PDA

View Full Version : Japanese cabinetry

Clinton1
15th February 2006, 01:18 PM
http://www.nt.sakura.ne.jp/~garakuta/wood/mftr/skep/indexe.htm

pianoman
15th February 2006, 01:45 PM
Fantastic site !!

When I can make a good joinery, not so tight , but pop when pulling tenon out from mortise, I feel my skill is improved. and cannot help smirking.:-)
But it may be a eerie situation ,a middle-aged man, holding a wood stick in his hands, smirking alone in a little cabin in the silence of dark snow forest in....I hope no one witnessed.

Love it! WHo hasn't smirked about a good bit of joinery? Go on admit it!

Wood Borer
15th February 2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks Clinton, I enjoyed it very much.

Clinton1
15th February 2006, 02:32 PM
Smirking - its more a case of "ohhh, bugger" for me

garakuta
17th February 2006, 12:05 AM
Thank you for introducing my webpage
on this grait Forum. Clinton.:-)
I love unique projects on Australlian woodworkers' website.

9Fingers
17th February 2006, 05:24 AM
I love unique projects on Australlian woodworkers' website.

Welcome aboard, great site and I hope you'll become a regular.

pianoman
18th February 2006, 02:20 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Great website.I Hope to see many more examples of your work.

Pianoman

derekcohen
18th February 2006, 08:26 PM
Hi Garakuta

A very warm welcome to our forum. May you return often.

Your work is inspiring. Thank you so much.

Regards from Perth

Derek

econ
19th February 2006, 01:29 AM
Stunning work.

And no power tools anywhere.:)

nessie11
19th February 2006, 08:28 AM
Awsome.... enjoyed looking here a lot and Smirked at the smirking :)

Nessie

stevebaby
19th February 2006, 07:02 PM
I love unique projects on Australlian woodworkers' website.Domo arigato gozaimasu!:)Hajimemash*te!:)

garakuta
20th February 2006, 02:32 AM
Thank you for many compliments and heart warming welcome.
I'm glad to know so many people is interested in joinery and hand tools in Aust.
and the same time, I have to apologize to force reading my English on you all. :-)
Your commnets inspired me to rivise my website. Thank you.
Stevebaby-san, Hajimemash*te and Do itash.mash*te.

Max Ripper
20th February 2006, 03:01 AM
Good stuff man try this when your not busy http://www.taunton.com/FWN/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=24976

zenwood
20th February 2006, 09:49 AM
Welcome, Garakuta. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

I still think one of the coolest joints I've seen is the one referred to here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=17989&highlight=amazing+japanese).

Canadian Beaver
24th February 2006, 11:28 PM
Wow garakuta, thats some spectacular joinery. Nice work and welcome to the forums!

AlexS
25th February 2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks for letting us have the story of some great cabinet work and your thoughts as you made it.

Driver
25th February 2006, 04:44 PM
G'day Garakuta-san!

Welcome to the forums. Your work is truly impressive. Thank you for sharing it with us. I look forward to seeing more in the future.

(I really enjoyed your comment about smirking at your successful joinery. That made me smile!)

Regards

Col

garakuta
27th February 2006, 03:05 AM
I'm glad to know , we , woodworkers, can share the same sense of 'smirking ' in different countries. (time zone is almost same, though ,,:-)

BTW, the following joinery list is one of what we , present woodworkers inherited from old masters.
http://www.nt.sakura.ne.jp/~garakuta/wood/english/tsugi/joinery.htm

Schtoo
27th February 2006, 03:37 AM
Sorry I missed this earlier.

Welcome Garakuta-sama, I hope you spend lots of time here and share your work with us all more often.

Great work by the way. :D

I wish I had your patience...

(Time for bed too! Oyasumi nasai)

niki
28th February 2006, 07:14 AM
Konnichiwa Garakuta sensei

Kochira wa niki de gozaimasu, doozo yoroshiku.
Watakushi wa ima porando de sunde imasu demo 11 nen de yokohama ni sunde imashta (nakaku honmokuhara) nihon air systemu ni tsuite imashta.

