PDA

View Full Version : keyring pens

ss_11000
17th February 2006, 07:39 PM
hi peoples

is there such thing as mini pen or keyring pen parts:confused:

Asking cos i keep seeing people with texta pen thingies on there keys and i decided i wanted to turn one.:rolleyes:

if there aint no kits could i just shorten a normal pen kit:confused:

tia

Naf
20th February 2006, 06:34 PM
Hi, try this site, its in the U.S. but they are great for certain parts and also Dymondwood.
http://woodnwhimsies.com/Keychains.htm

Nathan

ss_11000
3rd June 2006, 03:15 PM
thanx naf for the kit you sent me.

hey guys, i'm still looking for an Australian supplier of these kits. check out this thread to find out what i'm talking about

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=32711

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd June 2006, 06:01 PM
Stirlo, you do realise that there's nothing to stop you from mix'n'matching fittings from a std. keyring kit and a normal slimline pen? They're all sized for the same tubes.. :)

You can use either end of the k/ring kit in the pen... either the "loop" to make a key-ring pen or the other end if you want the end-cap to be more of a feature.

I've also made single tube keyrings with a pen-tip on the end and a shortened ink-tube from a cheap biro. Sure, it wasn't retractable and a pain to refill, but it sold fairly quickly just the same. [shrug]

ss_11000
3rd June 2006, 07:12 PM
Stirlo, you do realise that there's nothing to stop you from mix'n'matching fittings from a tsd. keyring kit and a normal slimline pen? They're all sized for the same tubes.. :)yep, i realise that but the refills are to big to suit keyring sized stuff.

You can use either end of the k/ring kit in the pen... either the "loop" to make a key-ring pen or the other end if you want the end-cap to be more of a feature.

I've also made single tube keyrings with a pen-tip on the end and a shortened ink-tube from a cheap biro. Sure, it wasn't retractable and a pain to refill, but it sold fairly quickly just the same. [shrug] would you have to use a secret compartment key ring kit?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd June 2006, 07:30 PM
would you have to use a secret compartment key ring kit?

That'd make refilling a LOT easier. :) But no, I just used a bit of s/paper around a dowel and honed out the end of the brass tube until the pen-tip fitted tightly enough to not fall out by itself but could still be removed by hand. Primitive, but workable.

ss_11000
3rd June 2006, 07:33 PM
sound workable, have you got any turned up that you can post pics of r point me in the right direction of a previous thread?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd June 2006, 07:40 PM
No. It was just something I played around with ages ago, nothing spectacular. If I do another, I think I'll use a "secret compartment" keyring. Thanks for the idea. :)

A word of warning: if you gut the ink-tube from a cheap new biro, it gets REALLY messy when you trim it to length. Wear gloves! Also, after getting the length right, give the tube a bit of a squeeze to get rid of the last 5mm or so of ink from the end of the tube; if it's left full right to the end it'll leak and make a mess.

ss_11000
3rd June 2006, 07:43 PM
i'll have to remember that one.

Jenny Brandis
4th June 2006, 03:09 AM
A word of warning: if you gut the ink-tube from a cheap new biro, it gets REALLY messy when you trim it to length. Wear gloves!

Or use your husbands bandsaw! You should have seen his face when the next bit of wood he trimmed had a blue tinge to it:)

ss_11000
4th June 2006, 11:38 AM
Or use your husbands bandsaw! You should have seen his face when the next bit of wood he trimmed had a blue tinge to it:)

:D can just imagine.:D :eek: