PDA

View Full Version : entusiastic parents.

ss_11000
24th February 2006, 05:51 PM
hey guys,

i've got my parents into turning:D and was wondering what should they make to learn the basics? ( they want to make things not just do exercises)

i was thinking: mini baseball bat, toilet roll holder, pen.

what else is good for beginers?

dad tried a mini bat the other day and it turned out alright.:D

mums gonna try it shortly.

RETIRED
24th February 2006, 08:55 PM
I have been watching your posts with a great deal of interest.

Enthusiasm is fantastic and I don't mean to rain on your parade but I have a few questions for you:

Have you ever had lessons besides school? Of the 30 -40 normal woodwork teachers (that I have seen) who teach turning only one was a turner. George Hatfield. Most do not know how to turn.

Are you confident and qualified enough to teach someone proper techniques safely?

Have you had lessons from a turner? Not one who scratches at the timber but who cuts it cleanly with the minimum of sanding.

The advice that you got to join a club is probably the best advice given. Now you parents can join as well.

As I said I don't mean to put a dampener on you but good techniques have to be learnt from someone who knows the craft and practised ad infinitum.

RufflyRustic
24th February 2006, 09:13 PM
And I'm sure we'd all like to see you keep posting on the forum with all your fingers intact, and your Mum's and Dad's fingers for that matter.

(replace fingers with any other body part, eg eyes, as you see fit).

Cheers
RufflyRustic
______

Good lessons are worth the time!!

Groggy
24th February 2006, 09:23 PM
Maybe some fellow Cessnock-ians (!) could provide some local info to help out. Turning clubs? Any knowledgeable turners teaching near there?

ss_11000
24th February 2006, 09:32 PM
I have been watching your posts with a great deal of interest.

Enthusiasm is fantastic and I don't mean to rain on your parade but I have a few questions for you:

Have you ever had lessons besides school? Of the 30 -40 normal woodwork teachers (that I have seen) who teach turning only one was a turner. George Hatfield. Most do not know how to turn.

Are you confident and qualified enough to teach someone proper techniques safely?

Have you had lessons from a turner? Not one who scratches at the timber but who cuts it cleanly with the minimum of sanding.

The advice that you got to join a club is probably the best advice given. Now you parents can join as well.

As I said I don't mean to put a dampener on you but good techniques have to be learnt from someone who knows the craft and practised ad infinitum.

i've been tought by a very very good turner and i'm only teaching them the basics untill i get more lessons. at skool we covered safety a lot. confidence has never been a problem for me so i've got the confidence for them.but as i sed i don't want to teach em something wrong so the basics are enough for them now.(especially seeing as though they cant turn much- cos i'm always there:D )

i will be joining up at a club soon.

thanx for the support

Ashore
24th February 2006, 09:42 PM
Have a look here
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=newcastle+woodturners&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Also there is a group that meet at wallsend high school one night a month I think :rolleyes: Call the school to find out

Wood Butcher
24th February 2006, 09:52 PM
Will I fully agree with , can I also suggest getting some of the video/DVD's of woodturning basics. My local library has a few and they are great to watch to get extra hints and tips and also to see some different ways of doing the same things.

PS When are we going to see some of your work??:D

ss_11000
24th February 2006, 10:08 PM
Will I fully agree with , can I also suggest getting some of the video/DVD's of woodturning basics. My local library has a few and they are great to watch to get extra hints and tips and also to see some different ways of doing the same things.

PS When are we going to see some of your work??:D

i'll go to the library in the next week or so

you'll see some of my work if you come to cessnock or i figure out how to reduce the fotos from 1mb to 100 kb:D i'll ask mum and try to get them up on sunday as i'm in taree tomorrow

Wood Butcher
24th February 2006, 10:17 PM
To reduce photos try JpegCompress (http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com/products/jpegcompress/) its free. It is highly recommended by a lot of members here. I personally use Adobe Photoshop but it costs a lot of money. If you do a search here you will find lots of advice for minimizing photos for posting.

boban
24th February 2006, 10:27 PM
confidence has never been a problem for me

Ahh...memories of my youth.........all I lost was the tip of my finger.....oh and a bit of confidence.:o

Hickory
25th February 2006, 02:47 AM
In your other post where you asked of advise for a Goblet, I mentioned several thing you should do and these hold true for your parents as well: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=271520&postcount=8 Jump over there and read the info.

