PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider...

Wild Dingo
17th February 2006, 01:35 AM
Your feet?
I mean we think of our eyes and wear glasses or the shade thing and we think of our ears and wear muffs or plugs we think of our hands constantly and our lungs with dustys connected and we think of the tools and what were doing how were stanced and balanced... we think of our clothing even!
But do we consider our feet? Im talkin our toes here as much as the foot itself... how often do you consider these pesky things?
I learnt a good lesson yesty evening as I was wandering around the new shed... cleanup hasnt happened yet that was planned for today... so there I was as always in my oberalls wandering around checking things out... barefoot as is my norm

And as I wandered through the shed in the dim light from the house some 100 mtrs away theres a sudden sharp flash of PAIN in my foot... small toes to be precise... strewth I though shyte that hurts must be a peice of metal from the cutting of the sheets of tin over the shed... then the sticky feeling mmmm this aint gonna be good I start thinkin as I meander meself toward the house the pain was becoming quite severe and the feelin of bloodletting was becoming rather like a gushing flood from my foot

Yep... slashed the foot right across under the smaller toes between the pad and toe... and up between the buggars!... blood everywhere... rushed trip to the emergency dept a bunch of stitches and a few days of work... hobbling around like a 90 year old phart :o

So I went out and found the culprit today... nice peice of angle iron that had managed to escape the pile of rubbish waiting to be taken to the dump down the back :mad:

I RARELY wear shoes of any form including Japanese Safety boots... just wear then IF I HAVE TO but any second outside of that Im barefoot... yesty I got a sharp wakeup call

Protect these things that sit down at the bottom of your shanks's ponies mates.. cause when they blow out by crikey your stuffed... and pain? shooting pain right up the flamin leg!!!!!! (I feel it ALL cause Im allergic to painkillers :rolleyes: )

DavidG
17th February 2006, 10:42 AM
You mean my thongs aren't enough.:rolleyes:

redwood
17th February 2006, 10:48 AM
Thongs in summer and runners in winter thats what i wear;)

bennylaird
17th February 2006, 10:51 AM
Always shudder when I see a Motorbike go past in summer with the rider in thongs.

redwood
17th February 2006, 10:56 AM
Always shudder when I a Motorbike go past in summer with the rider in thongs.

Ill take your advice and not ride a motor bike in my workshop:cool:

bennylaird
17th February 2006, 11:02 AM
:D Why not? I used to ride mine into my bedroom when I first moved out of home. That is until SWMBO came onto the scene and ruined the fun.:D

OK not for that..... Just to tear it down and mod it etc, yo lot are sick!!!!:eek: :D

Rocker
17th February 2006, 11:06 AM
I wear sneakers all year round. I like to be able, if I see a plane falling towards the concrete, to save it by letting it hit my foot first.

As far as I am concerned, I would never enter the shed with bare feet. An electric shock could well be fatal if you are standing on concrete with bare feet; and if you drop a sharp chisel on your bare foot it could give you a nasty wound, apart from the risk of being cut by sharp debris, as Wild Dingo was.

Rocker

bennylaird
17th February 2006, 11:18 AM
Amazing how you can use a bare body part to stop something nasty hitting the floor, did that with a cup of hot coffee reflexes don't think.

I don't keep my shed floor clean enough to risk bare feet, would have iron splinters, wood splinter, cuts, bites etc etc.

While at work we are reminded of safety all the time, why is it we relax at home where we are more likely to do damage?

Harry72
17th February 2006, 12:15 PM
Ya need shed/workshop SC boots... and good quality ones not those elastic sided things, I find a hiking style safety boot is best they have good cushioning and side lateral support.
Your back and legs/hips will thank you for it with less pain's, especially if you have a concrete floor

journeyman Mick
17th February 2006, 01:39 PM
I have a couple of pairs of "Steel Blue" lace up safety boots. More comfortable than any runners, longer lasting, great cushioning for working on concrete and infinitely more comfortable than embedding sharp things in bare feet or dropping heavy or pointy things onto bare or runner encased feet.

I never leave home without them. (In best Karl Maldern voice;) )

Mick

Wood Borer
17th February 2006, 02:06 PM
I always wear my blunstones if I am doing woodwork but thongs etc when I am entertaining or relaxing other than doing woodwork in the shed.

