PDA

View Full Version : latest silky oak restoration

womble
25th February 2006, 06:37 PM
an old dressing table from ipswich, it had several coats of paint on it which had to be stripped off. It's had a hard life, the legs are dinged on the edges a lot from brooms and mops over the decades and there's a few stains/watermarks on the top which I couldn't get out but they add character anyway! I like this one a lot, a simple piece but attractive.

Clinton1
25th February 2006, 07:33 PM
Nice - simple lines.
Good one.

ozwinner
25th February 2006, 10:14 PM
Silky is nice to work with, I like the grain, but the grain can be too busy sometimes on large pieces.

Al :)

rsser
27th February 2006, 12:11 PM
Nicely done.

namtrak
27th February 2006, 01:54 PM
Friends of ours from Atherton got given a house full of furniture (dressers, cupboards, tables, chairs etc) when they bought their house up there. About 5 years later they paid $700 to have it all stripped back and finished. I reckon they have about a dozen family heirlooms now!!

Stunning looking work.

boxers
4th March 2006, 07:19 PM
I like it a lot. Well done. The silky oak is a beautiful wood

ChasingRainbows
17th March 2006, 09:13 PM
S'cuse me I'm a none wood type person but is that grain common to silky oak or is it only the best pieces of timber that present it? Is that what is refered to as fiddleback grain?

ChasingRainbows
17th March 2006, 09:17 PM
Oh. And is silky oak a common timber? Where does it come from?

Carry Pine
18th March 2006, 09:43 AM
Oh. And is silky oak a common timber? Where does it come from?

There are a few varieties of the timber( grevillea robusta) depending where it is grown. It is now rare but has been planted in suburbs and back yards and occassionaly you read on these pages about someone who has a whole tree.
You may recognise it as the tree that has the yellowy orange flowers that come out at about the same time as jacarandas- quite stunning when a whole suburb is planted that way.
Hope you get to make something out of it some time.

womble
18th March 2006, 10:12 AM
[quote=ChasingRainbows]S'cuse me I'm a none wood type person but is that grain common to silky oak or is it only the best pieces of timber that present it? Is that what is refered to as fiddleback grain?[/q

All silky oak can have that grain if it's what is called 'quarter-cut' (not called fiddleback), where the rays of the timber are shown, but since cutting that way produces a bit of waste most silky oak was cut normally instead. The grain is plainer then, but I still like it as well.

rsser
18th March 2006, 02:51 PM
One of the authorities cites something like 12 species that go under the common name of silky oak.

There's plenty planted in parks and suburban gardens down here in Melbourne.

Auld Bassoon
18th March 2006, 06:38 PM
One of the authorities cites something like 12 species that go under the common name of silky oak.

There's plenty planted in parks and suburban gardens down here in Melbourne.

Hmmmm. Methinks I need a couple of ID photos of said species.

The strange noise in the middle of the night will be a furtive Auld Bassoon lopping off some stock with a chainsaw:eek: :D

Does anyone make a cordless electric chainsaw? :D :D :D :D

journeyman Mick
18th March 2006, 10:44 PM
From memory, there's a large Grevillea Robust in the Melbourne botanical gardens. While there's up to 12 species that may be called Silky Oak, generally only two are marketed as such: Grevillea Robusta (southern Silky Oak) and Cardwellia Sublimis (Northern Silky Oak). NSO is generally a bit of a deeper colour and has more striking medullary rays.

Mick (collector of Silky Oak:) )

Peter36
20th March 2006, 08:04 PM
Looks brand new.:)