I agree with several of the other fellows, You need to concern yourself with all the safety rules and practices, as well as the basic techniques. A good lesson in book reading will help a lot. Most of the books on turning are too broad or too specific for a certain aspect . There are several older publications that you should still be able to find such as "Woodturning Visualized" by Ross Cramlet. He showes the proper techniques of each basic tool. When practicing from a book,don't try to ingest it all and then jump onto a lathe. Take each segment and practice what he says, sort of as a series of lessons.

Perhaps this is something you as a Family can work together on. At your age, you are still a student as well, so you can learn from the experience to become an accomplished turner.

As for projects, (after completing exercises) One of the first projects I used to have student make, was a Mallot. You will need a mallot from time to time when doing turning so why not make a useful tool, each tme you use it you will remember the experience and call to mind the processes and techniques you encountered.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/Mallottop.jpg

This is a simple task, yet quite nice. Turn the barrel head, Turn a handle to fit your hand and along with the dimensions of comercial hammers and such. whith this one I bored a hole through the head (the diameter of the tenon I turned on the handle). Sawed a slot in the tenon and drove in a Wedge to tighten. Notice the orentation of the grain of the wood to the face and to the wedge, this is important to prevent spliting.

Like I said before, Contact me with any questions and I will do my best to help.

ss_11000
25th February 2006, 09:41 AM
Have a look here
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=newcastle+woodturners&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Also there is a group that meet at wallsend high school one night a month I think :rolleyes: Call the school to find out

found woodturners of the hunter there
but i cant join up cos they're junior members have to be over 15
i know cos i already tried

woodbe
25th February 2006, 09:54 AM
So, join the parents up! :)

Salty
25th February 2006, 10:26 AM
Stirlo's right our Club - Woodturners of the Hunter with our fantastic Clubhouse,Workshop, Shop and Library at the Newcastle Showgrounds (Not wallsend school) , are unable to accept membership from juniors until they attain the age of 15years. I have spoken to Stirlo regarding this problem which prevents one of the keenest turners on this board becoming a member!:mad: Perhaps one way around it Stirlo is for one of your parents to become a member and you can accompany them to club activities like lectures and demo's, get access to the library and shop via them etc. The only thing you would not be able to do is to participate in workshop activities until you are 15. Give me a call if you think it's a goer. Come down to the Club and have a look too - there will be someone there who can sweet talk your parents into joining!:D

Cheers
Salty

Hickory
25th February 2006, 11:14 AM
Sounds like a good deal Stirlo. I'd go for it. You can learn as much and the try out the activities when you get home. Great family outing, etc. Family that turns together learns together.

dazzler
25th February 2006, 11:14 AM
HI SS1100

This is great to see your interest in woodturning.

Sounds like youve got a great teacher and enthusiasm to match. I was lucky to have a good wood teacher who taught me to turn and I won a few trophies and stuff while at school.

We really need to value inspired teachers.:)

My advice is to grab this teacher and learn as much as you can.

Go for it. Chicks dig scars anyway:D .

dazzler

Wood Butcher
25th February 2006, 11:20 AM
Stirlo's right our Club - Woodturners of the Hunter with our fantastic Clubhouse,Workshop, Shop and Library at the Newcastle Showgrounds (Not wallsend school) , are unable to accept membership from juniors until they attain the age of 15years. I have spoken to Stirlo regarding this problem which prevents one of the keenest turners on this board becoming a member!:mad: Perhaps one way around it Stirlo is for one of your parents to become a member and you can accompany them to club activities like lectures and demo's, get access to the library and shop via them etc. The only thing you would not be able to do is to participate in workshop activities until you are 15. Give me a call if you think it's a goer. Come down to the Club and have a look too - there will be someone there who can sweet talk your parents into joining!:D

Cheers
Salty

The amateur WW group that I used to be a menber of before I moved had the ability to recruit "junior members". There was a clause in the club constitution that allowed members under the age of 16 for insurance reason at workshops etc, but did not allow them any voting rights in meetings. It might be worth thinking of this to allow younger members of the community to join. (including Stirlo!!)

jmk89
25th February 2006, 11:21 AM
Why doesn't woodturners of the Hunter let anyone over 12 join ? After all, from that time on guys can access woddturning machines at school.

I suppose you are going to say that it has something to do with insurance. :mad: As a lawyer, I'm not going to say "don't adhere to your policy restrictions", but as someone who has many hobbies because I was able to try them and enjoyed them as a kid, I think there should be a way for Stirlo to get involved at a practical level.

I wonder how the Scouts are able to do the things they do (or at least used to) - perhaps they could tell you how they arrange things so that the 15 yo limitation could be lowered.

Nuggett
25th February 2006, 11:30 AM
My two cents worth. Have a look at Mike Darlows DVD & Keith Rowley Book,I think it's called "The fundamentals of turning" Excellent book

Lignum
25th February 2006, 12:33 PM
Things might be starting to change. The Fedral government is trying to get kids back into trades and im not sure if its been passed yet but will be, but school kids from the age of 16 will be able to access all machines under supervision, that includes panel saws, jointers etc. So maybe their will be a flow on into clubs that under the correct supervision will allow 12 year olds access.

dazzler
25th February 2006, 01:27 PM
My two cents worth. Have a look at Mike Darlows DVD & Keith Rowley Book,I think it's called "The fundamentals of turning" Excellent book

Particularly if you are having trouble sleeping;)

" The angle of the hypotonuse of the hyperdermic contacts the bevel at the axis of the circumferance of the median" sssssssssssssssssssssss:p

ubeaut
25th February 2006, 01:58 PM
Pretty sure there is a club at Cessnock or near there that was split off from Hunter a few years ago. They probably won't take juniors either but maybe there is a turner or two who might like to take you under their wing. No harm in asking.

I owned and ran a school of woodcrafts for many years and used to bend the rules to let juniors in who were genuinely enthusiastic and really wanted to learn. The catch was that either dad or mum had to also attend and learn the same thing.

It worked well. Maybe if you approach the clubs with a proposition that dad or mum also become members and accompany you to all meetings, classes, etc and they are prepared take full responsibility for your actions, etc. Then one of the clubs might just consider you. You might even ask if they would do it for a trial period or 6 mth. Maybe your parents might also have to look at getting you a separate private insurance or signing a waiver, so the club cannot be sued or held responsible if you have an accident.

18 years of running classes in turning, carving, general woodwork, finishing etc taught me 1 thing. 99.98% of injuries occur to children under the age of 16. 99.5% of the really hard teaching work is with children under the age of 15 and about 90% of all bad smells in a class room come from children under the age of 15 especially if the class is right after school.

Cheers - Neil :)

PS Doesn't matter where or how, get yourself some classes or some good videos to watch on the subject. Most libraries have or have access to Taunting Press (fine Woodworking) videos. There are a number of really good ones, Richard Raffan, Dell Stubbs are a couple that sprig to mind immediately. Also Mike Darlow's video as mentioned by Nuggett. Much easier to learn from watching vid than book.

You will also need to learn to take instruction and observe exactly what you see, not what you think you see or your interpretation of what you see.

Wood Butcher
25th February 2006, 02:17 PM
Particularly if you are having trouble sleeping;)
:p

Have to agree with you on that one. Mike Darlow is a great turner but as the most monotinous(sp?) voice. One of those cases where you wished there was a voice over narration!:o

ss_11000
25th February 2006, 07:21 PM
Pretty sure there is a club at Cessnock .

there is a cessnock club. they come to my school during sport in terms two and three and teach people to turn.

i think they have a limit of 5 on there junior members... i was told that by a member but next term (or sooner hopefully- my teacher moved and changed fone numbers(i think )) i'll see whats happening and try to join. or get mum and dad to anyway.

ss_11000
25th February 2006, 07:22 PM

i've currently got 2 of his books (second month in arow) from the library, and i'll go down again one day and look for videos

btw great books

Salty
26th February 2006, 09:12 AM
Stirlo,
give me a call - I've got all the contacts for the cessnock Club too. send me a pm if you've lost my number

Salty

Salty
26th February 2006, 09:37 AM
Why doesn't woodturners of the Hunter let anyone over 12 join ? After all, from that time on guys can access woddturning machines at school.

I suppose you are going to say that it has something to do with insurance. :mad: As a lawyer, I'm not going to say "don't adhere to your policy restrictions", but as someone who has many hobbies because I was able to try them and enjoyed them as a kid, I think there should be a way for Stirlo to get involved at a practical level.