Karaguta sensei no webu saito o honto ni sugoku omoshiroi
Karaguta sensei no shigoto ga suupa de gozaimasu
Watakshi wa konna ni suru dekinai

Hontoo ni doomo arigato gozaimashta

Dewa mata yoroshiku

Niki desu

zenwood
28th February 2006, 09:22 AM
Konnichiwa Garakuta sensei...それの単語を理解しなかった。 (Except "air system" and "11"). 翻訳か。

Schtoo
28th February 2006, 11:52 AM
How did you get that to work Zen? :confused:

Niki, interesting... :cool:

niki
28th February 2006, 12:21 PM
Zenwood

Sorry about that, it was an impulse to reply in Japanese.

Schtoo san

As an Engrish teacher, you probably understand my-not so good-Japanese.

Cheers
niki

zenwood
28th February 2006, 01:36 PM
How did you get that to work Zen? :confused:
私はこれを使用した :)

http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

Schtoo
28th February 2006, 11:38 PM
Actually, I meant how you got the characters to work.

Usually when I slip and type in stuff with it still switched to Japanese text set, it comes out as lotsa ????s...

For example.

I am Stu. Nice to meet you. 

Now it works properly. I hate computers. :mad:

Niki, your Japanese there was fine, better than mine would be if I bashed it in.

However, I could read what Zenwood bashed in pretty well. I can read ok, but that's about it. :(

zenwood
1st March 2006, 12:13 AM
I am Stu. Nice to meet you. Was that supposed to be in Japanese characters? If so, it came out in Roman characters for me. Perhaps it is a browser issue. I use Firefox, which seems to display Japanese text OK, though I wouldn't know how to read it, e.g. http://news.google.com/news?ned=jp or http://www.asahi.com/home.html

For my post above, I just did a copy and paste from the language translator. Let's try it from Asahi:

「過剰反応」で申し合わせ 個人情報保護法の関係省庁 (http://www.asahi.com/politics/update/0228/010.html)(20:17)

JB
1st March 2006, 08:23 AM
Hi Go

Spent more time quietly looking at your shoe cabinet project.

One point: I think your (forced) choice of horizontal-grain panels was the best as width of top panels might cause shrinkage/expansion problems (although I know you allow for this).

Also: what finish did you apply to cabinet? Do you sand before finishing?

underused
1st March 2006, 12:36 PM
Welcome to the forum Garakuta! Your work is truely excellent! If You were in the Fukuoka area I'd like to visit your workshop, to learn from you. I live in Fukuoka.
Yoroshikuonegaitashimasu.
Gary.

Groggy
1st March 2006, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the forum Garakuta. I particularly liked the phrase "gift of the forest"!

Whenever I can I watch the demonstrations at woodworking shows by a Japanese craftsman, it never fails to fascinate me.

garakuta
1st March 2006, 09:53 PM
Wow! Fantastic! What a great experience! I found Japanese language class in foreign ww forum :-)!
and thank you so many welcome and flatter greeting.

niki-san , your Japanese is perfect! It's my first experience to read Japanese in foreign forum.;-)
but sensei(teacher/master) is not proper for me. I'm a novice. BTW porando means Poland or porando is in Australia ?

JB- Ah, That was your mail.:-) yes, shrinkage/expansion caused by humidity cycle is a problem, especially
in Japan. In addition to it, I make my project from green log. So I keep lumbers indoor for months and use thick lumber as much as possible.
I finished it with oil. (U.S FDA and Japanese food safe regulation passed). and I had used #600 sanding paper before I fished it.

underused-san
I visited Fukuoka in last Mov. I met ww friend of web for the first time. I talked much in his workshop and had great time with him.

groggy-san
Gift of the forest is my real feeling. as I get logs in forest nearby and make lumbers in sawmill.

