PDA

View Full Version : Precedent Set by my Son-in-Law

Barry_White
17th February 2006, 06:02 PM
Up to now I have resisted making a jewelry box but a challenge has been set by my son-in-law. We are visiting at the moment and my daughter says to him show dad the jewelry box you made me.

Now even as a darksider he really doesn't cut it as his tool kit consists of a hand saw, a square, a hammer and an electric drill.

So he goes and drags out this jewelry box which he made with a hand saw and a sanding pad in an electric drill.

To add insult to injury it is made from radiata. Certainly no fancy joints but really is worth posting here. Stained with Feast Watson proof tint and one coat of Wattyl high gloss varnish applied with a brush. Now I'm no expert on finishing but consider it came up a treat.

The box was just glued together with PVA glue and had to join one side piece at a time so he could put weights on it on account that he had no clamps.

Because he couldn't make the box as a complete unit and then saw the lid from the base he made it in two separate pieces and the alignment match is perfect.

To round over the corners of the box he ran a pencil mark along the edges and sanded the corners off with sanding pad in the electric drill and then finished them by hand.

What do you box makers think.

MICKYG
17th February 2006, 06:57 PM
Barry thats a great box, how will he go when he gets some tools?

Regards Mike;)

Barry_White
17th February 2006, 07:05 PM
Barry thats a great box, how will he go when he gets some tools?

Regards Mike;)

I shudder to think. I'll never catch up.

Auld Bassoon
17th February 2006, 07:18 PM
G'day Barry,

Given the tools (in fact, regardless of the tools!), I think he's done a terrific job, and even the crapiata looks good :eek:

For heaven's sake, though, don't let him buy some good tools as he's likely to make some folks rather embarassed :D

Give him a big "well done" from this quarter anyway!

jow104
17th February 2006, 07:25 PM
Barry,

Thanks for the thread, reminds me of 50 years ago and some of my tools came from Woolworths. I only got my first machine tool a Triton in 2002.

outback
17th February 2006, 08:47 PM
Tell your daughter to dump him, nobody likes a smart alec. :p

scottyk
17th February 2006, 09:12 PM
very nice indeed

Harry72
18th February 2006, 12:09 AM
Most of us dont like crapiarta, but it can look nice if stained. The strong grain features is what most non-woodies like lots.

nessie11
18th February 2006, 07:50 AM
Fantastic, :D looks great, lining what is it

Nessie

zenwood
18th February 2006, 08:29 AM
That's just not fair. I suppose when he gets some clamps he'll go straight into making a bombe chest of drawers, and when he gets a plane he'll do a sheraton desk.

Great post, Bazz

DPB
18th February 2006, 08:50 AM
Barry, perhaps you should become his apprentice.:D

Carry Pine
18th February 2006, 08:52 AM
Barry, don't feel bad. You and a whole lot of other people realise that you just can't saw up some radiata and make it into a box. There are a whole lot of 'rules'. Things are going to happen to that box over time- you may not see it, the youngsters may, but if it was that simple these other people would not be going to so much trouble, Roger G. would have another trade and this site would become very boring.
My suggestion is make a stunner, yourself. Include some special things like dovetails or those special hinges where you don't see the screws and make it out of something really special- maybe with a history. Say that it's a companion piece- real people will be able to see the difference.

echnidna
18th February 2006, 09:10 AM
He's done a great job Bazza.

Now you can get real serious shed time to yerself

Get him some decent tools and you can pass on everyones bits and pieces that you don't wanna do. :cool:

BobR
18th February 2006, 09:33 PM
Bazza, I think you should draw his attention that you just can't make a box with a couple of hand tools. That he needs a table saw, possibly a band saw, also a jointer, thicknesser, a dovetail jig, a router, and a sander. Suggest that he go away and try again.:rolleyes: So that he does not feel that his work has been in vain, let him know that you can put it to good use as you need somewhere to keep your screws.;)

RufflyRustic
20th February 2006, 10:46 AM
Geez, that's so close to my method of making boxes that it's not funny. :eek: The only difference is I have a few more tools and my boxes don't come out as neatly finished as that :rolleyes:

The box is amazing. I think he has talent that should be nurtured and and.... make him a partner-in-crime to get more tools and shed-time.:)

cheers
RufflyRustic

jow104
20th February 2006, 06:48 PM
I think it is all down to the youngs mans wife, who obviously had a good upbringing.;) :)

elphingirl
20th February 2006, 07:13 PM
He's a keeper! Well done on selecting a son-in-law.
Cheers
Justine