I wonder how the Scouts are able to do the things they do (or at least used to) - perhaps they could tell you how they arrange things so that the 15 yo limitation could be lowered.
Well as a lawyer JMK89 you will be familiar with the increase in litigation from all in sundry which leaves the Club exposed to litigation by its members and others. Yes we can insure against some of that liability but even now over half the income from our subs goes toward insurance!!:mad: In addition to that with "underage" members each of the instructors ( and probably all the members too) would need to have police checks for pedophilia etc - something which the scouts must do for ALL their instructors and all of their members are young so setting up the strategies is necessary and all encompassing. For our Club the majority of our members are "over-age" :p Any suggestion that we live in a Ninny State may be quite justified but we've got to (as a Club) exercise sensible care so as not to expose the Club to unreasonable risk. Nevertheless I think the suggestion I made to have Stirlo's parents join the Club will at least get him involved in the Club and give him access to the library, shop and lectures and demo's - the 1 on 1 practical instruction can be done by the school ( or perhaps one of our members who wants to take Stirlo under their wing with Stirlo's parents knowledge and permission).
If there are any other Clubs out there who have overcome the same problem please offer some advice - it will be appreciated!

Salty

Wood Butcher
26th February 2006, 10:01 AM
I never thought about the Blue Card. I left the old club before the card was a major deal! I even have to have one for doing prac teaching as a uni student. The only way around that is to have Stirlo's parents join and have them there at the same time as him.

ss_11000
26th February 2006, 05:42 PM
The only way around that is to have Stirlo's parents join and have them there at the same time as him.

i'm enquirying about cessnock club...cheers salty...and if i cant join i'll get mum or dad to.....if they agree

ss_11000
26th February 2006, 06:16 PM
i'm enquirying about cessnock club...cheers salty...and if i cant join i'll get mum or dad to.....if they agree

they have a 5 juniors limit (and wat do u no its full) and the secretary said that she'll post out an application form and she'll try to get me and another bloke at school in (he applied b4 me).when ever some one drops out or they're allowed to expand that number

oh well:D

Happy amateur
27th February 2006, 07:33 AM
Stirlo and all

There is a new DVD set on the market in the UK.
It is "Turn it On" by Jimmy Clewes.
It is one of the best instructional dvds that I have seen.
The camera work is superb as is his North country humour.
He has demonstrated at our club and the dvds are as good if not better

You can order from www.avanticom.co.uk (http://www.avanticom.co.uk)

It is also advertised in "woodturning" magazine

Fred

DPB
27th February 2006, 08:37 AM
Stirlo and all

There is a new DVD set on the market in the UK.
It is "Turn it On" by Jimmy Clewes.
It is one of the best instructional dvds that I have seen.
The camera work is superb as is his North country humour.
He has demonstrated at our club and the dvds are as good if not better

You can order from www.avanticom.co.uk (http://www.avanticom.co.uk)

It is also advertised in "woodturning" magazine

Fred

:mad: Cost of three set DVD is AU$118.00.:mad:

ss_11000
28th February 2006, 03:17 PM
:mad: Cost of three set DVD is AU$118.00.:mad:

thats more than i can afford right now.:(

oh well

hughie
1st March 2006, 12:42 AM
Stirlo, Have a look at this site, the books are dirt cheap. I have just ordered a book by Richard Raffan on Bowl design 8USD + 7USD postage elsewhere they are 25-40 + postage

http://www.bookcloseouts.com/default.asp?N=0

hughie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st March 2006, 02:36 AM
they have a 5 juniors limit (and wat do u no its full) and the secretary said that she'll post out an application form and she'll try to get me and another bloke at school in (he applied b4 me).when ever some one drops out or they're allowed to expand that number

I don't s'pose you can get around that by conning... errrmmm... "persuading" one of your parents to join and take you along as a guest until a vacancy comes up?

That's how we got around the limit at our lapidary club, which was imposed by the terms of the insurance. :rolleyes:

ss_11000
1st March 2006, 07:20 AM
my parents are in need of much pursuasion, they sed they havn't got enough time especially in winter (we like basically live at hockey then.) ............................................................................................................so now i got to try to find some other way around it.