PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing rivets for knife-handles...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2006, 11:00 PM
I recently turned some red-gum handles for a set of knives, amongst which was included an icing knife. Cheaply made, the blade was simply held with a couple of pins into a slotted 25mm dowel. The blade itself is good steel though.

So, I made a good handle for it (matched in shape to the rest of the "set") but now comes the time to fasten things together... I thought of grinding a tang into the base but the steel isn't thick enough and the existing rivet holes would weaken it too much. So it looks like I'm stuck with rivetting it, which is my problem: I'm having a hell of a time sourcing anything suitable.

I've thought about using brake-shoe rivets, but I'd prefer something made of brass to compliment the red-gum.

Ideas anyone? Sources? :confused:

DanP
26th February 2006, 11:03 PM
Lee Valley. Hardware catalogue, page 208. 3 different sizes available.

Dan

Hickory
27th February 2006, 02:08 AM
Sounds to me like a piece of Brass Welding (Brazing ) rod might do the trick. Make it a bit longer than needed. Peen a head on one end, insert in drilled holes and peen a head and tighten the other side.

Or Leather supplies shops , Tack shops, Tandy Leather, Farm supply stores all carry Tack and repair rivets. (copper)

Wood Butcher
27th February 2006, 08:41 AM
Davro Assembly Products sell all tyoe of rivets including tinmans rivets. I don't know if they sell to public but they would be worth a try. Dad buys thousands of custom made rivets off them a year. (I believe they make them themselves!)
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/displayads/285/470619944_Y1192285_N00Y_26_2HS_01_96.gif
(http://www.yellowpages.com.au/displayads/285/470619944_Y1192285_N00Y_26_2HS_01_96.gif)

CameronPotter
27th February 2006, 09:13 AM
What you want is cutler's rivets.

Nice big looking things which are flat on the top with a press (that it hammer the #&&^ out of) fit.

See Australian Knifemaking Supplies in W.A.

Feel free to PM me (or simply ask here) for more information.

Cam

ps if you want very small rivets - brazing rod can work, but technically speaking, they are usually referred to as pins in knifemaking.

Andy Mac
27th February 2006, 11:32 AM
I just received a catalogue from AKC, and they list 4 different types of rivets for knife handles (3 screw types and 1 press fit 'cutlers rivet'). Try their website: www.knivesaustralia.com.au (http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au)

Cheers,

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th February 2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks to all for the help.

Cutler's rivets, eh? It always helps when one knows what they're called. :) Hopefully a catalogue from AKC will find its' way to my mailbox.

Thanks again!

Iain
27th February 2006, 10:11 PM
Saddle Up, Maroondah Hwy Ringwood, near the flotilla of car yards.
They should have the copper rivets and washers for saddlery repairs, I use heaps of them at about $30 a box, they should sell them as single units with the matching washer, not far from you.

reo
27th February 2006, 10:27 PM
Try a saddler, skew. Years ago, in a galaxy far, far away I was a jackeroo. Got into leatherwork. You can get copper or nickel plated rivets that screw into each other. These usually held the flaps of the saddle together and were located behind/underneath the thigh pads. We used to get 'em so when joined it was around 5/16" long. You could enquire about longer ones. Good luck.