PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Chisels

sinjin1111
21st February 2006, 11:45 AM
Hi guys does anyone know apart from Carba tec and MIK that might be bringing in Japanese chisels?
Sinjin

Dan
21st February 2006, 09:08 PM
I got a couple from Timbecon.

Bodgy
21st February 2006, 09:17 PM
I bought a swag in Japan. They are beautiful tools. The Jap stores offer E Commerce, but only in Jap.

Suggest you smooze a Jap speaker (reader) and get them to surf the sites. They may well ship internationally.

Google: Tokyu Hands, for a start.

MajorPanic
21st February 2006, 09:30 PM
Try Japanwoodworker (http://www.japanwoodworker.com)they have a fantastic range to chose from.

I have a full set of Japanese chisels I was lucky to get in Aust but I've bought from them before & they are great!

Bodgy
21st February 2006, 09:45 PM
Try Japanwoodworker (http://www.japanwoodworker.com)they have a fantastic range to chose from.

I have a full set of Japanese chisels I was lucky to get in Aust but I've bought from them before & they are great!

Just looked at the site, they have some great stuff.

However, the prices seem to be around 3x what they cost in Japan. So if you can negotiate the language barrier, even with freight, go that route.

Example; they are featuring some chisels @ $US38. Mine cost me around $AUD12 in Sapporo.

ian
22nd February 2006, 12:33 AM
Hi guys does anyone know apart from Carba tec and MIK that might be bringing in Japanese chisels?
SinjinI assume you've already investigated importing Japanese tools via the States. I've used www.japanwoodworker.com (http://www.japanwoodworker.com) in the past and have only heard very positive comments about www.japanesetools.com (http://www.japanesetools.com) and there are others with equally good reputations.
Going this route you essentailly paying a Yank to handle the language translation.

Another option is to get pally with one of the expats liking in Japan who post here from time to time and order through them.

Lastly, some years ago there was a Japanese cabinet maker working in Manly who was selling small numbers of Jap planes and chisels as a side line. Probably little help to a Melbournite

As in most things Japanese, I find the bigest problem is understanding the relationship between quality, prestige and price. Just because a tool costs 5 times as much doesn't necessarily mean it is superior, it might just be an indication of the status of the maker

ian

sinjin1111
22nd February 2006, 07:03 AM
I started buying Japanese chisels a little over 20 yrs ago. The first place i bought them was from a very small shop in Through Rd Burwood in Vic. I then started getting them from a guy in Tasmania. And maybe one or two from Dugco.
I have a 65mm wide chisel which is without doubt my favourite tool. And i would like to maybe get hold of a slick and perhaps couple of ther deep Mortice chisels. Anyway thanks for the added advice about getting direct from Japan.
As i haven't bought any for about 8 yrs i'm a bit lost as to know what is a good brand without paying heaps. i don't want top line as i seriously want to use them not just admire them and alot of what i do seems to be hardwork as well. ..Not that i always want just ends up that way.
I was checking a 200 x 50 Vic ash beam into some 150 sq Red gum posts a couple of weekends ago. The carpenters i was Sort of woking with hadn't seen tools like i had. I bull&&&&ed in some of the most perfect joints in situe..So when i start hammering away with these chisels it kind of surprised them greatly at first They just wanted to go the nail gun...All i said was in yr dreams! I'll do it just give me an hour i'll have them done.
This perfectly straight dressed VIC ash beam fitted so perfect into 5 posts ..Just one of those days when things go right i guess. Absolute &&&& really...but i was happy.

ian
22nd February 2006, 08:43 PM
Given your example you may want to consider getting what Japan Woodworker calls timber framing chisels.

Schtoo
23rd February 2006, 01:04 AM
Some (ALL!!!) of those prices are hideously painful.

Sinjin, if you can tell me what you want, in what sizes by tomorrow morning, I'll see what they are going for at the local tool shop. I gotta drive past it tomorrow anyways, so it won't hurt to drop in and see what they got. No special names, no wonderful spirits slaughtered to make them, just the tools the local guys buy.

(I think they have a 50mm slick for about $70 or so there, if that helps.)

If not tomorrow, then take yer time.

(BTW, if you want something truly terrifying and have a spare $75 or so, I can send you a Japanese pattern chisel in HSS. They are the next chisels I will buy, as opposed to make...)

ian
23rd February 2006, 11:25 PM
Schtoo
So what would 3 HSS Japanese carpenter's chisels (covering a useful range of sizes) cost in yen?
Ditto for what Japan Woodworker calls "post and beam chisels" in say 3 useful sizes

Schtoo
24th February 2006, 02:18 AM
JWW calls them different to what they read on Japanese. They read as 'hole-roof-chisel' as a literal translation (I read the stuff in English, wacky but it works for me), and a set of 3 is Y42,210.

The HSS things, I know htey have a 'thin', a 'thick' and a 'medium'. Translates roughly as Bevel edge, mortise and bench I guess. No sets that I can see, but they are from Y4,740 to Y12,750, 3mm to 48mm and that covers all types, all sizes. No details as the clikc through link doesn't work.

No affiliation with that place (and to be honest, doesn't look reliable to me), but I know they can be found without too much trouble.

Heck, the local version of Bunnies has them on the shelf for $50-70 each. Not like they are hard to find. ;)

If I find better links, I'll let you know. Nothing decent so far though. :(