PDA

View Full Version : Zoot Boxes

Zoot
20th February 2006, 05:48 PM
As promised I have now taken some photgraphs of my first boxes ... I did say first boxes, so be kind to me!!

I will put the next lot of photos in a separate post.

Cheers,

Zoot Esq.

Zoot
20th February 2006, 05:51 PM
These are boxes 2 & 3 ... I still have to fit hinges to box 3, but am still trying to sourse some decent brass hinges.

Cheers,

Zoot Esq.

echnidna
20th February 2006, 05:52 PM
Are they for keeping a Zoot Suit in:rolleyes:

Nice work

Zoot
20th February 2006, 05:54 PM

Nice work

Most definitely YES ... I have various size Zoot Zuits, hence the different size boxes!!

Cheers,
Zoot Esq.

Auld Bassoon
20th February 2006, 05:54 PM
G'day Zoot!

Nice jobhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif Do the two "twinned" boxes engage with the top and bottom - hard to tell from the photo?

What wood was used, and which jig (or hand cut, even:) ) for the D/Ts?

Cheers!

BTW, an easily recognisable object alongside helps with scale.

Auld Bassoon
20th February 2006, 05:55 PM
Box three is very nice - I like the variation on the standard D/T themehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Zoot
20th February 2006, 06:00 PM
G'day Zoot!

Nice jobhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif Do the two "twinned" boxes engage with the top and bottom - hard to tell from the photo?

What wood was used, and which jig (or hand cut, even:) ) for the D/Ts?

Cheers!

BTW, an easily recognisable object alongside helps with scale.

The 2 twinned boxes only fit at the top and I have made it so that they have to be in the correct position so that the grain lines up or the lid won't fit on.

These are boxes that I made to the Sturt Summer School with Roger Gifkins ... hence they are Gifkins jig boxes ... the wood is a bit of a mixture, but 1 & 2 are predominently New Guinea Rosewood with a piece of Mulga on the top of box 1. Box 3 is Red Cedar with Gidgee panels and a bit of huon pine for the feature strip.

Sorry about the scale ... I am going to but one of those tiny match boxes that you use when taking photos of your fish catch!!

Cheers,

Zoot

zenwood
21st February 2006, 05:14 PM
Really nice boxes, Zoot. Lots of interesting details in the design, and they must be fun to own.

niki
21st February 2006, 05:20 PM
G’day Zoot

Those are not boxes, those are ART.

Well, if I cannot make them, at least I can admire them.

Thanks for sharing
niki

cellist
21st February 2006, 05:54 PM

Nice work
Only if it has a reet pleat!
Mike

Max Ripper
22nd February 2006, 12:23 PM
Magic boxes man, (at last a dufftale) Please tell me yah didn't use a jig.

Max Ripper - He Didn't did he?

DPB
22nd February 2006, 05:15 PM
I like the boxes and the way the grain runs continuously from one box to the next.:)

As you state, it's difficult to tell the scale. The last box looks like the walls of the box are a little on the thick side -19mm?

Can you elaborate on the design process?

Zoot
24th February 2006, 03:37 PM
I like the boxes and the way the grain runs continuously from one box to the next.:)

As you state, it's difficult to tell the scale. The last box looks like the walls of the box are a little on the thick side -19mm?

Can you elaborate on the design process?

Don,

I will try and take some additional photos with a scale, because the box is only 150mm square and all made from 8mm stuff, except the slip liner which is 3mm!

The main box is 8mm red cedar and both the top and bottom have a red cedar mitred frame, with the huon pine feature strip tongue and grooved in 5mm, then cut to the required width and a 2mm groove put in the combined frame strip and the centre panel cut to size and a radiused panel raiser bit used to form the tongue. The top and bottom, once made up and sanded are then rebated 3mm to fit neatly onto the carcase, top and bottom. The whole box was sanded up to 8000 grit using Micro Mesh. The gidgee feature panels were absolutely shining when finished and I just coated the whole box with Organoil Danish ... I am very happy with it and ... it feels good!!

Cheers,

Zoot