PDA

View Full Version : Irony

Caliban
18th February 2006, 06:21 PM
Well, I'm breathing again, painfully.
Today I decided to fix a safety concern with my new (for me, thanks Darrylf:D ) tablesaw. The problem was no splitter was fitted. I admit I used it lots with no incident. So today I routed a slot in the outfeed table to allow the splitter to be fitted and proceeded to fit it. Easy, neat and great until I tried to tilt the blade. So starts mk2. Routed a much wider slot, I did. Now it tilts to about 30degrees. More routing and we're getting close to what we wants. Good enough. Now for a feather board, says me to meself. Cuts the angle makes a safe holding jig, cuts the fingers of the featherboard, beautiful.
Hang on says me, this last feather is way too thin and will end up breaking off. No problem we'll just rip it off. So through she goes, when bang bloody ouch I've got a kickback; the feather board thumps me fair in the chest and drops me like a sack of spuds. Literally can't breath, not at all start to panic thinking I've bloody copped that right on the heart, wondering if I'm having a heart attack. It hit me flattish(ly) but still drew blood for six inches across me chest. Lump over me sternum. Pharque it scared me.
Why did it happen?
Well, somehow while trying to tilt the blade I think the motor pushed against the outfeed table and moved the mounting about half a millimetre just enough to cause the blade ( which was exactly perfect this morning) to resaw enough to throw the job at me.
How ironic, making safety bits and it has a tantrum. Should just have carried on without any splitter or guard. The worst part will be when SWMBO finds out, which she will as it is gonna bruise like a basterd.
Tried to fix the alignment of the blade with the table again, but hurts too much, so having computer time instead drinking a beer cause I still have all me fingers and perhaps the dust extractor was sucking just hard enough to stop it hitting me in the face.:D Then I'd would have been in hospital.
Thank you to which ever wood god saved me.
Ahhh shed time.I always get nervous when things go too easily and today was no exception.
The worst part is I was trying completely out of character to be safety conscious.

Auld Bassoon
18th February 2006, 06:37 PM
Glad that you're ok mate - it's almost as if the Wood Gods were saying "This is why you need a splitter or riving knife"

Eastie
18th February 2006, 06:51 PM
Sorry to hear it mate - thankfullt it's not major. Funny that not so long ago I was reading posts about kickback being myth???

I hope it makes you feel a bit better that you've managed to put a smile on my dial - kickback while making safety improvements.... clasical :D

Groggy
18th February 2006, 06:57 PM
This is why it is a good idea to wear bicycle clips on the trousers when sawing - less cleanup to do when things go awry.

Glad to hear you're ok, don't forget to paint a little man on the side of the saw.

Zed
18th February 2006, 07:08 PM
keep your shirt on for a week mate!

Sturdee
18th February 2006, 07:32 PM
JIm, what can I say? Maybe this greenie will help in your anguish.

Peter.

ozwinner
18th February 2006, 08:09 PM
JIm, what can I say?
Maybe this greenie will help in your anguish

http://www.bartcop.com/sticker-peter-garrett-midnight-oil.jpg

Peter.

Al :D

Rocker
18th February 2006, 08:33 PM
Jim,

Sorry to hear of your mishap with kickback. Having had an argument with my table-saw about a month ago (which the saw won - but my finger has now healed well), I can smpathise. I didn't really understand your explanation of the cause of your kickback, but I remember a vicious incident some years ago, when a thin triangular stick was kicked back and almost went right through the plywood panel on my garage door; I shudder to think what would have happened if it had it me in the stomach. I was following a procedure with an auxiliary fence recommended in an old FW article when it happened; never again! Ever since that time, when making a rip cut with the blade tilted to the right, I always have the fence on the left-hand side of the blade, so that the offcut piece is not trapped between the blade and the fence.

Rocker

Driver
18th February 2006, 08:45 PM
Good to learn you weren't seriously hurt, Jim. Sympathy greenie on the way.

(While you're recovering, give a thought to the RITFOTU - the VLGI has a new and interesting quartermaster :D )

craigb
18th February 2006, 08:54 PM
Geez Jim, glad you're are o.k.

Now write out 50 times:

I will stand to the side of the blade. :p

Sympathy greenie from me too.

Sturdee
18th February 2006, 09:26 PM

Al, I think that greenie would add to his anguish.:D :D I'd give you one for that but I couldn't stand seeing that pic twice.:p

Peter.

Driver
18th February 2006, 09:31 PM
Al, I think that greenie would add to his anguish.:D :D

Peter.

Peter

It could have been even more horrible. Al might have posted a pic of Brown the Green :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

(That wasn't an invitation, Al. Max Bygraves was bad enough. Bob Bloody Brown would be a pillock too far).

ozwinner
18th February 2006, 09:46 PM
Peter

It could have been even more horrible. Al might have posted a pic of Brown the Green :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

(That wasn't an invitation, Al. Max Bygraves was bad enough. Bob Bloody Brown would be a pillock too far).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/images/2005/05/04/max_bygraves_180_180x200.jpg

Al :eek: :D

Sturdee
18th February 2006, 09:53 PM
Bob Bloody Brown would be a pillock too far.

He would make me see red with anger.:mad:

Peter.

ozwinner
18th February 2006, 09:59 PM
He would make me see red with anger.:mad:

Peter.

Not Max though, he is funny peculiar..

Sturdee
18th February 2006, 10:06 PM
Not Max though, he is funny peculiar..

I rather like Max. You can sing along with him as loud as you can and out of tune just like him.:D

Peter.

ozwinner
18th February 2006, 10:24 PM
I rather like Max.

