PDA

View Full Version : Marine Ply vs Structural Ply

bitingmidge
20th February 2006, 09:55 PM
One of those old arguments that keeps bobbing up, is the one where the "expert" will tell you that the glue's the same and it's ok to use Marine Ply for your boat.

By and large it probably is, but marine grade ply doesn't have any voids, or shouldn't have, unlike structural ply which MAY!!

For those who say that I'm not correct.... This afternoon as the sun was setting slowly in the west, one of the puddleducks (structural grade ply) was sitting on it's side. Let's just say, the sun shining through two layers of .0.5mm Karri veneer looks for all the world like a laser light.

Sort of tear on the dotted line really, and it's almost exactly the lines between which we are going to build the centreboard. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bar the fortuitous discovery, it may well have been tears before bedtime!

So next time someone tells you that structural ply is the same... nod politely and smile knowingly, while making a mental note not to go too far from shore in his boat!

cheers,

P ;)

Max Ripper
20th February 2006, 10:21 PM
http://www.coateshomecentre.com.au/tips_tricks/tip_about_plywood.htm Yah never know.

Wood Butcher
20th February 2006, 10:31 PM
"Yah never know" what???

Daddles
20th February 2006, 11:14 PM
I'm sorry Midge. Having bought Gaboon ply from someone you know well (who was mortifed by the crap I was supplied with I might add, and helped me get replacement ply), that had both surface voids AND interior voids (yes, even the replacement ply had interior voids), I'm wary about trusting the AS stamps which the crap gaboon HAD. I'm happy to accept that good gaboon is good stuff, but you have to be very careful about what you pay for. Dunno what the answer is, but I've never been burnt by Hoop Pine and the $20 a sheet pacific maple exterior I bought for the mouseboats was better than the $120 a sheet gaboon I bought.

NEVER buy ply when you can't select from the stack.

Grrrr. Guess I'm still smarting from that experience:(

Richard

bitingmidge
20th February 2006, 11:50 PM
"Yah never know" what???

Well the coateshomecentre link did list exterior ply as "not for structural purposes", I guess you have to read between the lines.

Daddles old son, I hear you, and have a bit of gaboon m'self that's 9 years old with a similar void (it's on the deck of the canoe as we speak). These days I know better and if I'd paid for Marine Grade ply of any description and found voids, I'd be demanding a refund or exchange, whether I'd cut the sheet up or not.

My point is (and usually is) that exterior grade ply can be EXPECTED to have voids, marine grade SHOULD NOT.

I'm going to use Gaboon in the rowboat, 6mm at a bit more than $50.00 per sheet from Mister Ply and Wood (while they last). It may be another dodgy batch, but time will tell.

Who knows, I may get to post another picture here.;)
Cheers,

P

Daddles
21st February 2006, 12:12 AM
If you can get it for $50 a sheet, order four extra sheets and send them to me. I'm serious. I'll even pay you back:eek:

Richard

bitingmidge
21st February 2006, 08:05 AM
If you can get it for $50 a sheet, order four extra sheets and send them to me. I'm serious. I'll even pay you back:eek:

:D :D :D

Mister Ply&Wood (http://www.misterplywood.com.au/flash/home.asp)

Sharp Plywood in Brisbane have 4mm @ $40.00 per sheet at the moment as well.

Both say marine grade gaboon is cheaper than hoop at the moment.

Must be a crook batch full of voids that they bought at an auction in New Delhi??

Cheers,

P;)

Daddles
21st February 2006, 04:48 PM
:D :D :D

Must be a crook batch full of voids that they bought at an auction in New Delhi??

At that price, you can afford to fill the voids with poxy ;)

Richard

Wood Butcher
21st February 2006, 07:09 PM
$50 bucks , their website lists 6mm Gaboon at $123 a sheet :eek::eek:

Boatmik
22nd February 2006, 01:27 AM

Richard

Are you asking him to buy them and ME to bring them back to 'delaide on the plane next week?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

MIK

Daddles
22nd February 2006, 08:29 AM
Are you asking him to buy them and ME to bring them back to 'delaide on the plane next week?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

MIK

Awww Miiiiiikkkkkk. You mean you wouldn't?

What I meant was, if practical, when he makes his order, make a seperate order to be delivered to me, especially as there now seems to be some confusion about pricing. Either way, I'm keen to get started and cheap ply is good considering my finances. Having the designer on hand when the stuff's ordered probably isn't a bad idea either :rolleyes: We're probably in PM territory now eh?

Cheers
Richard

Gordo78
23rd May 2006, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty new to this, but where is Gaboon listed on the website? I can find marine ply - cedar, marine and seaply?

I'm thinking about building a Eureka with it.

Boatmik
23rd May 2006, 01:44 PM
Google marine timbers in the Australia Google - I think there is an outlet at Pt Stephens. Also ring round the plywood suppliers - gaboon is starting to be more available now. quality can vary as can price so it is worth having a look before you buy if possible.

the faces should be pretty good.
There should be no visible voids in the edges of the sheets

Michael

Actually - here one is.

Drascombe Wooden Boats Port Stephens, NSW Tel. 02 4982 6260

Gordo78
23rd May 2006, 03:13 PM
thanks, do you know if it's on the mrply&wood website? I can't seem to find it. I can get to their Hornsby and Newcastle stores