PDA

View Full Version : Powered dust masks

Woodchuck2
7th December 2000, 01:23 PM
Opinions required please!
I am about to purchase a dust mask of the Purelite/Airlite/Dustmaster etc type.Although mainly for use with woodturning, I want to be able to use it when sanding furniture and various other dusty jobs in the workshop (small).I have a fairly good dust collection system for power tools but it doesn't keep the ambient stuff out of your nose.
What are the pro's and con's of the above products with respect to efficiency, comfort, convenience, initial cost and ongoing maintenance.
P.S. I do use a cartridge type mask but it's dam uncomfortable after a short time.
Cheers,
Woodchuck

------------------

RFNK
7th December 2000, 07:35 PM
I use the 3M/Racal type. It has three disadvantages; cost & cost & cost. I think these things are so ridiculously overpriced! Otherwise, it is comfortable, I got used to it very quickly and the batteries seem to hold a charge very well. I found the stick on visor sheet to be pretty useless as they just don't stick very well. When I first bought it I felt it was a bit heavy but I don't notice that at all now. It keeps your face nice and cool and it does seem to keep dust out.

AlexS
8th December 2000, 07:58 AM
I agree with the last post re the Racal Airlite. I find it comfortable & effective, but very pricey. Haven't had any problems with the stick-ons, as I'm still using the original after about 3 years.

To prevent damage to the visor, I bought a styrofoam head dummy (the type hairdressers display wigs on) at the markets and mounted it at the back of my bench. When I'm not using the mask it sits on the dummy.

Woodchuck2
8th December 2000, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the advice blokes and/or sheilas.I was wondering about the belt-mounted battery/filter type with the hose running up to the hood. Any ideas?
Woodchuck

------------------

Jeff
8th December 2000, 02:20 PM
I have a "power hood" made by 3M. It has the battery right in the hood. It is lightweight, comfortable and effective. And best of all it only cost me $160.00 american instead of $450.00 for the belt-mount-battery type. If you get this unit you will need to remember to charge it often as the battery is only good for four hours. If your budget affords get a second battery. The cover films actually work well with this unit. I have nothing but praise for this unit.

------------------
"Turning wood into treasures"

JackoH
8th December 2000, 04:03 PM
RFNK & Alex have hit the nail on the head. I have been using the Racal ( now 3 M ) for over a year and find it excellent. They said it all!
Remember ,as I said in an earlier post on this subject,"it may be expensive initially,but is cheaper than a new pair of lungs"!
John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

John Saxton
8th December 2000, 10:52 PM
I'm with all the Racal supporters that this is a godsend in preserving what lung capacity you may have left if you haven't already done so and think of your family, not only yourself in the future.
It does what it is mean't to do in that it provides a modicum of protection to you in the workshop and that is paramount.
It has a good system the battery giving ample usage with each re-charge,the filters capable of giving many hours of service and reasonably cheap to replace.
Personally I find it comfortable to wear and not a burden even after some hours of use.
Expensive it may be for what you appear to get but the bottom line is what price do you put on your health and and the protection this affords may just add more years of enjoyment with your family.
Sorry for going on so I speak from some experience.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

cliff cook
11th December 2000, 12:04 AM
I agree with the others about the racal system i have nothing but praise for the system, except in one area.That area is the price of replacement parts,i`ve worked mine pretty hard in the 5 years i`ve had it so when i dropped it and snapped off the the side strap i was pretty annoyde but not as annoyde as when they told me it would cost $60 plus $45 to send it as it was a small order.
I eventualy fixed it whith some tin and pop rivets.I still think it is a good idea pity about the price!!

Jim Carroll
12th December 2000, 12:07 AM
Chas I use the Racal Dustmaster and find it comfortable to use. The headpeice is light and you have all the rest of the workings sitting in the middle of your back. initially I was bumping into things but after a while you get used to it beign there, the only fault I have with it beign in this position is the after affects of a can of Baked Beans http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif

ubeaut
12th December 2000, 12:24 AM
Ahhhh .......... Charcoal filters. Great mate! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

philige
12th February 2002, 03:17 PM
just become a member hello to fellow dust mite's, been looking for masks myself and was sperred on to ring "3M" to find a supplier on the gold coast and was told by a very lovely sounding helful young lady that the AIRLITE 137 model is not avalable any more so the only option was the get this ($942.70, DM4 model) and as far as getting parts for the 137 model she wondered what all the owners will do after there serplus of parts runs out makes you wonder don't it!

niel.p
15th February 2002, 08:04 AM
For those who are interseted Bolle also put out a powered mask so i have found out and about half the price. Iam waiting for more info to arrive in the mail!

Iain
15th February 2002, 01:09 PM
I hope the Bolle optics on the mask are better than on their sunglasses.
Optically OK but regretably just acetate and scratch with no effort whatsoever.

Baz
15th February 2002, 09:23 PM
Hi Chas,
I have a DM4, had it for 10 years, great battery life ( I have just had my batteries repacked $90 better than $240 for a new battery). It doesn't take too long to get used to wearing it and it is a lot lighter than the airlite, pity about the price.
Cheers
Barry

Mik
20th February 2002, 03:27 PM
Hi guys,

I couldn't find any rules about commercial posts so I'm making one. If there are any guidelines please let me know!

We (Mik International) used to sell the gear mentioned above but now we just sell one personal respirator, which is the Trend Airshield. It's very good value ($499, inexpensive accessories)and does a good job. We sell a lot of them and the feedback is good. You can see detailed info at <a href=http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/airshield/airshield.shtml target=new>Trend web site-Airshield</a> and you can also see them at our web site <a href=http://www.mik.com.au target=new>www.mik.com.au</a>

Regards
Geordie
Mik International

philige
23rd February 2002, 07:36 PM
just picked up the purelite airsheild made by HELMET INTRGRATED SYSTEMS from my tool supplier yesterday, charged up the first battery for 24 hours done the sat morning thing with my better half then TO THE SHED. one of the best things i have ever brought can highly recemmend getting one. going to be very handy on the job site as well when cutting cement sheets and the like. cools you down a bit to. for less than $600 with 2 batterys most brands seem to be roughly the same price.

JackoH
5th March 2002, 10:42 AM
Further to all of the above. The latest Carbatec cattledog (2002,hot off the press)
lists spare parts for Purelight and Racal(sic) Airlight & Dustmaster face masks.
Hell of a price, bur there they are!
John H. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif

Jeff
19th March 2002, 06:03 PM
When you finally decide what hood you want, think about taking it one step further...I've seen several instances where a fresh air supply has been ducted into the shop, and from an overhead box a small and lightweight airhose is run down to the faceshield unit. This will allow for much longer life of the filter. Also, it will assure much cleaner air overall, as the filter air source is outside the dusty shop environment.