PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Working Out a Price Please

R12chard
24th February 2006, 10:12 PM
Dear one and all, I hope everyone is well.

I have recently been introduced to a lady who makes Bronzes, who requires some bases made. I have made one so she can see the quality and she loves it and wants me to make more. The one I have made is a little over 1" deep and a little over 12" round, made of ash and stained with Jacobean oak stain. She wants me to work out a price for each, bearing in mind that she will commision 5 or 6 at a time, some bigger bases to and some with the top exposed so nicer wood - yew, purple heart, puduca etc

Costs on first base
Wood £10
Workshop expenses (garage)
Time 2 - 3 hours all in.

how much should I charge?

I would be greatful for you opinions.

Regards

Ricahard

ss_11000
24th February 2006, 10:15 PM
20-25 pounds. if your one to charge lots- 40-70pounds

Greg Q
24th February 2006, 10:25 PM
Due respect, Stirlo, but you are way low on that estimate. I think 40 is a minimum, 70 more like it for three hours labour. (Even that's a give-away)

If you can get to the point where you are making one an hour then obviously your unit costs will come down.

Lignum
24th February 2006, 10:37 PM
Given £10 = aus $23 in materials, i would charge $118 for two hours and $165 for three hours, thats £49 and £69

Wood Butcher
24th February 2006, 10:38 PM
At my old job we always worked on at least 4 times the material cost and even more if we could get away with it. Richard, try approaching the client and asking what she would be prepared to pay for them.

ss_11000
25th February 2006, 09:26 AM
Due respect, Stirlo, but you are way low on that estimate. I think 40 is a minimum, 70 more like it for three hours labour. (Even that's a give-away)

If you can get to the point where you are making one an hour then obviously your unit costs will come down.

fair enough:D