PDA

View Full Version : Off to Tassie for a holiday !

swiftden
17th February 2006, 06:28 PM
Well

The time has arrived and i am going to Tassie on Sunday at midday for a holiday. I hope to find some good timber blanks etc to send back home via Australia post. My wife has eve ngot on the wagon and said "hey maybe we can find some nice wood and you can make me some pretty things"
So looks like im in the clear for searching around saw mills whilst on holiday .

Will let ya all know what i find and send back to myself.

Auld Bassoon
17th February 2006, 06:57 PM
Lucky bugga!

Send SHMBO back by air (or Aussie Post, whatever), so that there's more room for WOOD :D :D

scottyk
17th February 2006, 08:41 PM
Enchanted Woods just north of Geevston is worth a look.
Scotty

China
17th February 2006, 08:46 PM
lots of nice wood down there take lot of the foldin stuff cash talks dicount

ptc
18th February 2006, 09:06 AM
The Nut Stanley
home of Cockattoo Timbers.

Carry Pine
18th February 2006, 09:09 AM
Travelling out of Stanley, heading south east along the highway, turnoff to the right not long out of Stanley is a small timber mill that sells turning blanks and odd bits of timber. Very cheap if you can chose something from out the back. When I was there bought a 3m length of celery top pine. 2 guys offered to thickness it for me (free) and then cut it in half to put it in the car. They each held an end and ran it through a 'widow maker'. Guess what? it grabbed. Maybe this post should be on the safety site. But a good place to go anyway.
Go through the scrap bin at Straun. Amazing what you can produce out of leftovers and Huon is great to work with.
We are all very jealous.

Baz
18th February 2006, 07:46 PM
Swiftden, you may want to reconsider your idea on posting blanks back to SA, could be quiet excy. Might be better to wait until you have what you want and then freight them back. I am assuming you are flying there and back.
Cheers
Barry

swiftden
19th February 2006, 09:51 AM
Frieght it back ??? with the airport ???
all new to me ? Yeah i am flying

Baz
19th February 2006, 07:53 PM
Swiftden, find a freight company in Tassie to arrange transport or buy all timber at the one place and they will probably arrange freight for you. I think most timber dealers over there freight to the mainland. I did a postage deal on some timber with a forum member in WA and the cost was high.
Cheers
Barry

martrix
19th February 2006, 08:00 PM
Travelling out of Stanley, heading south east along the highway, turnoff to the right not long out of Stanley is a small timber mill that sells turning blanks and odd bits of timber. Very cheap if you can chose something from out the back. When I was there bought a 3m length of celery top pine. 2 guys offered to thickness it for me (free) and then cut it in half to put it in the car. They each held an end and ran it through a 'widow maker'. Guess what? it grabbed. Maybe this post should be on the safety site. But a good place to go anyway.
Go through the scrap bin at Straun. Amazing what you can produce out of leftovers and Huon is great to work with.
We are all very jealous.

"widowmaker"?,:eek: ............. more info please

swiftden
1st March 2006, 08:41 PM
Well I'm back and i must say WOW. What a beautiful place you Tasmanians have. I told my wife that is where i wish to retire. (many years to go ). I love the forests and the mountains. It is all an asset that needs to be looked after.

I brought back turning blocks of Myrtle, sasafrass, Houn pine, King Billy Pine, Celery top pine, and some others. about 35 kgs in total.

Cant wait to put it on the lathe. My wife also bought chopping boards etc for all her family.

I have never seen so many trees and of such a size. You truely are living in God's country in my opinion.

Although i now regard it as the road kill capital. I have never seen so many small wallabies and all of em squashed. They were every where.

I also got a couple of phone numbers etc while i was over there for timber :)
I cant wait to go back there one day !

TassieKiwi
2nd March 2006, 10:46 AM
Glad to have you. Did you get to see the 'Fathers of the Forest' in the Styx?

swiftden
3rd March 2006, 09:37 PM
where is that near???