PDA

View Full Version : Antler turning

garliss
21st February 2006, 05:18 AM
I have several antlers but am unsure what to use or how the best way to turn them, any suggestions

Babytoolman
21st February 2006, 11:40 AM
turning them into pens is a great way to use them. Have you turned pens before? Post a pic once you have done one.

Roger

garliss
21st February 2006, 09:57 PM
Yes i have turned pens but not Antlers. No, i don't know how to do them can you help.

China
21st February 2006, 10:50 PM
youcan turn antler, you have to make sure it's solid all the way through other wise when you hit the honeycomb like part it will just disintergrate before your eyes

westpest
22nd February 2006, 05:22 AM
I have several antlers but am unsure what to use or how the best way to turn them, any suggestions

Visit Penturners.org there are a great many references to turning pens from antlers

Dan

fxst
22nd February 2006, 07:12 PM
A question for our resident penturning expert I think:D
I seem to recall Darley has turned them so a search on that topic in this sub-forum may help
Pete

bdar
22nd February 2006, 09:36 PM
If I remember correctly Whitetail antler is one of the best if you want solid antler. With antler that has the honeycomb centre if you cut into this use CA to stabilise so it won't break away. Darley has done some nice antler pens. Also look at www.thepenshop.net (http://www.thepenshop.net) RTJW supplies and turns antler on the IAP site search under antler and you will find some good articles.