PDA

View Full Version : TCT bit

BobL
27th February 2006, 12:47 AM
I'll ask the (stupid) question first, can I use a 19mm TCT bit in a router?

I drilled my first dog holes in my new workbench today using a brand new new TCT 19 mm bit. It's the first time I've ever used a TCT bit and although it cut the 70mm hole in the jarrah somewhat easier than a spade bit, I was disappointed in the way the hole wandered off vertical. (Yeah, I know I should have drilled the holes before I put the bench together). I was holding the drill vertically up against a vertically clamped corner made of 2 MDF boards which was vertical according to my spirit level. Anyway the bit wandered off to my left by about 3mm over a hole depth of 70 mm. The second hole was slightly better but still maybe 2 mm off centre.

So, my next route is plunge routing and rather the fork out $$ for a 19 mm router bit I wondered if the TCT bit could be used in a router. One more thing, the TCT bit has a 3/8"? shank so are there 1/2 to 3/8 shank coverters for router available anywhere?

If this is a stupid suggestion please say so - I don't particulary feel like experiencing WC shrapnel flying around the workshop.

Cheers

Dan
27th February 2006, 01:14 AM
Can't do it.

Wood Butcher
27th February 2006, 08:31 AM
It is possible as you can get adapter collets for 3/8 shank. The main problem is that if your router doesn't variable speed you may find the bit spinning way too fast. TCT bits like this are not always balanced to the tolerances that router bits are balanced to.

I have done this with TCT bits (38mm) that had a 1/2 inch shank with a slow router. Didn't work too bad.

Possibly the best option for what you wnat to do is this.
http://www.timbecon.com.au/assets/images/products/lugd-35-al.jpg
They are not the cheapest ( around $90) but they are good to use. They keep everything upright and you can clamp the base if you are worried about it wandering around the workpiece.

BobL
27th February 2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks Rowan

mat
27th February 2006, 12:30 PM
You can get cheaper versions of the stand Rowan pictured from Bunnings and the like. Instead of a second chuck they have a clamp to fix to your drill collar(assuming it has the standard round collar at the front)

Bob38S
28th February 2006, 10:09 AM
Use the router -
Have you thought of using a smaller bit [which you probably already have] and a template.
Make the template as per normal - clamp it to the bench where you need the hole - lower the bit in stages so as not to overload it. It shouldn't wander anywhere as it is contained by the template, you also have an accurate control over the depth.
Just a thought.
Bob