Peter.

So does Col.
Its Cols faaaverate artiste

Caliban
18th February 2006, 10:28 PM
Auld
Mate it spat it back at me before it reached the splitter
Zed
Mate that's a good idea.
Peter
I've managed to upset the alignment of the blade and when I tried to rip between the fence and the blade the back of the saw is resawing, it picked up my workpiece and damn near put it through my chest.
Al
Don't you realise how much it hurts to laugh you basterd. I tried to send you a greenie for the quick hijack but wasn't allowed it's too soon since I gave you one for calling me a bastard (but not a cheap bastard;) )
everyone else
thanks for the sympathy, I'm more scared and bruised than hurt. And scared she will see the bruises.
Love ya all. we're No.1

ozwinner
18th February 2006, 10:38 PM
This is for Max!!

http://212.84.179.117/i/Webley%20No.%201.jpg

Al :eek: :D

DanP
18th February 2006, 11:00 PM
If that's from the Craporium it prolly dusnt work. :p

Driver
18th February 2006, 11:05 PM
Listen, Al - mate. :D

This is getting serious and - as your friend and fellow woodie, Northerner and BB member - I feel it is incumbent upon me to try to help you get past this obsession you seem to be developing for that prune Max Bygraves.:eek:

Al - son - it's unhealthy. There's no other way to say it. Unhealthy.:(

There hasn't been a sane adult person in the entire known world in the past 40 years who has considered Max Bygraves to be anything other than a blot on the escutcheon of show business. Other, that is, than those who consider him to be naught but a pimple on the buttocks of the entertainment world.

Yet here you are, displaying photos of this eternally cheerful prat on the hallowed pages of this much-loved BB. :eek:

Al, you need to step into the Hall of Mirrors and take a long, hard look at yourself, son. This obsession - this unhealthy fascination - must end before it's too late.

There's probably a worthwhile self-help group somewhere called Prunes Anonymous or something equally appropriate, to help you and fellow sufferers to shake themselves of this urge to perpetuate memories of (shudder!) Maxie Boy. Find this group, Al and join it before it's too late.

Your mate

Col :p

ozwinner
18th February 2006, 11:05 PM
If that's from the Craporium it prolly dusnt work. :p

Do you think Id show it here if it was, them coppers are everywhere..

Al :D :D :D

E. maculata
18th February 2006, 11:08 PM
I shall now call you "lucky Jim" very bleedin lucky. Not allowed to leave us yet, so don't do it again OK;).

ozwinner
18th February 2006, 11:10 PM
Listen, Al - mate. :D

This is getting serious and - as your friend and fellow woodie, Northerner and BB member - I feel it is incumbent upon me to try to help you get past this obsession you seem to be developing for that prune Max Bygraves.:eek:

Al - son - it's unhealthy. There's no other way to say it. Unhealthy.:(

There hasn't been a sane adult person in the entire known world in the past 40 years who has considered Max Bygraves to be anything other than a blot on the escutcheon of show business. Other, that is, than those who consider him to be naught but a pimple on the buttocks of the entertainment world.

Yet here you are, displaying photos of this eternally cheerful prat on the hallowed pages of this much-loved BB. :eek:

Al, you need to step into the Hall of Mirrors and take a long, hard look at yourself, son. This obsession - this unhealthy fascination - must end before it's too late.

There's probably a worthwhile self-help group somewhere called Prunes Anonymous or something equally appropriate, to help you and fellow sufferers to shake themselves of this urge to perpetuate memories of (shudder!) Maxie Boy. Find this group, Al and join it before it's too late.

Your mate

Col :p

I read all of that with a Mancuniun accent.. :D
Long live Max.....:p

Al :p

Driver
18th February 2006, 11:11 PM
But it was all written with a Scouse accent! :rolleyes:

ozwinner
18th February 2006, 11:15 PM
Type it in here (http://babelfish.altavista.com/), see if it still sounds the same..

Auld Bassoon
18th February 2006, 11:26 PM
Type it in here (http://babelfish.altavista.com/), see if it still sounds the same..

een welke lading van bollocks! :D :D :D

craigb
18th February 2006, 11:33 PM
Other, that is, than those who consider him to be naught but a pimple on the buttocks of the entertainment world.

No, I'm sorry Col, I have to pull you up there.

Surely it should read "nowt but pimple on boom" ;)

Driver
19th February 2006, 10:22 AM
No, I'm sorry Col, I have to pull you up there.

Surely it should read "nowt but pimple on boom" ;)

In Yorkshire - possibly. Where I come from, as any Liverpudlian will tell you, people pronounce the words as they are spelt. :p

Sturdee
19th February 2006, 11:02 AM
een welke lading van bollocks! :D :D :D

What kind of double dutch is that Steve :confused: for it isn't Dutch. :D :D :D

Maybe it is Afrikaans.:p

Peter.

Auld Bassoon
19th February 2006, 08:53 PM
What kind of double dutch is that Steve :confused: for it isn't Dutch. :D :D :D

Maybe it is Afrikaans.:p

Peter.

Hi Peter!

AltaVista's BabelFish version of a now deleted ( :confused: ) post, courtesy Al :D - probably offshored to the subcontinent for translation :D :D :D

Cheers!

ozwinner
19th February 2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Peter!

AltaVista's BabelFish version of a now deleted ( :confused: ) post, courtesy Al :D - probably offshored to the subcontinent for translation :D :D :D

Cheers!

Not I.

Al :confused: