey "Rare Breed" (12year). They make an 8year version too, but I was given the 12 (lucky me!)

I didn't know that there was a bourbon out there that could make the standard Wild Turkey taste ordinary, but hey, if you haven't tried it, give it a go... (damn, my alcohol budget just got clobbered!)

OGYT
30th May 2006, 01:44 PM
In the USA, the feds require that all finishes be food safe when cured. So anything we can buy is supposed to be alright.
I use Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish for most any item that might be used for food items, but can use Lacquer or paint, if I want. :o)
Grizz, I occasionally refer to my old lathe as Old Griz... Won't bother you, will it? :o))

Grizz
30th May 2006, 05:01 PM
No probs OGYT.
About mixers though, an old Scottish friend of mine was always fond of say that the only thing you mix with a good scotch is more scotch. I must say I feel the same way about bourbon. Sorry if I offended anyone ;).

Grizz

rsser
30th May 2006, 05:28 PM
No probs OGYT.
About mixers though, an old Scottish friend of mine was always fond of say that the only thing you mix with a good scotch is more scotch. I must say I feel the same way about bourbon. Sorry if I offended anyone ;).

Grizz

Agreed. Don't mess with good sippin whisky. Although sometimes just a few drops of water ...

Grizz
30th May 2006, 05:46 PM
Ah, Glenfiddich single malt 15yo Solero Reserve, lovely drink that CAN NOT be mixed with anything :p.

But, back on topic a bit. If I use at least 3 coats of Shellawax liquid on cypress, will it elliminate any alergy problems?

Grizz.

Termite
30th May 2006, 05:50 PM
A warm Scottish welcome is half a tumbler of whisky, a slab of cheese and a good slice of fruit cake, don't you dare ask for anything in the whisky.;)

rsser
30th May 2006, 06:15 PM
That's as may be, but take something like a Tallisker and do a blind (not that blind!) tasting with and without a few drops of water .... and get back to me.

Grizz
30th May 2006, 06:31 PM
I just love the path that this post has taken. Must admit I haven't tried Tallisker but will look for it. Glenfiddich has been my sup of joice for a while now.

Grizz

rsser
30th May 2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah, good thread ;-}

Grizz, it's a very different beast - so maybe try it by the glass before shelling out the $$. Fermented and distilled on the west coast of the Isle of Skye, it has strong iodine and Highland malt character. I had the pleasure of visiting the distillery once.

Aged in Oak, there's a fair degree of evaporation which they called the Angel's share. Nice parallel with the shavings on the floor for we turners.

Grizz
30th May 2006, 07:23 PM
The more I think of it RSSER, drinking a fine malt out of a hand crafted vessel is sounding like a very good idea. Crystal is always good, but the concept of taking a dram from something you've made yourself does have its merits.

Grizz.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st May 2006, 02:42 AM
Tried a dram of Knockando? Bit pricey here, but 'tis a heartwarming drop. :)

Good, clean crystal is mandatory! I may turn a lot of goblets but when it comes to drinking from 'em, well... that's only for barbarians who think that 10yo scotch is "aged." :rolleyes:

Hickory
31st May 2006, 03:07 AM
All this talk is creating urges that I haven't had sense my By-pass surgery, SWMBO is non co-operative so I guess it is off to the bar. Next week I am going to Eastern KY where there is a saw mill in every Holler. Will get me some good White Oak and then make a Goblet of the same as the Golden Nectar is aged. Will try this approach to sippin' some fine Kentucky Ambrosia in a Turned White Oak Goblet.

Will keep you advised of the findings, Purely Research, you understand, I'll sacrifice my self well being just so you will know of the effects of Well Aged Kentucky Bourbon savored from a White Oak stemmed Keg. :p

Grizz
31st May 2006, 06:23 PM
Ya know Hickory, this has brought out the researcher in me. I think it is imperative to try as many woods and as many fine whiskeys as possible. Purely in the interests of science mind you :D.

Grizz.

CameronPotter
31st May 2006, 06:43 PM
Ya know Hickory, this has brought out the researcher in me. I think it is imperative to try as many woods and as many fine whiskeys as possible. Purely in the interests of science mind you :D.

Grizz.

Ahhh the sacrifices we make for scientific advancement...:D