Schtoo
2nd March 2006, 12:38 AM
Zen, what I meant was typing in Roman characters from the Japanese character set. When I bash in a reply, I usually don't really pay attention to it, and after I hit send it comes out as garbage.

Obviously it doesn't here. I think it's the forum itself rather than Firefox. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Moo73
4th March 2006, 07:57 AM
Great website - would like to see more

Clinton1
7th March 2006, 09:09 AM
Garakuta,
I'm glad that you decided to join the forum.

What is the process for getting your timber? I see the picture of the truck and crane in your previous post. Do you buy a harvesting licence?
I have read a book on environmental management that rates the Japanese Forestry management program as both very old and one of the most successful. I would like to know more.

I had some questions about your shoe cabinet - but have forgotten, I will have to go and look at your site again.

garakuta
13th March 2006, 11:19 PM
Hi Clinton1
I have no harvesting licence. Few years ago, I saw a feller working beside of rulal road near by. I asked him if he could buy the logs to me.
His offer was reasonable, and he invited me to his stock yard to show other logs. He kindly carry the logs to sawmill and sawmill manager kindly
carry lumber to my workshop. So I have no truck but I can get ton of
lumber. :-)

Schtoo
14th March 2006, 01:07 AM
Garakuta, you might want to check out Stu in Tokyo's website (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/woodlot.htm).

He just chopped up a bunch of trees, and you might get some good ideas for your future wood aquisitions.

Me, I am lazy. I got the last lot sent from Tokushima, already cut and dried. :D

niki
14th March 2006, 08:31 AM
Schtoo san

I think that I will check Stu personaly if I'll have time.

I'll be in Tokyo next week (actually, friday)

Thanks
niki

garakuta
16th March 2006, 12:03 AM
Thank you Schtoo san. It's a great website. and his workshop is within 10 km from my company. may be. I'll send email if I can visit his workshop.
My workshop was also introduced on the same WW magazine, Do-Pa.:-)
what do you plan for your new project with the lot ?

Schtoo
16th March 2006, 03:20 AM
When were you in Do-pa? I don't buy it, but when I see it I have a look through it for interesting things. I don't think they will come all the way to Kagawa to see my messy workshop though. Maybe that's a good thing.

Stu there also own/runs a liquor store, so you might grab something to drink while you are there. ;)

For the 'lot', that being 0.2m3 of red oak, 0.45m3 of cherry, I am making a bedside table/bookshelf (oak) and a long sideboard (cherry). It was not easy to get, and I asked many places trying to find a good price for the wood. Most of them were very VERY expensive, and I thought that maybe I would have to use tamo for the bookshelf and be unable to make the sideboard. I was very lucky however, and got the wood for a very good price. Comparable to US prices. :)

Hopefully I should have some wood left over for some things we need at home, mainly some baby furniture. :D

Andy Mac
16th March 2006, 09:47 AM
Hi there,
I just spent an exhausting half hour going through Stu in Tokyo's woodlot saga (thanks for the link Schtoo)...my God, does that boy go hard!?:eek: :eek: A resourceful, intrepid character! Tons of wonderful looking Japanese timber, and he starts cutting up pen blanks!!LOL

Cheers,

Stu in Tokyo
16th March 2006, 08:03 PM
Geez, I don't get around here much, and I come here and find you all speaking  日本語 on me, and giving me kudos :D

Maybe I should hang out here more often...?

My Dungeon work shop is open to visitors if you can call me and set up a time. Mornings or later in the evenings are better, (after 9 PM).

PM me if you want my cell phone number.

Cheers!

PS the Pen blanks was just to get rid of some off cuts and stuff I had laying around, I did get a bunch of good wood out of the deal. :D

Wood Butcher
16th March 2006, 08:35 PM
Stu, you lucky mongrel :D

Thanks for the picture story of you exploits.

Hope you have lots of fun using you timber!!

Schtoo
16th March 2006, 10:40 PM
Stu.

Yes. ;)