I rarely drop my chisels or planes but if one was to fall, I would be more likely to rescue it wearing blundstones than thongs.

silentC
17th February 2006, 02:19 PM
Pair of Redbacks for me. Also found out last weekend that they're not bad for walking on tin roofs either, so better than blunnies in that regard.

Zed
17th February 2006, 02:23 PM
I wear me dragon claw slippers, me thongs or just feet. in winter I wear pants too.

mind you I only "do wood" besides the occasional drill hole so not so bad.

seriously - pair of runners usually....

bennylaird
17th February 2006, 02:27 PM
Olivers for me as work supplies them and I reckon they would like me to stay safe at home so I can get to work ok.

Remind me to only visit Zeds Shed in winter!!!!!!!

Pat
17th February 2006, 03:59 PM
Blunnies, to keep my feet protected from myself! :D I have 1/2 inch rubber matting over concrete to take the strain of my back etc and so that planes/chisels don't go crack!

E. maculata
17th February 2006, 04:59 PM
Never actually comtemplate working in shed without laceup steelcaps, the tread is also a primary concern overlooked by many. I will occassionally enter the shed sans boots, and sometimes even that bites (8x2 Red mahog falling from bench onto toe is fun, let me tells ya).

redwood
17th February 2006, 05:24 PM
I rarely drop my chisels or planes but if one was to fall, I would be more likely to rescue it wearing blundstones than thongs.

Wimpy victorian:D :D

martrix
17th February 2006, 05:24 PM
never venture into the shed without my http://www.cat.com/public/23/93/229262/7/1111693635046/t/logo.gif steel

capped boots. Expensive but worth it, I spend a lot of time in them.

and guess what..............never hurt my twinkies.:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th February 2006, 12:11 AM
Blundies when I'm working on-site (bloody site insurance [sigh]) and good bike-boots when riding, but barefoot everywhere else... unless management is active about some "policy." I've even signed an affadavit at the local Bunnies absolving 'em from any legal liability should I step on a nail or similar. :rolleyes:

Why? Some 20 year ago my left foot was macheted (long story), taking out the achilles tendon and nerves. After 12 months with poor recovery I started going barefoot to provide some form of stimulation. It worked, sorta, and old habits die hard...

redwood
18th February 2006, 12:24 AM
I've even signed an affadavit at the local Bunnies absolving 'em from any legal liability should I step on a nail or similar.

Skew are you serious? this topic came up at the pub a few months ago and most thought they would be liable for leaving something lying around not the shoeless buyer. i go bare foot in bunnies some times and no one has had ago at me:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th February 2006, 01:42 AM
Skew are you serious? this topic came up at the pub a few months ago and most thought they would be liable for leaving something lying around not the shoeless buyer. i go bare foot in bunnies some times and no one has had ago at me:D

Dead serious, mate. I've been going there barefoot for years, but some 6 months ago the "dude in the door" pulled me aside as I entered and told me I wasn't allowed entry without footwear. I explained that I'd been in'n'out for yonks and this was the first time I'd heard of it; he called over the floor manager (I think) who decided to enforce the rule.

A few days later I went back and the "dude on the door" was a lady I knew from prior visits. She called me aside, giving me the same spiel. I asked about signing an affadavit, she thought it over and decided it'd be ok. So, I wrote it out on the back of one of their fliers (citing "medical condition") and she let me by. I've no idea what position she holds there but I've been back many times since, usually barefoot, and have run across the original door dude and floor manager several times. Nothing has been said about my lack of footwear. :D:D

I had the same problem with a few other places, surprisingly a few have even supplied a "temporary loan" of a pair of thongs for the duration of the visit! This used to be just a pub thing, but it's surprising how many places do it now. :eek: I've been assuming it's an insurance thing rather than legal liabilty... the same as for my site insurance.

meerkat
10th August 2006, 03:45 PM
Thongs in summer and runners in winter thats what i wear;)

Dude !!!!! What have the type of undies got to do with your feet !!!!:eek:;):D

felixe
10th August 2006, 05:21 PM
:p Redback steel caps for me in the workshop. They start out at work and when they get to old and worn they get retired to home, at last count I had 4 pairs laying around, it always makes it easy to find a pair of boots for the workshop or for mowing:D .